Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 16:49   #16

Re: Do you still have manners

Manners maketh the man.
"Remember us." As simple an order as a king can give. "Remember why we died." For he did not wish tribute, nor song, nor monuments nor poems of war and valour. His wish was simple. "Remember us," he said to me. That was his hope, should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be. May all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones, "Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here by Spartan law, we lie."
Meccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2008, 17:05   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

There are aspects of this politeness that annoy me a little; one is, "have a nice day." I sometimes respond with "no thanks, I've made other plans." None take this the wrong way, and it sometimes raises a slight giggle or two.
So you were delighted with the George Carling 'have a nice day' youtube clip I sent you in your birthday thread?
I thought his attitude would be the same as yours

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 18:19   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So you were delighted with the George Carling 'have a nice day' youtube clip I sent you in your birthday thread?
I thought his attitude would be the same as yours
Thanx hon ... just found the birthday thread ... I thought that it might pass without comment ... however, I enjoyed reading everyone's good wishes, and I loved the Carlin clip

At the risk of being overly polite: thanks a bunch, and all you guys over the pond "have a nice day, eh!"

And now back to the constitutional crisis raging in Ottawa .... I know that the foreign media will, as usual, ignore news from here .... but the crisis shows that we are anything but boring in the Great White North. Polite, yes, but never as boring as some think we are.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 18:23   #19
God Member

Please can we stop banging our heads on the wall in regard to expecting manners from the mannerless? Thank you!
Old 03-12-2008, 19:31   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Please can we stop banging our heads on the wall in regard to expecting manners from the mannerless? Thank you!
You are welcome
Old 03-12-2008, 20:16   #21
Senior Member+

My daughter gets a lift to school every day and the husband and wife who share this duty told me just the other week that she never fails to say thank you and is entertaining and polite , more so than her peers. That makes me very proud, I feel it's a job well done, and I appreciate good manners in others too, I hold doors open for others and offer my seat on public transport, must be an upbringing thang!
I have now started to ignore customers who spend the transaction talking on their mobile, I just stand there, mute, until they raise their eyebrows and wonder what's taking so long....... " Hang up you ignoramus"
Old 03-12-2008, 20:38   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote;
I have now started to ignore customers who spend the transaction talking on their mobile, I just stand there, mute, until they raise their eyebrows and wonder what's taking so long....... " Hang up you ignoramus"

I held the door open for a young girl the other day,She got halfway through and started texting leaving me stood there like cheese at fourpence holding the door open,I let it go,you can guess the rest

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 20:41   #23
God Member

On the rare occasions I have bought from a shop this year, I did notice that the assistant looked surprised when I said 'please' and 'thank you'.
The result was a warm smile - manners are appreciated

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 20:43   #24
God Member

Quote:
On the rare occasions I have bought from a shop this year, I did notice that the assistant looked surprised when I said 'please' and 'thank you'.
Try shoplifting, then you don't have to interact with anyone
Old 03-12-2008, 20:43   #25
God Member

Oh, and have a nice day
Old 03-12-2008, 20:45   #26
God Member

I would stick around and give some more fine examples of Canadian courtesy; but the news is coming on, and I have to go see if we still have a government. If that's ok with you guys
Old 03-12-2008, 20:57   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

I can't abide bad manners. If I, for example, hold a door open for someone who does not say, "Thank you", I will say it for them, loudly, as they sail past me - just as you would to a small child when teaching it to be polite.

I expect people to be polite to me as I would not dream of being anything else to others. I was brought up that way, I brought up my children that way and they have brought up their own children similarly.

Sadly, we now live in a selfish world where manners are thought of as unnecessary but there is still politeness around, even among the very young. It's so refreshing when you come across it.
Old 03-12-2008, 20:59   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:

most look at you like your from another planet when you say please and thank you:

service would not go a miss in some shops.... but hey we can't have everything:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 21:06   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

some shop assistants could do with a manners lesson, was at the till in Tesco monday dinner, n asked the girl nicely could i have some bags please, the uppity cow, then proceeded into a what i can only describe as n tirade, saying we are not allowed to put them on the counter, its to encourage re-cycling, fair enough,but it was the manner she said it in. i replied ok fair enough, now you can either give me the bags,or put that lot back on the shelves n i will go to asda! never seen a puss as scarlet so quickly, i got the bags. good manners cost nowt its that simple.
Old 03-12-2008, 21:10   #30
God Member

I'm a stickler for manners and have tried to instill good manners in my children. I don't think I've done a bad job as others who have looked after them have commented on their good manners.

Children learn from their parents and if they are not taught manners at home they won't have any. If they are barked at and shouted at then they will do the same to others.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..