Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 21:25   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Do you still have manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

Children learn from their parents and if they are not taught manners at home they won't have any. If they are barked at and shouted at then they will do the same to others.
got it in one Lilly.
Old 03-12-2008, 21:34   #32
God Member

Well, I guess we still have a govt. of sorts for now ... see what happens when the PM very politely addresses the nation at 7 tonite .... but what an ill-mannered bunch politicians are when one side is fighting for power, and the other, political survival. One of the problems with Canadian politicians is that they give us bs and bad manners in two official languages.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 00:03   #33
white rabbits

I always say please and thank you..its only common courtesy,,
,Like Eggheads i find a lot of people on Countdown never say please either when asking for letters, i always will them to lose ,,,
Old 04-12-2008, 09:17   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
some shop assistants could do with a manners lesson, was at the till in Tesco monday dinner, n asked the girl nicely could i have some bags please, the uppity cow, then proceeded into a what i can only describe as n tirade, saying we are not allowed to put them on the counter, its to encourage re-cycling, fair enough,but it was the manner she said it in. i replied ok fair enough, now you can either give me the bags,or put that lot back on the shelves n i will go to asda! never seen a puss as scarlet so quickly, i got the bags. good manners cost nowt its that simple.
Your trouble is your to much of a gentleman cashy, I'd have just said stick your store and walked out leaving her to explain to her manager what had happened and why her till was full of groceries
Old 04-12-2008, 09:58   #35
Resting in Peace

Feel I am reluctant to agree with you on this one Jaysay. Ever since our last thread on this subject, I have taken particular notice of people's manners and can honestly say have never been treated rudely by the general public whilst out and about.

No-one has failed to thank me for holding the door open, and all have apologised if bumped into me by accident. Even a slight collision of supermarket trolleys has invited an "Oops Sorry" even when it was obviously my fault.

I will continue, however, to carry on 'bad manner spotting' and duly submit my report...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:08   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Feel I am reluctant to agree with you on this one Jaysay. Ever since our last thread on this subject, I have taken particular notice of people's manners and can honestly say have never been treated rudely by the general public whilst out and about.

No-one has failed to thank me for holding the door open, and all have apologised if bumped into me by accident. Even a slight collision of supermarket trolleys has invited an "Oops Sorry" even when it was obviously my fault.

I will continue, however, to carry on 'bad manner spotting' and duly submit my report...
Thats great kate (I'm a poet and I didn't know it) you should be okay you won't be bumping into me
Old 04-12-2008, 11:21   #37

Please And Thank You Dont Cost Anything
[tell All Your Friends And Thier Children]
Good Manners Are Not Only A Problem In England, But Here In Australia Too
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:23   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thats great kate (I'm a poet and I didn't know it) you should be okay you won't be bumping into me
Whilst I am out and about,
I do not feel the need to shout,
About 'P's' and 'Q's' around my town,
'Course you may come across the odd clown !

I am grateful I am still able,
To view racks of clothes with their swinging label,
Unlike our gentlemanly member named Jaysay,
Sure he would prefer to be out there in the fray !

xx

Ok .. as they say, will now get my boots and warm coat on ...
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
i find a lot of people on Countdown never say please either when asking for letters, i always will them to lose ,,,
I can shed light on that one for you.

My mum was once a contestant on Countdown back in the day when it was hosted by Richard Whiteley.

In all the bumph she was sent prior to filming there was a list of dos and don'ts.......don't wear this, don't say that etc.

One of the points was 'When playing the letters game please do not say please and thankyou after every letter. Just once or twice is sufficient.'
Old 04-12-2008, 16:12   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Whilst I am out and about,
I do not feel the need to shout,
About 'P's' and 'Q's' around my town,
'Course you may come across the odd clown !

I am grateful I am still able,
To view racks of clothes with their swinging label,
Unlike our gentlemanly member named Jaysay,
Sure he would prefer to be out there in the fray !

xx

Ok .. as they say, will now get my boots and warm coat on ...
One of your better ideas kate
Old 04-12-2008, 20:23   #41
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I can shed light on that one for you.

My mum was once a contestant on Countdown back in the day when it was hosted by Richard Whiteley.

In all the bumph she was sent prior to filming there was a list of dos and don'ts.......don't wear this, don't say that etc.

One of the points was 'When playing the letters game please do not say please and thankyou after every letter. Just once or twice is sufficient.'
Thanks Lilly,i diddent mean after EVERY letter ,the rude people i am on about never said please at all,not even once,,,,
Old 04-12-2008, 22:23   #42
God Member

Yes I do still have manners, My mother always taught me it cost nothing to have manners.
My own children always say please and thankyou(although on some occasions its "cheers mate " from the lads)
Our 5 yr old grandson always says please and thankyou and knows he wont get without manners. But as already said manners are taught from elders so if a child dosent have them theres only the elders to blame. On the other hand school should also teach them

I get so angry when i come across people that dont have manners, Its rude and totally uncalled for
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34   #43

My son, (must be different to the secret grand- lovechild Cherokees on about cos he's 4 ) has been brought up to say please and thank you. We are working on excuse me at the mo. He does sometimes get over excited and forgets, but a quick prompt brings the correct response. His first words (and I;m sure hes not the only one), were ma, da, and ta, so I'm not sure its right targetting the younger generation for the lapse.

I actually find the older generation worse than anyone for lacking manners. Its hard to teach a child the social niceties when you open doors for older people and they just barge through without a word. I dont know if older people are reluctant to respond through fear of engaging with someone or whatever.

My pet hate is when driving around, and if you let someone out, they dont raise their hand to say thanks, again the main culprits are older drivers. Winds me up badly, and I'm often tempted to give my own hand gesture just to remind them
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 17:21   #44
Resting in Peace

E-on called on Thursday ... was out and he left a card to say would be returning Friday afternoon.

E-on, of course, read Gas and Electricity (if you have both with them) ... but the reader had put on the card 'Electricity please'. Thought this was quite sweet ... missed him again though on the Friday.
Old 07-12-2008, 22:13   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
E-on called on Thursday ... was out and he left a card to say would be returning Friday afternoon.

E-on, of course, read Gas and Electricity (if you have both with them) ... but the reader had put on the card 'Electricity please'. Thought this was quite sweet ... missed him again though on the Friday.
A girl can get herself a bad name.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..