Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2006, 09:35   #1
Resting in Peace

Pompii

Anyone see the live prog on C5 last night on Vesuvius, Pompii and Herculaneum, it was very interesting to say the least. Some 40 years ago I accually went down inside Vesuvius 22 years after its last erruption. From being very small I was always interested in this Volcano as the last time it errupted in 1944 my Father was accually there to see the event, not by choice, but at the insistance of HMG. I also spent some 4 hours wandering round Pompii which was also a great experiance, the one thing that really struck me was there were more lizards than In the sci fi classic V, which has just been rerun on the sci fi channel on Sky. If anyone gets the chance to visit this area on holiday I can recommend a trip to these two places, as its something you'll remember for the rest of your life.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2006, 13:41   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Pompii

Did you meet Frankie Howard?
Old 29-06-2006, 16:19   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: Pompii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Did you meet Frankie Howard?
Just missed him me old Butty
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 17:10   #4
Member.

I saw it and yes it was very interesting, not lest for the very comely Edwina who I couldn’t take my eyes off. What I didn’t enjoy was Peter Snow. I just don’t enjoy the man’s delivery and he as for me ruined many a good programme.

The programme itself was excellent and I would have loved to see much more, I hope to visit both towns sometime in the future god willing. Petra is another place I’d love to see.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 19:05   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I saw it and yes it was very interesting, not lest for the very comely Edwina who I couldn’t take my eyes off. What I didn’t enjoy was Peter Snow. I just don’t enjoy the man’s delivery and he as for me ruined many a good programme.

The programme itself was excellent and I would have loved to see much more, I hope to visit both towns sometime in the future god willing. Petra is another place I’d love to see.
Can't agree with you there Doug about Edwina (no not female jealousy), thought she was rubbish as a presenter, scripted, nervous and not really making the interviewee feel relaxed. As for Peter Snow, complete opposite, showing his age a little I'm afraid and thought he might fall over at any minute.

Back to the programme, absolutely wonderful, particularly as I was there in early May and was everything I imagined. You don't have to shut your eyes to see the shops, water systems, roads, social structure, brothels, paintings in the houses 'tis there to see.

What I liked the best was they showed you the areas that were not available to the public 'cause there had been too much souvenir pinching.
Did fall asleep half way through from exhaustion which I was extremely angry about, wished I had recorded.

Here are a couple of pics. I took whilst I was there.

P5080070.JPGP5080071.JPG
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 20:45   #6

I missed this programme, hopefully it will be repeated soon. I really enjoy seeing programmes about Pompeii etc.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 21:38   #7

Already booked mine the wifes and childs excursion there (September). Our ship docks nearer there !

Missed it as i had to play football i hope it re-runs!

Blackburn Rovers Supporters Football Club

Club Website: www.brsfc.com
wozaup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 22:50   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was glued to the telly for once lol was a fascinating programme would love to have a real sneck at it, maybe will do it wozaups way as don,t really want a full holiday in italy.
Old 30-06-2006, 07:17   #9
Resident Waffler

I must admit to being one of those people who has a small piece of Pompeii but in my defense it wasn't me wot nicked it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pomptile.JPG (12.5 KB, 7 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 09:30   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Lol Willow..... I'm glad you never nicked it but can you tell me what it is as it looks like a dissected kidney...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 17:21   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Lol Willow..... I'm glad you never nicked it but can you tell me what it is as it looks like a dissected kidney...
Oh my goodness, Lettie ! it does ! Think is time you got out of nursing .. getting to ya' ... tee hee.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 23:40   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I must admit to being one of those people who has a small piece of Pompeii but in my defense it wasn't me wot nicked it.
its a known fact willow that 95% of jailbirds protest innocence.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..