Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2006, 23:28   #1
Give, give, give member

More nature trails.

Following on from threads about Foxy-Loxy and Mrs Tiggywinkle, I'd like your help with another question about nature.

Have you got snails?

I've been quite keen on gardening since being a child. Growing up in Oswaldtwistle in the 60's/70's we didn't have any snails. There were plenty of slugs, but no snails. In fact snails seemed quite exotic. Brian on the Magic Roundabout being the only one I knew personally.

When I lived in London my garden had lots of snails. This is were I wish I knew the collective noun for snails but I don't, but there were hundreds of the shell inhabiting blighters.

When I left London to move to a gardenless flat in Scotland, all my tubs of plants came back to Lancashire. Some to my cousin at Knuzden, but most to my Mother's in Ossy. Since moving back to Oswaldtwistle I've reclaimed my plants and they sit happily at my door.

Sadly what's also sat happily at my door, eating anything that takes their fancy, are the snails. There are also colonies in Knuzden and at my Mums.

I've been blamed for bringing London snails to Lancashire, somewhat unfairly I believe. My defence is that global warming has brought the snails to the wet, warm north, and that they have migrated here of their own free will.

Do you have snails, or are these isolated cases that I've inflicted on members of my family and my neighbours?

Please help. I'm living with guilt I don't feel I deserve.
:e32: :e32: :e32: :e32: :e32: :e32: :e32:

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2006, 23:41   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: More nature trails.

Yeh, course we got snails Garinda, two climbing up patio door window as I speak.

Grandaughter used to collect from my garden and keep as pets. Once won 'most unusual pet' competition at Scout Open Day. 'Course she had only collected them that day and let them go when she got home (quite kind really) .. tee hee.

Question is, how can I tell the difference between a London snail and a Lancashire snail ?

Oh Look .. one wearing a cloth cap, the other a bowler, that it ? Sure you lot have better suggestions than this.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 23:43   #3
Give, give, give member

How long have you had snails though Kate?

I mean your garden not you personally?

Dates are vital for my defence.

Old 26-06-2006, 23:44   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

you didnt bring em from london rindy they set off before you were born and arrived at the same time as you.
Old 26-06-2006, 23:46   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
you didnt bring em from london rindy they set off before you were born and arrived at the same time as you.

But have we always had snails in Lancashire?

Did I not see any growing up because they were too scared to come into my garden?

Old 26-06-2006, 23:50   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
How long have you had snails though Kate?

I mean your garden not you personally?

Dates are vital for my defence.
Errrrrrm .. reckon about .. ever since I moved here .. 32 years hence .. you just a sprogg then.

Cashman: you suggesting they knew about 'The Coming'
Old 26-06-2006, 23:54   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Errrrrrm .. reckon about .. ever since I moved here .. 32 years hence .. you just a sprogg then.

Cashman: you suggesting they knew about 'The Coming'

Thank you. If you've had them so long I'm not to blame.

Why did I never see any as a kid though, when I was weeding? I had all sorts of traps to get the damn slugs, glasses of old beer, upturned grapefruits, but never needed anything for snails.

Old 27-06-2006, 00:18   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

remember snails when i was young, you are NOT GUILTY.
Old 27-06-2006, 00:31   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
remember snails when i was young, you are NOT GUILTY.
Court adjourned .. ya' daft buggers.
Old 27-06-2006, 00:32   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Court adjourned .. ya' daft buggers.
Thank you Mi Lud.

Old 27-06-2006, 00:46   #11
Senior Member+

Strange that you started this thread Rindy. We were down the bar earlier (what a surprise!) and there was a programme on the tv, all about snails. Spanish commentary so I couldn't catch all of it but it appeared to be a snail breeding farm, probably for eating at some point.

It made me wonder how snails had babies! They put the eggs in plant pots and cared for them but how on earth does a snail egg get out of the shell?

I know, I'm stupid!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 05:59   #12

Good question June! i`ve no idea but looking forward to someone`s answer!!

I remember when i was young in the 70`s and my bro and i having snail races, and putting them all in a box and seeing who got out first. Now i hate the blighters and there`s loads of them in the back yard!

Did anybody ever watch Snailsbury Tales, kid`s cartoon? now they were cute snails
those were the days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 06:05   #13

Question Re: More nature trails.

Quote:

Why did I never see any as a kid though, when I was weeding? I had all sorts of traps to get the damn slugs, glasses of old beer, upturned grapefruits, but never needed anything for snails.
Are they attracted to certain plants or habitats or anything? like overflowing plants that provide good shelter for them in the sun? or walls with crevices in to hide out in? I`m just guessing, no idea really! just going of different places i`ve lived, some gardens seem more prone to snails than slugs or vice versa, and some have equal numbers.. Is it just luck of the draw where the happy little campers set up home?
Old 27-06-2006, 06:06   #14

Question Re: More nature trails.

Quote:

Are they attracted to certain plants or habitats or anything? like overflowing plants that provide good shelter for them in the sun? or walls with crevices in to hide out in? I`m just guessing, no idea really! just going of different places i`ve lived, some gardens seem more prone to snails than slugs or vice versa, and some have equal numbers.. Is it just luck of the draw where the happy little campers set up home?
Old 27-06-2006, 08:16   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by those were the days

They are, they love things like Hostas and Sweet Peas. In the 70's we never saw any, now there are hundreds of the munching beggars.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..