Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05   #1
Resting in Peace

Do you still have manners

Was reading an article the other day which said that people in this country no longer have manners, no one says please and thank you any more. Well I would think that's an insult to many people, especially the older end. I for one have always said please and thank you, because that how I was brought up, and I haven't changed. Irrespective of who I am dealing with its the right thing to do, especially now that I have to rely so much on other people, so I'm only to grateful for any one's help. Doesn't mater to me whether its my close family or mates who give up their time just to spend the odd hour to say hello mate how are you, I always say thanks for coming. Do you think we have lost our manners or not?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:11   #2
God Member

Re: Do you still have manners

I certainly haven't like you I was brought up to be polite and I still am. I drummed it into my kids and my grandchildren have none since they were babies that if they don't use the "magic" word they don't get. Having said that I do think society in general has let their manners slip and it is a shame, it costs nothing to be polite.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25   #3

My 17-year-old stepson has had a bubble wrapped upbringing because of two, life-changing, quite harrowing events (for a child). However, it means historically, he's always been given what he wants, so now he never says "please" or "thank you" (among his other problems). He doesn't ask for anything from me, because he knows he won't get unless he makes the effort.

It's second nature with my nine-year-old, though. He realises what he's done immediately if he has one of his very occasional lapses...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41   #4
Give, give, give member

Bad manners, especially not saying please and thank you, drives me mad.

I may be guilty of bad manners myself when I see it, as very often, when being served in a shop for example, and the amount required is just stated, and any change is given without any form of social nicety passing the person's lips, I very often ask them why I don't deserve a please or thank you.

It crosses all age barriers.

I watch Eggheads on television, and the host, at the moment Jeremy Vine, asks the contestants if they's like to go first or second. About half of the people asked reply with a brusque 'first/second', to the accompaniment of my shouts of 'please!'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:54   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Bad manners, especially not saying please and thank you, drives me mad.

I may be guilty of bad manners myself when I see it, as very often, when being served in a shop for example, and the amount required is just stated, and any change is given without any form of social nicety passing the person's lips, I very often ask them why I don't deserve a please or thank you.

It crosses all age barriers.

I watch Eggheads on television, and the host, at the moment Jeremy Vine, asks the contestants if they's like to go first or second. About half of the people asked reply with a brusque 'first/second', to the accompaniment of my shouts of 'please!'
Can't agree more Rindi, the magic words just come out naturally to me, even on the telephone, it just comes out without thinking
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05   #6

Yes it certainly annoys me and i seem to get it more in supermarkets and shops with the younger generation being the shop assistants so who do we hold respsonsible for that i know does anyone else.
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 13:11   #7
Resting in Peace

I remember my daughter coming running in one day when she was about five shouting Ice cream Ice cream.Her mother said what's the magic word.

She thought for a while and then said.

Abracadabra! Still laugh at that one.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 13:11   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Do you still have manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was reading an article the other day which said that people in this country no longer have manners, no one says please and thank you any more. Well I would think that's an insult to many people, especially the older end. I for one have always said please and thank you, because that how I was brought up, and I haven't changed. Irrespective of who I am dealing with its the right thing to do, especially now that I have to rely so much on other people, so I'm only to grateful for any one's help. Doesn't mater to me whether its my close family or mates who give up their time just to spend the odd hour to say hello mate how are you, I always say thanks for coming. Do you think we have lost our manners or not?
In short and in the main the answer is yes.

I know that there are times when I get some funny looks when I say please when asking for something and then thank you after receiving it.

Excuse me is another phrase that seems to have gone AWOL. People just push past you these days – even some of the older generation.
Old 03-12-2008, 13:53   #9
Senior Member+

Manners Cost Nothing.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 14:21   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Yes, basically I have.
However I find that there is an increasing number of people from all generations that can be considered ill mannered.

The young people that have been dragged up to know, no better, fortunately most aren't of that ilk, (thank you, parents with standards).

The women of any age that sneer at you rather than say thank you because you held a door open, (strange that one, I also hold doors open for men of all ages and usually get thanked).

The older generation, that think because they have managed to reach that age they can demand people to be courteous, while they push the same folk to one side.

We all can and should be a little better mannered, it's when we all give up and act like the worst examples instead of attempting to maintain standards that things will go completely wrong.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 14:43   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Jeremy Vine, asks the contestants if they's like to go first or second. About half of the people asked reply with a brusque 'first/second'
Do the other half not understand the question
Old 03-12-2008, 14:45   #12
Resting in Peace

Less, Me & Benipete all have manners .............we always say thankyou to anyone that buys us a pint thankyou
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 15:46   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yes I do have manners .... and thanks a bunch for asking
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 15:56   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yes I do have manners .... and thanks a bunch for asking
Don't mention it
Old 03-12-2008, 16:24   #15
God Member

I know the risks of making sweeping generalizations; however, I will say that, in general, Canadians are a well-mannered bunch ... particularly outside of the GTA, which, like all large cities is a little cold and unfriendly. Maybe it has to do with the "small town" atmosphere which informs our society. Sometimes the politeness seems to go a little overboard into formality, but it is still there. There are areas of Canada, particularly the Maritime provinces and the Prairie provinces which are renowned for having a large number of just downright really nice, polite and helpful folks.

There are aspects of this politeness that annoy me a little; one is, "have a nice day." I sometimes respond with "no thanks, I've made other plans." None take this the wrong way, and it sometimes raises a slight giggle or two.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..