Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2009, 22:34   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Political Twittering

Are they not all guilty off twittering? PMSL
Old 28-02-2009, 23:28   #17
God Member

Twittering? I thought it was impersonating bird songs...like ..tweet tweet blah blah.. thats a sparrow!

Last edited by Mancie; 28-02-2009 at 23:35. Reason: sussed out on the spelling
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 23:33   #18
God Member

We should all revolt, installing Stephen Fry as absolute ruler of all British things. Abolish any form of attempted half arsed wimpy democracy and make redundant all politicians. Problem solved - no more annoying threads on politics
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 13:11   #19

Fair point, Andrew. I've been thinking about setting up a blog for a while now but I'm not sure. I find Facebook, email and, of course, Accyweb all useful ways of keeping in touch and contact.
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 17:37   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
Fair point, Andrew. I've been thinking about setting up a blog for a while now but I'm not sure. I find Facebook, email and, of course, Accyweb all useful ways of keeping in touch and contact.
I think as an elected representative blogs are a good way of putting out a positive message of what you're achieving. I personally don't think twitter is any good for this sort of thing. Maybe if you're Barack Obama, but not for MP's.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
We should all revolt, installing Stephen Fry as absolute ruler of all British things. Abolish any form of attempted half arsed wimpy democracy and make redundant all politicians. Problem solved - no more annoying threads on politics

I'd go for a partnership of Fry and Clarkson personally!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 23:26   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I think as an elected representative blogs are a good way of putting out a positive message of what you're achieving. I personally don't think twitter is any good for this sort of thing. Maybe if you're Barack Obama, but not for MP's.

Actually I think I'd like to take this back. I've started using Twitter and I actually think it's an absolutely fantastic way to get short amounts of information across. Currently I 'follow' things like BBC Breaking News, and political blogs, it allows me to just read through short amounts of very up to date text to find what I'm interested in reading.

I'd actually find it very useful and informative if MP's or in fact councillors used Twitter, now that I've had chance to get used to it.
Old 30-03-2009, 06:45   #23
God Member

Something for the soundbite generation of politicians to thrive under I suppose.
Old 30-03-2009, 06:56   #24
God Member

Quote:
Something for the soundbite generation of politicians to thrive under I suppose.
Could look at it that way. I see it as an easy way to browse through what's happening and hopefully ones requiring more detail will be linked to a blog.
Old 30-03-2009, 07:16   #25
God Member

Ah, but would such blog links be able to squeeze into the dreaded size zero of the cyber ether: 140 characters?

I only joined up last night. I haven't a clue how it all works just yet.
Old 30-03-2009, 08:46   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ah, but would such blog links be able to squeeze into the dreaded size zero of the cyber ether: 140 characters?

140 characters shaker, Jonesy would be snookered then wouldn't he
Old 30-03-2009, 09:30   #27
God Member

Quote:

Ahh well theres a way around this! This is a link to my blog: http://tinyurl.com/cexyhz

What's your Twitter link Shakermaker? Mines http://twitter.com/andrewbarrett

Last edited by andrewb; 30-03-2009 at 09:33.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01   #28
God Member

Expert April Fool by the Guardian yesterday:

Twitter switch for Guardian, after 188 years of ink | Media | The Guardian

"At a time of unprecedented challenge for all print media, many publications have rushed to embrace social networking technologies. Most now offer Twitter feeds of major breaking news headlines, while the Daily Mail recently pioneered an iPhone application providing users with a one-click facility for reporting suspicious behaviour by migrants or gays."
Old 02-04-2009, 09:21   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Expert April Fool by the Guardian yesterday:

Twitter switch for Guardian, after 188 years of ink | Media | The Guardian

"At a time of unprecedented challenge for all print media, many publications have rushed to embrace social networking technologies. Most now offer Twitter feeds of major breaking news headlines, while the Daily Mail recently pioneered an iPhone application providing users with a one-click facility for reporting suspicious behaviour by migrants or gays."
Can only presume that the Guardian will offer a similar facility as the Mail only for its none Job columns

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..