Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2010, 04:29   #1
God Member

Pub landlord jailed for allowing smoking.

Seems to me it's a 'strange' legal system that puts a pub landlord from Bolton in jail for six months for allowing the use of a legal tobacco product by consenting adults in his pub
Pub landlord Nick Hogan given first smoking ban jail sentence | Mail Online

yet at the same time the law only gives 4 months to an illegal immigrant with previous convictions only 4 months for the death of a 12 year old , and no deportation.
Darwen dad's anger as death driver freed (From Lancashire Telegraph)

anyone care to comment/explain ....
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2010, 06:54   #2

Re: Pub landlord jailed for allowing smoking.

it's wrong landlord should be able to give at least one room to smokers..
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 08:01   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to mind the explantion is what the "LAW" views more serious. its another of the many examples why people like me, refuse to vote. we have gone to hell on n handcart, n not one of these spineless parties has the will to correct things.
Old 27-02-2010, 08:55   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
to mind the explantion is what the "LAW" views more serious. its another of the many examples why people like me, refuse to vote. we have gone to hell on n handcart, n not one of these spineless parties has the will to correct things.
Have to agree with that, I don't smoke but used to quite a few years back, Germany have been fighting amongst themselves (Politicians) to score points with the voting Public. There are some concessions so smoking can take place in certain establishments, & in some States a referendum was taken & the ban has been deemed illegal.

That being said, although there is as much mistrust in Germany of the Politicians & their agendas as there is in UK they aren't ramming the EU Brussels dictates as far down the Publics throats as the UK Government, here at the moment the Germans are on the edge of gagging while you in the UK are being made physically sick, by the states absolute & literal appliance of EU dictates & this goes far beyond just the smoking ban.

Until the UK gets a ruling party immaterial of name with a spine, to tell these people(in Brussels) to go away & we'll decide what's right for the British people, guided by & with their consent the Country & it's once Proud people, will continue to get shafted, by the governing elitist whipping Boys & Girls you have to call a Government.

Smoking police ashtray ban trials - EU attacks smokers with new recommendations - News - Bild.de

Last edited by Neil; 27-02-2010 at 09:51. Reason: language
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:11   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Seems to me it's a 'strange' legal system that puts a pub landlord from Bolton in jail for six months for allowing the use of a legal tobacco product by consenting adults in his pub

yet at the same time the law only gives 4 months to an illegal immigrant with previous convictions only 4 months for the death of a 12 year old , and no deportation.

Our failing democracy has reached a stage where money is scarce and human lives are plentiful.
Result - non payment of a fine (for permitting smoking) is regarded as a greater threat to the state than the loss of life of one 'useless eater' (their term, not mine)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:11   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post

Don't this just spell out how our Justis System is screwed up SJ six months for allowing smoking in his pub and four months for killing a child
Old 27-02-2010, 09:14   #7
Common Sense Member

I've been running pub quizzes for 12 years and two of the less successful pubs have shut down altogether, with the smoking ban playing a heavy role. The obsessive government tactics to make us think that we're awash with drunkards hasn't helped either and it would have been better to demand segregated smoking rooms with decent ventilation.

Alcohol taxation and the greed of the breweries will ultimately kill off what remains of the pub industry until all we have left are wine bars and gastropubs. I don't smoke and it is quite nice not to stink of fags when I come home from a night out but I do miss the atmosphere of pubs packed to capacity.

A prison sentence for trying to please the customers is outright unfair but indicative of the country's policy of punishing the natives and allowing immigrants free rein.

Cashy, I understand your sentiments but even if you don't vote for one of the main parties then at least register a protest vote. It's the only voice we have left to tell the government whether they are doing a good job or not. If that's how you feel then don't waste your opportunity.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:27   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Until the UK gets a ruling party immaterial of name with a spine, to tell these people(in Brussels) to go away & we'll decide what's right for the British people, guided by & with their consent the Country & it's once Proud people, will continue to get shafted, by the governing elitist whipping Boys & Girls you have to call a Government.
The creeping power of the EU and successive British governments' supine attitude towards it is the elephant in the room. It won't go away and, in fact, the situation will get worse and worse, as the whole raison d'etre of the EU is greater and greater centralisation and control. Politicians try to brush it under the carpet as much as possible, rather than answer awkward questions about it, because they would prefer people not to know the truth.

Last edited by Neil; 27-02-2010 at 09:53. Reason: language in quote
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:32   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Cashy, I understand your sentiments but even if you don't vote for one of the main parties then at least register a protest vote. It's the only voice we have left to tell the government whether they are doing a good job or not. If that's how you feel then don't waste your opportunity.
Ken I believe people have been doing just that over the last X years, how else do you explain the rise of fringe parties such as UKIP, Green, BNP etc. And how has the Government responded ? as it always does, it takes not a blind bit of notice as to what the people request or require.

They maunder along so wrapped in their own self importance, they can't see the woods for the trees. so what if the numbers are down to only 50% of those eligible to vote & decide the fate of the Country, we've the majority so we'll just do as we Damn well please & if the peasantry don't like it ! Well screw 'em We're just fine Jack !!!!

Please tell me I'm wrong in this view, but if you're honest that'll be pretty hard to do won't it.

Last edited by Neil; 27-02-2010 at 09:54. Reason: fixed quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:33   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
The creeping power of the EU and successive British governments' supine attitude towards it is the elephant in the room. It won't go away and, in fact, the situation will get worse and worse, as the whole raison d'etre of the EU is greater and greater centralisation and control. Politicians try to brush it under the carpet as much as possible, rather than answer awkward questions about it, because they would prefer people not to know the truth.
The truth, when you find it, is unbelievably unpleasant, and most people prefer to ignore it, hoping it will 'go away'.

By saying 'what are they going to do about it?' is just passing the buck.
What are you going to do about it?

Last edited by MargaretR; 27-02-2010 at 09:36.
Old 27-02-2010, 09:42   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The truth, when you find it, is unbelievably unpleasant, and most people prefer to ignore it, hoping it will 'go away'.

By saying 'what are they going to do about it?' is just passing the buck.
What are you going to do about it?
Marg, the rot is to deep, there isn't a lot you can do about it if the people you put in a position to stand up for & speak for your rights won't ! So long as they doff their caps & meekly submit to outside "Unelected" Authoritarianism. The Great British Lion is a meek & miserable Cur whining in the corner waiting for the next round of beatings!!
Old 27-02-2010, 09:45   #12

Funny thing is if we all give up driving cars, smoking, drinking and gambling the country would go broke in a few days
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 09:49   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Funny thing is if we all give up driving cars, smoking, drinking and gambling the country would go broke in a few days
Its not far off now
Old 27-02-2010, 09:53   #14
God Member

Quote:
All countries already are 'broke'. That is why not paying a fine was more of a threat to the state than taking a life.
The false monetary system is breaking down.
If you have owt stashed, spend it now before it is worth nowt.
I suggest stocking food and clearing mortgages.

'people who have nothing left to lose, lose it' - Gerald Cilente

Old 27-02-2010, 09:55   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
A truer word ..... I seem to recall, many years ago when I was in UK they put the price of ciggies up "to cover the cost of smokers to the NHS" which incidentally didn't get said revenue & as a result there was a marked decrease in income from Tobacco tax. As people were buying abroad so the money the Government could've had, had they not been so greedy was then filling the coffers of Countries like France & Spain, once again reaffirming the conceit & at the same time stupidity of Politicians.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..