Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2012, 07:31   #1
Senior Member+

Problem Gambling

Interesting to see the local MPs crusade against betting shops and Fixed Odds Betting Terminals.

Hyndburn MP Graham Jones and betting chain William Hill at odds over shops (From Lancashire Telegraph)

It seems he's got his facts wrong, though. Only 11 betting shops in Hyndburn, not 22.

And I'd be intrigued to see someone lose £18,000 in an hour on a FOBT. It would mean feeding 360 £50 notes into the machine one by one. That allows 10 seconds for each note.......but my experience is that it can take up to a minute for the machine to accept a note. And that doen't leave time to spin the wheel and lose the money! So a physical impossibility, methinks.

Graham might have a valid argument about making gambling too easy, but he spoils it by showing a complete lack of knowledge about the workings of a betting shop, and omits to mention the harmless enjoyment that betting shops give to thousands of Hyndburn resdidents, and the valuable employment that it brings to the area.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-09-2012, 08:01   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Problem Gambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
.......It seems he's got his facts wrong, though. Only 11 betting shops in Hyndburn, not 22.
When I read the newspaper story I understood it as meaning there are 22 Fixed odds betting terminals in Hyndburn not 22 betting shops.

Have William Hill misunderstood what Graham said or have the Telegraph worded it in a confusing way?
Old 20-09-2012, 08:11   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

And I'd be intrigued to see someone lose £18,000 in an hour on a FOBT. It would mean feeding 360 £50 notes into the machine one by one. That allows 10 seconds for each note.......but my experience is that it can take up to a minute for the machine to accept a note. And that doen't leave time to spin the wheel and lose the money! So a physical impossibility, methinks.
From what I understand, if you take your money to the counter they have a system of putting credit on these machines remotely, so it would only take the cashier the time to count the money before the machine was credited, then the idiot punter could walk over to the machine make the wrong bet and then walk out of the place, perhaps, without complaining because nobody forced him to do it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 15:47   #4

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
When I read the newspaper story I understood it as meaning there are 22 Fixed odds betting terminals in Hyndburn not 22 betting shops.

Have William Hill misunderstood what Graham said or have the Telegraph worded it in a confusing way?
Nope it was 22 betting shops..as usual Jones has jumped on a bandwagon based on incorrect information supplied to him from the fairer gambling campaign.

Graham Jones MP: Hyndburns Fixed Odds Betting Terminals; The Crack Cocaine of Gambling

Its so very typical of him to leap before he looks...guess he doesn't know the postcodes used in his own constituency. Also notice how only positive comments from the LT are shown on his website, and how most of his researchers quotes backing his statement come from the Daily Mail....

Love how our Ken posts his standard 'Graham is right' and calls his electorate 'armchair critics'.

Can the labour party please put someone electable forward at the next election
Old 20-09-2012, 16:41   #5
JFT96

The last Labour government changed the rules of a segment of amusement games, they argued that 'so called' quiz machines were not skill but fixed odds, thus attracting taxation. They then asked for back taxation from the operators and manufactures of these machines. I know this because my Father ran one such company, he made 30 people redundant in one day thanks to the tax grab, the business, a UK manufacturer went under and a lot of innovative ideas died.

Now our MP, has decided to declare war on these machines, they for the most part are made in the UK by Barcrest, Bell Fruit, JPM to name but few. This is a large industry that employs thousands directly.
Odd behaviour for a MP apparently committed to the working man/woman (for the pc brigade)

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 17:47   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
The last Labour government changed the rules of a segment of amusement games, they argued that 'so called' quiz machines were not skill but fixed odds, thus attracting taxation. They then asked for back taxation from the operators and manufactures of these machines. I know this because my Father ran one such company, he made 30 people redundant in one day thanks to the tax grab, the business, a UK manufacturer went under and a lot of innovative ideas died.

Now our MP, has decided to declare war on these machines, they for the most part are made in the UK by Barcrest, Bell Fruit, JPM to name but few. This is a large industry that employs thousands directly.
Odd behaviour for a MP apparently committed to the working man/woman (for the pc brigade)
Graham Jones is committed to Graham Jones BG
Old 20-09-2012, 17:51   #7
JFT96

Very true Jay,
Also I have just realised, if Mr Jones is so committed to stemming Gambleing in the Uk, why does he not question the rise of Internet gaming, or even Bingo both internet and bingo halls, where it is possible to spend hundreds if not thousands every day.
Seems like point scoring to me.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 17:57   #8

My ex husband was a compulsive gambler, he wasted thousands of pounds of money whilst we were together on bandits - in fact I was once told by someone who worked in an arcade that he had put upwards of a thousand pounds in a machine one afternoon. When his mother died several years ago after we were separated he managed to get through over £12,000 of his inheritance in less than a fortnight. So I suppose understandably gambling frightens me, although I fully understand that it's an enjoyable pastime for lots of people and completely harmless for them.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 18:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Graham Jones is committed to Graham Jones BG
Ain't he just.... Remember how he and his ilk were so vocal in opposition but went very quiet once in power...this is his reason

It seems that local newspapers now...: 17 Sep 2012: House of Commons debates - TheyWorkForYou

He thinks reasoned argument and questions about his deceit on the referendum debate are trolls and abuse..

and to think...someone once questioned why I think he's a meglomaniac
Old 20-09-2012, 18:30   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Ain't he just.... Remember how he and his ilk were so vocal in opposition but went very quiet once in power...this is his reason

It seems that local newspapers now...: 17 Sep 2012: House of Commons debates - TheyWorkForYou

He thinks reasoned argument and questions about his deceit on the referendum debate are trolls and abuse..

and to think...someone once questioned why I think he's a meglomaniac
Ya sounds like Jonesie that Guinness, I actually think you were kind calling him a megalomaniac
Old 20-09-2012, 18:32   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Very true Jay,
Also I have just realised, if Mr Jones is so committed to stemming Gambleing in the Uk, why does he not question the rise of Internet gaming, or even Bingo both internet and bingo halls, where it is possible to spend hundreds if not thousands every day.
Seems like point scoring to me.
Ya there's certainly more problems with internet gambling, you don't even have to move out you pit to gamble
Old 20-09-2012, 18:38   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
My ex husband was a compulsive gambler, he wasted thousands of pounds of money whilst we were together on bandits - in fact I was once told by someone who worked in an arcade that he had put upwards of a thousand pounds in a machine one afternoon. When his mother died several years ago after we were separated he managed to get through over £12,000 of his inheritance in less than a fortnight. So I suppose understandably gambling frightens me, although I fully understand that it's an enjoyable pastime for lots of people and completely harmless for them.
I know a couple of people that have gambling problems. One is an pakistani lad that will buy 30-50 scratch cards a night and spend up to £1000 on the 'roulette' at bookies. Must have been a lot for you to deal with
Old 20-09-2012, 18:42   #13

You can gamble 24/7 using the red button on your sky remote....

Blaming gambling addiction on bookies shops is like blaming addiction to painkillers on boots
Old 20-09-2012, 18:43   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
You can gamble 24/7 using the red button on your sky remote....

Blaming gambling addiction on bookies shops is like blaming addiction to painkillers on boots
Yeh but it may well be a Vote Winner?
Old 20-09-2012, 18:44   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh but it may well be a Vote Winner?
Would you like to bet on that?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..