Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 22:12   #1
Senior Member+

Pound shops....be warned, a pure rip off!

After the 2.5% reduction in VAT have the pound shops reduced their prices and changed their names to the Ninety Seven. eighty seven pence shops?

I think not...

Next time you're in, try asking for your 2.13p change...and see whats said..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2008, 22:24   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pound shops....be warned, a pure rip off!

well it aint the end of the world G.G. but get yer point.
Old 07-12-2008, 22:25   #3
Give, give, give member

As prices in there haven't risen for quite some while, the first one I remember was the fifty pence shop in Liverpool in the early eighties, and we've still got inflation, even though it's low at the moment, they might tell you to whistle for your money.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 22:30   #4
Give, give, give member

I'd be careful...they might start charging you a pound for a carrier bag!

Old 07-12-2008, 22:34   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As prices in there haven't risen for quite some while, the first one I remember was the fifty pence shop in Liverpool in the early eighties, and we've still got inflation, even though it's low at the moment, they might tell you to whistle for your money.
And with good cause.....A pound shop is just that and if you don't think I'ts value for money, go somewhere else. It will still be £1.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 07-12-2008 at 22:44.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 22:47   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well it aint the end of the world G.G. but get yer point.

It is a good example of what many shops are doing. Increasing the net price and not passing on the reduction to the customers.
Old 07-12-2008, 22:56   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is a good example of what many shops are doing. Increasing the net price and not passing on the reduction to the customers.
There is no legislation in place to do so.
The well thought out plan's of mice and men, yet another cock up from the powers that be.
The extra profit from this maladministration will be taxed at scource anyway so you loose the government win....again.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 22:59   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
After the 2.5% reduction in VAT have the pound shops reduced their prices and changed their names to the Ninety Seven. eighty seven pence shops?

I think not...

Next time you're in, try asking for your 2.13p change...and see whats said..
A million Scotsmen every day open a tin of beans and say!

There's one missing Jimmy

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 23:28   #9
Give, give, give member

Don't forget this reduction in V.A.T. is only temporary.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:13   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I stood the Markets back in the early 80s Rindi, when I worked for Ray Lindon, he did nothing but 50p stalls on numerous markets and made quite a good do out of it as well, I often went to Manchester buying the goods and there was always around 15% to 20% mark up if I remember rightly
Old 08-12-2008, 11:11   #11
Senior Member+

Anyone recall the two shops in Blackpool heading towards Southshore...one sold everything at 2 shilling 11 pence, and then a rival set up selling everything for 2 shilling 10 pence!

Talking of Ray Linden Jaysay, is he still in Blackpool, know he went back there but hav'nt seen him around for years now.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Anyone recall the two shops in Blackpool heading towards Southshore...one sold everything at 2 shilling 11 pence, and then a rival set up selling everything for 2 shilling 10 pence!

Talking of Ray Linden Jaysay, is he still in Blackpool, know he went back there but hav'nt seen him around for years now.

Best Regards - Taggy
The last time I saw Ray was in Blackpool, He had the Store 99 in what was Woollies near the Central Station, that was over 20 years ago, never seen hide nor hair of him since
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Pound shops....be warned, a pure rip off!

It has been reported that many shops are not recalculating their prices to reflect the reduction in vat, as it would be too time consuming and not cost effect. Well they do have a point, up to a point.

But you can bet your sweet life that when the vat is put back to 17½% it will suddenly become not just possible but a must.

All Darling/Brown’s tinkering has done is put up prices in the future.

In spite of all the rhetoric coming out of the government, there is still no sign that the energy companies are going to reduce their prices, because the price of oil has tumbled.

I heard the other day that British Gas is sending a cheque for £15 to customers for “being good payers”, but no overall reduction.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:36   #14

Hey Up, I know i don't post too often but when i do !!! anyway, The maths in the opening post are wrong, let me explain....

In order to apply the new rate of VAT, we need to take VAT at 17.5% off the previous selling price, then work out 15% on this value and add that back on. This means that the actual discount on the previous VAT inclusive price works out at about 2.13%.

Example:

A product priced on the shelf at £11.75 (inclusive of VAT). First take off the 17.5% previous rate of VAT (£1.75), this means the actual product price is £10 Now apply the new VAT rate of 15% to the £10 product price (£1.50), resulting in a new price of £11.50 The total reduction to the retail price is 25p or 2.13%.

.... i'll get my coat!
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:42   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I like a bit of maths, carry on

Most big stores (B&Q, PC World etc) are correcting the VAT at the till by adding a discount. I suspect this is a temporary measure until they reprice everything

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..