Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2008, 07:53   #16
God Member

Re: Real Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I;m always trying out the "real ale" they have bottled at the supermarkets.. but what is "real ale" ?.. is Kronnenburg or stella not real?.. gets me ****ed all the same!
Real ale is cask ale, it's unfiltered and conditioned. I like the lambic ales because they're allowed to ferment more naturally and from more natural ingredients, so they have a different taste. Timmersons do a nice raspberry one which I love!

I got very drunk last night because we went around the college bars, and some had real ales some didnt, so I had to mix my drinks. I got all the keyrings though!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2008, 09:23   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I;m always trying out the "real ale" they have bottled at the supermarkets.. but what is "real ale" ?.. is Kronnenburg or stella not real?.. gets me ****ed all the same!
Kronnenburg and Stella are not ale for a start Mancie, Real ale is brewed in traditional British ways and is served by hand pumps not gas driven
Old 21-06-2008, 13:41   #18
Resting in Peace

Real Ale (cask conditioned) is conditioned on site,usually in a cellar.This is done by the correct use of Hard and Soft pegs and can take up to 4days.Soft pegs allow the beer to settle and breath and hard pegs allow the beer to produce natural Co2.Get it wrong and you are stuffed.Therefore it needs constant attention by the Landlord/cellar man.Hand pumps are not needed as this can be done by electric pumps.Cleanliness is of the utmost importance which is were some people fall flat on their faces.

Keg beer is conditioned in the brewery i think it is Pasteurized and all the yeast killed off.
However it is ready for use right away and you can train monkeys to keep it.The gas is a mixture of Nitrogen and C02.This gives it it's Smooth appearance.
That is the theory but I fear H&S have put their oar in and now a lot of real ales are being dispensed out of kegs.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 17:07   #19
God Member

I love most real ales, old peculier is one of my faves.

The 'nicest' one I ever drank was Mitchels dark mild it was just like drinking chocolate. I went on a brewery visit ~15 years ago and afterwards we had a free bar in the club. I thought I'd start on teh mild and work up teh alchohol content as teh night went on. I liked teh mild that much I stayed on it all night.

I also used to like Thwaites Big Ben bottled ale, get half a mild and keep topping it up with teh Ben, a nice dark rum over ice on teh side compliments it perfectly.

I always enjoyed looking after teh ales when I worked teh pub game, I was always proud that my ale was always in top notch condition.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 17:09   #20
Senior Member+

I quite like Marstons pedigree and Old Peculiar

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 17:13   #21
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I think ill stick to me bud........
Old 21-06-2008, 17:14   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I love most real ales, old peculier is one of my faves.

The 'nicest' one I ever drank was Mitchels dark mild it was just like drinking chocolate. I went on a brewery visit ~15 years ago and afterwards we had a free bar in the club. I thought I'd start on teh mild and work up teh alchohol content as teh night went on. I liked teh mild that much I stayed on it all night.

I also used to like Thwaites Big Ben bottled ale, get half a mild and keep topping it up with teh Ben, a nice dark rum over ice on teh side compliments it perfectly.

I always enjoyed looking after teh ales when I worked teh pub game, I was always proud that my ale was always in top notch condition.
Ok, you seem to be the resident expert; so, I have a question. Is it true that the ales in casks could be affected by the weather, particularly thunder storms? My grandad swore he could tell when thunder was coming by how the beer tasted in the old Village Blacksmith on Bayley St. in Clayton. Do real ales have this sensitivity, or was my grandad BSing me?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 17:26   #23
Senior Member+

I think he was having you on.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 17:33   #24
God Member

No, it's true. Real Ale reacts to extreme atmospheric conditions, although these days with better cellar control (and less ale drunk) the effect is less likely to be seen. A pint poured immeadiatly prior to a thunderstorm could often appear cloudy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 12:30   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok, you seem to be the resident expert; so, I have a question. Is it true that the ales in casks could be affected by the weather, particularly thunder storms? My grandad swore he could tell when thunder was coming by how the beer tasted in the old Village Blacksmith on Bayley St. in Clayton. Do real ales have this sensitivity, or was my grandad BSing me?
I can confirm that cask (real ale) can be affected by the weatheralthough the weather can also be used as an excuse for a dodgy landlord
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 14:20   #26
Resting In Peace

the abbey in accrington allways has real ale.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 17:11   #27
God Member

The Calder had a real ale festival not so long ago didn't it? And Postal Order definitely did because I went in

When I am back in accy i'm going to go hunting
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 09:14   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
The Calder had a real ale festival not so long ago didn't it? And Postal Order definitely did because I went in

When I am back in accy i'm going to go hunting
Let us know when that is blazey, then we can keep out of your way
Old 01-08-2008, 23:07   #29

I was at postal last saturday - 5 real ale's on tap - one called blue jay absolutely gorgeous.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50   #30
Loz

Really like Black Sheep and Old speckled hen that we get from the supermarket but i think my favourite was one i had in cumbria and for the life of me i can't remember what it was called!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..