Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2006, 08:42   #16
God Member

Re: More nature trails.

We have tons of the little blighters, plus in a few weeks we'll be inundated by teeny tiny frogs (or could be toads, I have no idea really). The back of our house has steps down from the back garden to the back door and forms a path around the house that is closed in. So, the frogs hop down there (I don't know why) and then because they're only tiny they're not big enough to hop back up the steps so we spend weeks rescuing them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2006, 20:37   #17

Thumbs down Re: More nature trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Following on from threads about Foxy-Loxy and Mrs Tiggywinkle, I'd like your help with another question about nature.

Have you got snails?

I've been quite keen on gardening since being a child. Growing up in Oswaldtwistle in the 60's/70's we didn't have any snails. There were plenty of slugs, but no snails. In fact snails seemed quite exotic. Brian on the Magic Roundabout being the only one I knew personally.

When I lived in London my garden had lots of snails. This is were I wish I knew the collective noun for snails but I don't, but there were hundreds of the shell inhabiting blighters.

When I left London to move to a gardenless flat in Scotland, all my tubs of plants came back to Lancashire. Some to my cousin at Knuzden, but most to my Mother's in Ossy. Since moving back to Oswaldtwistle I've reclaimed my plants and they sit happily at my door.

Sadly what's also sat happily at my door, eating anything that takes their fancy, are the snails. There are also colonies in Knuzden and at my Mums.

I've been blamed for bringing London snails to Lancashire, somewhat unfairly I believe. My defence is that global warming has brought the snails to the wet, warm north, and that they have migrated here of their own free will.

Do you have snails, or are these isolated cases that I've inflicted on members of my family and my neighbours?

Please help. I'm living with guilt I don't feel I deserve.
:e32: :e32: :e32: :e32: :e32: :e32: :e32:
Two or three years ago, we only had slimy slugs. Now each year we have.....Snails. and not a slug in sight. I don't know where theyre from!!!
....................:engsmil:
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 21:23   #18
Resident Waffler

We don't have any snails here but plenty of slugs. My mother used to have snails. She lived up by the hospital.

I know the collective word for slugs is cornucopia but no idea what a group of snails is called.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 22:50   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle
Two or three years ago, we only had slimy slugs. Now each year we have.....Snails. and not a slug in sight. I don't know where theyre from!!!
....................:engsmil:

Thanks.

I told my Mum about this thread today, no matter what you say she still thinks it's me that brought the snails up from London.

Sadly they aren't very nice in garlic butter.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 23:06   #20
Senior Member+

Still no answer to how the snails have eggs though!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 23:21   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
Still no answer to how the snails have eggs though!
I don't know, but they do lay eggs after doing this 'special' dance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snails.jpg (71.2 KB, 6 views)

Old 28-06-2006, 00:34   #22
Senior Member+

Rindy, you are as daft as I am. I just need to know how the eggs get out!!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 01:20   #23
God Member

Snails have a shell on their back, they still have a tail.
They don't like the sun, it dries their slime up that they use to get about. they produce the slime which acts as a lubricant and helps them stick to windows etc. They get about by rippling muscles along.
the longer tenticles are the 'eyes' the shorter are the 'nose' they breath through a small hole in it head, if you look close you'll see little white dots running around on a slug, so even little pets have little pets.
Snails were declining at one time, perhaps thats why you didn't see any rindy, but by what your saying they're increasing again.

hedgehogs also like worms, but they too are on the decline mainly because of an imported nasty worm that eats our english worms. Never get rid of garden worms, as well as a source of food for mr bristle the hedgehog, they make holes in the soil, which helps plants to grow better and helps the soil to drain better.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 06:50   #24
Junior Member+

good morning to you , at last some one with down to earth views. we live in clayton on what once was sefton farm, and yeeeees we have snails, and plenty of the other slimy fellows those little slugs, we love to hate. my plants would live alot longer if we could eradicate the little fellows.
fluffydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 08:36   #25
Senior Member+

Snails have always been here i remember poking their eyes when i was younger and my little girl used to collect hundreds in a bucket count them and then let em go because soo many in the bucket grossed her out!! lol
Old 28-06-2006, 11:34   #26

I can,t remember seeing snails when I lived in England there were plenty of slugs though. we have snails here in Oz , a empty icecream container with a few drops of beer seems to catch them,
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 02:10   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydoll
good morning to you , at last some one with down to earth views. we live in clayton on what once was sefton farm, and yeeeees we have snails, and plenty of the other slimy fellows those little slugs, we love to hate. my plants would live alot longer if we could eradicate the little fellows.
good morning.
egg shells work to a certain extent, also beer traps as expat says, they also say copper rings, but I'm not sure if it's the copper, or if they don't like the sharp top to the ring.

I even get snails on my roof garden, ones on top of the ground floor the others on top of first floor they climb up just eat my hostas .
Old 29-06-2006, 04:55   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I even get snails on my roof garden, ones on top of the ground floor the others on top of first floor they climb up just eat my hostas .
I presume the hostas are in tubs if they are in a roof garden?

Rub the rim of the tubs with petroleum jelly and hey presto snails/slugs can't get at their tastiest snacks.

Cheaper than the copper rings because a large tub of vaseline can do a whole garden.

Old 01-07-2006, 00:26   #29
God Member

Hmmm, good idea but the leaves touch the other plants that are in other pots. bit cramped on there that bit's only about six foot square, If I ever get it looking decent this year, I'll take a pic. I've lost most of my bedding plants, some git pinched two whole trays, 48 plants, so I hid the rest untill i put them out but then couln't get to water them. so lost another tray. why do be people have to be such selfish b...... I only like doing them because they brighten the street and block up some times it really gets me down and I wonder why I bother with the plants or christmas lights.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..