Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2020, 10:26   #1

Politics

Where do we get these so called "Brainy" individuals that are appointed to run the country.Gavin Williamson, Education Secretary, (ex fireplace saleman); the person responsible for the A level and G.C.S.E. results fiasco is whining that, "it is not my fault".
This is the politician that when defence secretary advocated buying agricultural tractors and fitting them with guns.(cheaper than tanks).
I thought at the time, "what a splendid idea"; when the Russians start throwing cabbages and potatoes at us we will be able to harvest them in order to feed the nation.
To quote Littlejohn of the Daily Mail, "You could not make it up".
Stay happy, the Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2020, 10:46   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Politics

to be honest taddy dont think any minister from any party is competant enough to make that descision? thats why williamson left it to those who are more likely to know, obviously they didnt.
Old 19-08-2020, 11:43   #3
Beacon of light

I think that some of the problems are caused by civil servants rather than the Ministers in office.
After all, how can someone move from defence to education and have no real experience in either, but be expected to oversee that department?
Well, the answer is they aren't. It is the civil servant that makes the decisions and feeds the minister a script.
Some ministers will take it upon themselves to gen themselves up on the department they are leading, but some may not.

The other thing about the education Fiasco is that they used computer modelling.....an algorithm....which is what they did with the Covid 19 situation....and look how that turned out. It was the algorithm that created the problem.
Algorithms are only as good as the person who formulated them......so we used to call the results RIRO(that was the polite version) Rubbish In - Rubbish Out.the impolite version was SISO....you can work that out for yourself can't you.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 11:59   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

The other thing about the education Fiasco is that they used computer modelling.....an algorithm....which is what they did with the Covid 19 situation....and look how that turned out. It was the algorithm that created the problem.
Can't understand that cock up, they know how many places there are at Universities, therefore how many students needed to fill those places, of course not all students go on to university they get on with real life, so, the number of pass grades equals number of uni places, plus a bit for those getting proper jobs now and a bit more for deaths from covid culling a few and there we have it everyone happy, all places filled plus it looks like teachers have also done well this year, AND, no-one blaming the politicians,, wins all around.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 12:14   #5
Beacon of light

Yes, but you have to match the University places to the right students.....or it all goes Pete Tong.

Not every student who goes to Uni makes a fist of it....is that because we have given them false expectations?
I knew no-one of my age or back ground who went to University.
I do know that many of us made successes of our lives....some of us went on to further education, many took on apprenticeships.
Uni is a very expensive way to get educated(if you believe that Uni educates).
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 19-08-2020, 12:20   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

it may be because some dont want to work for a living.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 19-08-2020, 12:41   #7
Beacon of light

I had considered that too....but eventually they have to work....and they have saddled themselves with a huge debt for the privilege of staying in 'education'.
Old 19-08-2020, 12:52   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Yes, but you have to match the University places to the right students.....
Since when?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 13:12   #9
Beacon of light

Well, that's the theory Less.
Whether it really happens in practice...I am not sure.
Old 20-08-2020, 07:35   #10
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1243568]
I knew no-one of my age or back ground who went to University.
I do know that many of us made successes of our lives....some of us went on to further education, many took on apprenticeships.

actually knew a few that did including one that went to girton college cambridge. however in the words of jean brodie, they were the creme de la creme. however i imagine that many of us if we were around now would have gone. a different world nowadays regarding education. whether its a better world i really doubt it. would have loved to have done a 3 year doss drinking and partying with a bit of study on dandilions and buttercups effect on the environment.
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:35   #11

Quote:
I had considered that too....but eventually they have to work....and they have saddled themselves with a huge debt for the privilege of staying in 'education'.
If I have read it right, if the student loans are not paid back after a certain number of years, then the loss is written off, (taxpayer's pay again).
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 09:07   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
If I have read it right, if the student loans are not paid back after a certain number of years, then the loss is written off, (taxpayer's pay again).
thats the way i read it also.so if they ignore whats the score then?
Old 20-08-2020, 09:55   #13
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I think you start paying once your pay scale hits a certain threshold....so if you never hit that then you pay nothing back.

I can't say I ever wanted to go to uni until my daughter went....and by that time I had got a lot of further education under my belt...and a lot of life experience too. But I was retired and it was not feasible.

There are quite a lot of courses at Uni that are not very good....and they certainly do not equip you for the workplace.
Employers have complained that the graduates applying for jobs are often not up to the task.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:11   #14
God Member

Quote:
Employers have complained that the graduates applying for jobs are often not up to the task.
mind you there is nothing new in that. if the jobs they applied for are of a more practical nature some graduates have always struggled. excellent on paper but thats the end of it. employers however cannot have it both ways. if they want an over educated workforce they have to put up with it. always horses for courses and will always be.
Old 20-08-2020, 10:21   #15
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1243613]I think you start paying once your pay scale hits a certain threshold....so if you never hit that then you pay nothing back.

was 21,000 a year when it first started plus a cut off anyway on reaching a certain age. there will be thousands of thousands lost in non payment over the years when people get lost to the system. bit like the poll tax that many managed to avoid.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..