Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What would you do if you got too many of somethng by post?
return the surplus ASAP 3 8.11%
ring up and ask for money to cover postage cost of returning the surplus 16 43.24%
ring up and negotiate how many freebies they'll let you keep 3 8.11%
ring up and offer to pay for the extra if 5 or less 0 0%
ring up and offer to pay for the extra if 10 or less 0 0%
keep them all if less than 5 extra 0 0%
keep them all if less than 10 extra 0 0%
keep them all and hope nobody notices 10 27.03%
some other alternative I haven't managed to think of 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2005, 20:31   #16
God Member

Re: Question about honesty

I would keep the excess or send back and ask for refund! This happened to me once were I was sent 2 pairs of trousers, so I kept 1 pair and then phoned the company and got a refund on the other pair, I know this is dishonest but I thought its their mistake.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2005, 22:01   #17
white rabbits

it would depend,,,,if they were garden gnomes and my name was meldrew,????????????????
i think one was planted in the loo
Old 22-09-2005, 05:42   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have emailed a someone on ebay in the US when they sent my item and another. They said it was not worth returning it. But when being a naughty boy I totally forget for 3 months to sent some satellite TV equipment back that was not even supposed to have been sent to me. They even sent me a paid envelope to send it back. The interesting thing was, in with the package was a receipt showing that I had payed by paypal. I checked and I had not paid. I had used the firm before so they must have stuffed up somewhere. When I came accross the package again I ended up using it, once I found out what it was for

So that must make me honest sometimes. Then again I had a receipt proving I had paid for the other items.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 07:19   #19
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have been on the receiving end of a couple of extra CD's which I didn't order. I rang the company and offered to send them back if they paid for it. They did pay for the returns, I wouldn't have kept the CD's as they weren't to my musical taste. I suppose I am honest but not mug enough to pay for someone else's mistake..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 12:24   #20
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Question about honesty

If anything arrives through your letterbox or at your door that you haven’t ordered it is best to accept the delivery and then inform the sender. If you refuse to accept delivery you will still get an invoice and demands for payment even if the goods have got back to where they came from. Most likely the goods will not get back to the sender. Couriers and postmen/women are not as honest as they used to be and items not accepted by the recipient have been known to get ‘lost’ on their way back.

You treat the surplus as unsolicited goods and as such you are allowed to keep them – IF – you notify the sender that the received goods were not ordered by you. If they are not removed from your premises within 3 months you can consider them as a gift and you will be quite entitled to keep them. You are under no obligation to send them back at your own expense. Your obligation stops at notifying the sender.

On three occasions this year I have received an overpayment into my E-Gold account. I emailed the sender (an HYIP) offering to return the surplus less E-Gold charges and on each occasion they emailed me back to say thanks for notifying them of the overpayment and I could keep it for my honesty. One overpayment was for $25, one for $5 something and one for $11 something but this one deducted the $11 something from my account to balance the books as it were. Cheapskates!!!
Old 24-09-2005, 16:05   #21
Resting in peace

I am appallingly honest. If I found someone had sent me something I had not ordered/agreed to pay for. then I would e mail them straightaway saying that this was not something ......

Equally I would expect them to not pay for something which they THOUGHT I had ordered but had not ...... something which has happened to some of my colleagues who have e-bay accounts ......

I just think we should be very careful about anything ordered over the Internet, and check every transaction VERY carefully.

XXX
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 16:11   #22
God Member

Good for you pendy. Honesty and a keen eye on wats happening is always best. You get what you ordered no more no less and if they make the error then they pay. Me I would panic and send it back asap.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 02:17   #23
land of hope and glory

if someone sends more than your requirements you are not going to chase the van down the street!excuse me sir but i did not order all these? you will put them on a shelf and wait for the response of the sender! No reply !!!!!!!!!!! thank you ! a few quid to be made here! simple.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 09:04   #24

I must admit I would be tempted to keep goods and say nothing. But then I would have sleepless nights worrying about the consequences of doing so.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2005, 10:47   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie J
I must admit I would be tempted to keep goods and say nothing. But then I would have sleepless nights worrying about the consequences of doing so.
as i have sleepless nights anyway it don't matter to me,totally agree with staggers on this one.
Old 25-09-2005, 17:24   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
as i have sleepless nights anyway it don't matter to me,totally agree with staggers on this one.
Between you EBay could be very busy. Staggers gets the unwanted extras to you and then you flog em on Ebay during the long nights of winter

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-09-2005, 19:56   #27
God Member

speaking of which I have a candy fridge freezer brand new for sale. should cost £329, their mistake.

£150 please
Old 25-09-2005, 20:47   #28
Senior Member+

I know someone a few doors up from me who is deliberately ordering things in different names and having them sent to his address !
Oh and if the postie ever needed proof that they was for him and not a postal mistake he gets out one of his many name-change deed polls !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 20:37   #29
God Member

Well if the address is wrong then who would be any the wiser ie sent to 10 blogs street instead of 11.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 27-10-2005, 11:12   #30

OK so, talking about honesty:

A guy is interviewing three young women for a job serving in his bar. He asks them all the same question which is: "If you were to find a five pound note in the bar, what would you do with it?"

Lady #1 answers: "Finders, keepers, it would go straight in the tips jar"
Lady #2 answers: "I would give it to the manager. If the till was short by that amount at the end of the night it would be included with the nights takings. If the till was correct however, I would expect it to be put in the tips jar.
Lady #3 answers: I would ask the customers to check their money and see if anyone had lost it. If they could come up with the correct denomination I would give it to them. Otherwise, I would put it in the tips jar.

Who got the job?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..