Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should a new bus station be built in Accrington?
YES 10 83.33%
NO 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 12:59   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Poll: New bus station for Accrington

So your solution is to have fewer buses and the people who have to rely on public transport have to arrange to travel all at the same time so they can fill a bus? Tough if someone living in Clayton has a dental appointment for her toddler in Ossy then like a friend of mine last week.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2011, 13:24   #17
God Member

I am not suggesting that buses should only run full but prune the timetables at the times they run almost empty.
When arranging an appointment it is logical for it to be made to fit the timetable.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:29   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the existing bus station may be a bit less crowded if 2/3 buses didn't come along at the same time.
Old 06-08-2011, 13:44   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the existing bus station may be a bit less crowded if 2/3 buses didn't come along at the same time.
Exactly! - before privatisation the timetables were controlled by the council transport dept, so you didn't get several companies all turning up for the same passengers.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:38   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So your solution is to have fewer buses and the people who have to rely on public transport have to arrange to travel all at the same time so they can fill a bus? Tough if someone living in Clayton has a dental appointment for her toddler in Ossy then like a friend of mine last week.
If there were less buses on the same routes so the buses had more passengers on them would the fares not come down?

Running a bus that only has a few people on must be very expensive for the bus company which has to reflect in the bus fare.

Maybe passengers would not mind if the bus was every hour in stead of every 1/2 hour if the fare was cheaper.

I was talking with a bus driver last night and even he commented on how expensive the fares were.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54   #21
Resting in Peace

Thought this was interesting ... drop of 19% of young people taking their driving test since 2005 due to the cost of lessons, buying a car, etc. Do you think this could have a knock on effect and public transport will become more widely used ?

BBC News - Young drivers unable to afford cost of car insurance

My 21 year old granddaughter agreed with this in conversation yesterday. Even though she has in the past been offered driving lessons for birthdays, Christmas, etc., she never saw the point as couldn't afford to run a car when she obtained a driving licence.

Mind you, she is still a student and has the benefit of concessions on public transport.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:29   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Thought this was interesting ... drop of 19% of young people taking their driving test since 2005 due to the cost of lessons, buying a car, etc. Do you think this could have a knock on effect and public transport will become more widely used ?

My 21 year old granddaughter agreed with this in conversation yesterday. Even though she has in the past been offered driving lessons for birthdays, Christmas, etc., she never saw the point as couldn't afford to run a car when she obtained a driving licence.

Mind you, she is still a student and has the benefit of concessions on public transport.
Kate young people get a taxi now where we would have caught the bus down town on a Saturday night and one on the return trip where we would have walked it home after the con two steps forward three back
Old 07-08-2011, 09:41   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Kate young people get a taxi now where we would have caught the bus down town on a Saturday night and one on the return trip where we would have walked it home after the con two steps forward three back
Maybe some of them on a Saturday night, Jaysay. I am talking about their day journeys ... don't know of any that can afford taxis for these.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:

...and not forgetting the biggest cost for young drivers, insurance.

Which can be astronomic.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and not forgetting the biggest cost for young drivers, insurance.

Which can be astronomic.
Ya I recon if a 17 or 18 year old (the age I passed my test) tries to get insurance in their own name they'll be lucky even to get it, even then £2000 will be around the figure they are charged if not more
Old 07-08-2011, 10:35   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Maybe some of them on a Saturday night, Jaysay. I am talking about their day journeys ... don't know of any that can afford taxis for these.
Lots of people at work use taxi's to get here.
If you can pick up a few friends on the way it can sometimes work out cheaper that the bus. Especially if all 4 are full fare paying adults.
Old 07-08-2011, 19:48   #27
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When arranging an appointment it is logical for it to be made to fit the timetable.

I am sorry but I had to laugh at that suggestion. If other dentists and doctors are as difficult to book in with as mine then the idea of telling them you have to have an appointment to co-incide with the less frequent bus times would probably result in them telling you to find a different doctor/dentist - and that ain't easy.

I do think it's a problem on some routes where several companies cover the same journey but on longer journeys there are some differences between some routes, ie there are those which go round one estate and those which go round a different one. Between Accrington and Blackburn some are direct and some go through Ossy. Some less popular routes end up being scrapped altogether and leaving the few people who rely on buses then totally dependant on friends to give them a lift (not always available) or a more expensive taxi.

My daughter and I went to visit a friend in hospital in Liverpool last Thursday and for an hour and a half visit it took us all day travelling on public transport. It needs to be easier and more conventient, not more hassle and less available.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:40   #28
Give, give, give member

Build it on top of the Coppice.

Apply for art funding, to cover the costs.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..