Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2012, 16:04   #1
Give, give, give member

Gridlock.

Years ago there was no rush hour around here, and no regular traffic jams, unless there was a specific reason, such as an accident/road works etc.

I realised this is no longer the case last year, when I was a passenger in a car and it took over one hour to travel down King St., at around five p.m., just trying to get from Blackburn Rd., to the roundabout near the viaduct.

Today was even worse, as it was only around two o'clock in the afternoon. Fifty two minutes from Union St, along the short stretch of Blackburn Road, to the other side of the roundabout on Eagle St.

Our driver said this is a regular occurence now , at any hour of the day.

There's absolutely no reason this happens.

Other than whoever is in charge of traffic flow, and town planning in Accrington, is an imbecile.

Blackburn Rd, the town's premier route into town, now has to feed into the traffic from Eagle St, which has greatly increased since the Tesco superstore was built up there. Plus there's still a zebra crossing there, and a few yards away, traffic lights at the otherside of the viaduct.

Today was utter chaos.

Total gridlock.

Traffic was backed we were told, all the way up to Manchester and Whalley Roads, and in the other direction, past the bottom of Willows Lane. The town centre was at a standstill.

Forget fast track bus lanes, and seventy million quid wasted on daft red routes, this junction needs sorting...and fast.

All it needs is someone blessed with common sense to spend half an hour there, and they'll be able to work out what needs doing. Either lights, or a change of priority, even another bloomin' mini-roundabout. Anything would be an improvement on the dog's dinner of a mess that's there now.

If I was a visitor to the town it would certainly put me off ever wanting to come back here.

It urgently needs addressing.

Accrington already has a myriad of other problems, this is one that it could do with out.

One which could be solved relatively easily.

As long as the same numpty who did it the last time, isn't given the job again.

Last edited by garinda; 28-08-2012 at 16:06.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-08-2012, 17:41   #2
God Member

Re: Gridlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Years ago there was no rush hour around here, and no regular traffic jams, unless there was a specific reason, such as an accident/road works etc.
Well, years ago the Gas Board - as then was - did not have to undertake the replacement of the main pipe along Blackburn Rd. Nor was the town an experimental centre for the detonation of IED's in takeaways. However, the main difference between then and now is that then people either walked or used public transport to get from A to Ossy; now it's either Mac's cabs or sit in the back of your own car, multitasking while grumbling and getting fat.

Anyway, what about this business with First Group nicking the trains off the scoundrel Branson? How many of you here know that this outfit started off back in the 1980's as Aberdeen Corporation Transport? They got privatised and look where they are now. Just think...if there had been a bit more imagination with Accy Corporation Transport, then maybe it would shortly be ACT running the West Coast Line and American School Buses would no longer be yellow, but dark blue, maroon and some black round the mud guards.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 17:45   #3
Resting in Peace

The district nurse came to see me today she was an hour behind her schedule because of road works
Old 28-08-2012, 17:49   #4

i agree,they never considered the extra traffic from tesco,which all local people did
pallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 17:55   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Well, years ago the Gas Board - as then was - did not have to undertake the replacement of the main pipe along Blackburn Rd. Nor was the town an experimental centre for the detonation of IED's in takeaways. However, the main difference between then and now is that then people either walked or used public transport to get from A to Ossy; now it's either Mac's cabs or sit in the back of your own car, multitasking while grumbling and getting fat.
I forget where it was I last saw you, Teabag old fruit.

Oh yes, that's it!

I was trying not to shake my bucket for charity....and you were in a queue for taxis...inside Tesco's.

You lard arse multinational happy shopper.

On yer bike.

Old 28-08-2012, 17:59   #6
God Member

Quote:
I forget where it was I last saw you, Teabag old fruit.

Oh yes, that's it!

I was trying not to shake my bucket for charity....and you were in a queue for taxis...inside Tesco's.

You lard arse multinational happy shopper.

On yer bike.

6 bags, with an OAP in tow.

Otherwise, I'd have jogged it home.

That's the last time I put a washer in your collection tin.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 18:01   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The district nurse came to see me today she was an hour behind her schedule because of road works
Does she always come out with that old excuse, on days when she's due to rub you down with a wet flannel?

I've told you before, she'll probably start being on time, if you haven't already thrown your jim-jams off, and aren't wearing that worrying grin when she next arrives.

Old 28-08-2012, 18:07   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
6 bags, with an OAP in tow.

Otherwise, I'd have jogged it home.

That's the last time I put a washer in your collection tin.
Clink, clink, you sure did have a lot of bags with bottles in.

The washer came in very useful, and was gratefully received.

We weighed it in at Graham Jones's Yard of Scrap, and got back more than your cab fare cost.

Thank you.

Old 28-08-2012, 18:11   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...the main difference between then and now is that then people either walked or used public transport to get from A to Ossy; now it's either Mac's cabs or sit in the back of your own car, multitasking while grumbling and getting fat.

Oh, and by the way, there were numerous buses stood stationary in this gridlock, caused by the poor planning on this part of Blackburn Road.

Old 29-08-2012, 08:46   #10
God Member

Just as well the taxis have fixed fares - for the passenger at least.

Must be damaging to their business all the time they're wasting stuck in queues...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 09:29   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Just as well the taxis have fixed fares - for the passenger at least.

Must be damaging to their business all the time they're wasting stuck in queues...
All the more excuse to speed and ignore road traffic laws as they usually do.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:16   #12
God Member

I always use the back roads to get anywhere in accy. the main roads especially around Blackburn road with the road works for the Hot takeaway make for bedlam.

so much for the plan to make Hyndburn road the main thoroughfare in town.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 15:28   #13

Blackburn Road just isn't a coherent highway at the moment. Three sets of temporary traffic lights. The road should be closed except for access and all traffic diverted along Hyndburn Road until the problems are sorted.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 15:35   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
Blackburn Road just isn't a coherent highway at the moment. Three sets of temporary traffic lights. The road should be closed except for access and all traffic diverted along Hyndburn Road until the problems are sorted.
Its a joke n i agree it should be closed,but wouldn't think so if i had a business on yon.
Old 29-08-2012, 17:35   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Does she always come out with that old excuse, on days when she's due to rub you down with a wet flannel?

I've told you before, she'll probably start being on time, if you haven't already thrown your jim-jams off, and aren't wearing that worrying grin when she next arrives.

I wish think its her who would have a grin on her face if I did that these days Rindi

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..