Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2005, 11:30   #1
God Member

Proud of my Town

It was reported in this week's Observer that our beloved borough has managed, just, to claw its way out of the list of the fifty most deprived boroughs in the country. In spite of the bout of self-congratulation that broke out at Scaitcliffe House, I cannot help but think that this is more by luck than good judgement or sound management.

That depressingly cheerful critic of Accyweb's moaning old washer women and renowned expert on all things local, the oh so PC "Kipper" would, no doubt, disagree with my assesment. Such is his perogative and the nature of democracy.

However, I am a little concerned that in these virtual pages we might be giving the impression, however well intentioned, that Hyndburn in general and Accrington in particular is in some way not perhaps the best place in the world to live and bring up a family.

Of course we have our problems. Show me anywhere in the world that does not. We also seem to have more than our fair share of incompetents and sociopaths. That most of these appear to find gainful employment within the local authority occaisionally gives rise to understandable concern, which in turn finds a voice on this forum.

But I don't think that any of us actually hate our borough to the extent that we would actually wish to discourage people from coming here either to enjoy our diverse and inclusive leisure opportunities or our culturally enriching shopping experiences.

It ocurred to me then that some of us might wish to demonstrate our love for our home town(s) by taking a leaf from New Labour's book and indulging in a little spin and Google Page Ranking exercise.

To this end I have devised a little Logo for the campaign, which you may see below.

It would be nice if someone were to adapt it so that members could attch it to their avatars or signatures. it would be even nicer if someone were to adapt it into a range of lapel badges or bumper stickers etc. Maybe neighbourhoods could adopt it to signal to the disaffected and dysfunctional that, contrary to popular belief, they actually do care about what happens in their locality.

The logo is entirely free of copyright and may be used by anyone, in any circumstances and for any purpose, with the exception of Hyndburn Borough Council, its officers or employees who may not use it for any reason whatsoever - This is about people power, not municipal nest feathering!

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 14-08-2005 at 12:19.
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2005, 11:35   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Proud of my Town

I can't see the logo.

Old 14-08-2005, 11:38   #3
Give, give, give member

I'm sure that everyone in the country moans about their locality, it's what we do when we've discussed the weather, it's called being British.

We in this area are just better at doing it.

There are lots of great things about our area, I for one am glad to live back here after spending half my life living away.

Old 14-08-2005, 11:45   #4
God Member

Why are you making a personal attack on me? AGAIN!

Last edited by KIPAX; 14-08-2005 at 14:28. Reason: In anticipation of A-B being a man and retracting his lies about me.
Old 14-08-2005, 11:55   #5
God Member

Funnily enough I can't see the attachment either, I can see the thumbnail but not the larger image. I wonder why? My system reports that it is under 100K in size and there were no warning messages when I uploaded it. Most puzzling.

Kipper: Personal attack? No not really, just good natured joshing. I don't know about anyone else but, I have always found a sense of humour to be an invaluable asset.
Old 14-08-2005, 12:02   #6
Give, give, give member

I don't know why you singled out Kippax either?

His atavar of 'bouncing bonny Bertha' is certainly not pc.

Pick on me. I take great offence at not being singled out as the most pc wooly liberal on here.

My atavar is a non generic devil by the way.

Old 14-08-2005, 12:07   #7
God Member

Garinda... its ok .. he has used the age old ''I was only joking".card... seems you can attack and post lies about people and get away with it if you say you where joking...

Theres great scope for an avatar for you on my site garinda.... you with fist raised at the game yesterday hehehe
Old 14-08-2005, 12:11   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Garinda... its ok .. he has used the age old ''I was only joking".card... seems you can attack and post lies about people and get away with it if you say you where joking...

Theres great scope for an avatar for you on my site garinda.... you with fist raised at the game yesterday hehehe
LOL

I was the first person to see the pics in the wee small hours of the morning as soon as you put them on.

Power to the people, and up the REDS!!!

Old 14-08-2005, 12:13   #9
Give, give, give member

Last Sunday Acidic-babs was so chilled out he even came into the chatroom, perhaps the gin hasn't kicked in yet?

Old 14-08-2005, 12:15   #10
God Member

You was up at that time? do you never sleep? I got home from the game.. had my tea and fell asleep until 11.30 ish .. so was wide awake through the night (whens 24 hr pubs start?) and did the pics then... prob suffer today though.... ZZzzzz.......
Old 14-08-2005, 13:04   #11
Member.

I waited up for the pics, but give up in the early hours. I had a good look earlier this afternoon and I have to say I feel that they, as always capture the event well.

It would be nice if personal attacks could be set aside and people target more the content rather the individual. Yes I moan I see what other outsiders see when I come home, and I then come on here and express my concerns in the hope that those that can influence events will make the point that things could be better and kick the odd backside. More often than not it only results in inertia or condemnation. But hey, in my mind at least I am doing something…..I am proud of my town and I love coming back something I do at least once a week. At the end of the day we all have a duty to each other and to promoting Hyndburn and Stanley. They go hand in hand and should be held up as something to be proud of. But it will mean people taking the fingers out of there backsides and working together.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 14-08-2005, 14:01   #12
Resting in Peace

Smile Re: Proud of my Town

:engsmil: Am born and bred in Accy and proud of my Home Town and the fact is that when I worked on the buses they stood out from any others and called Hyndburn Brough Transport (HBT) [prior to the farse of "privatatision"] was the only bus company to use the Blue and Red colours in the way that they did.

Many a time when driving around on Private Hires, Day Trips etc I would spot bus-spotters taking pictures and noting the fleet number and reg of the vehicles.

If only we had something like that again for the town/brough to be proud of maybe that would help to instill a feeling of town pride.

I to hope that ASFC do well this season as it may help to get people proud of their own town (and I incl ex-pats) and feel better within themselves.

That may well lead to some more people doing things to help show the town off or even help in some small way in cleaning, reporting or helping some of the local VAS (Voulantry Aid Societies) that need new and willing members and I don't just mean St John Ambulance but what about "The Lions, Rotact etc" :engsmil:
Old 14-08-2005, 14:08   #13
God Member

Well said Doug and Ber999t,

I have managed to reduce the logo to fit alongside my signature, if anyone else wants to use it please feel free to do so, you will find it here...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery....php?file=1478
Old 14-08-2005, 14:16   #14
God Member

Maybe a reduction of the personal attack and lies about me wouldnt go amiss?
Old 14-08-2005, 14:38   #15
God Member

Lies, Kipper? What lies would those be?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 14-08-2005 at 14:47.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..