Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2009, 08:03   #1

Recycling changes!!

Isn't it great when you know that your collection is at the same time week in, week out? Ours is about 11am to 11.30 with the cardboard van coming about half an hour after. Obviously knowing this you get into a routine. Ours was to get one of the lads to do it just as they left for school!

Imagine my thoughts when just before eight this morning the cardboard van was coming down the street!! Managed to collar the chap who was on foot to say 'won't be minute' and gave him our load. Having a chat to say 'You're early' he went on to explain that they were trying some new routes. 'The stuff is supposed to be out at 7.30 anyway' he said. I replied that I knew this but people are now in a routine (like us) and he said that was probably why there wasn't much about!!

Why couldn't they have put something in the press or posted a flyer through last time to warn people??

Anyway folks - for the next two weeks get your stuff out at 7.30 'cos you may be missed!!

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2009, 08:06   #2

Re: Recycling changes!!

Always put bins out before I walk the dog coz never know when they gonna pick up.............and if I don't do it then I forget
Old 27-03-2009, 08:08   #3
God Member

here in Blackburn our recycling comes once a fortnight, we have a big black wheelie bin for everything, cardboard, paper, cans, tins, cartons, yoghurt pots etc...its a lot easier than having to put out seperate things and then they get blown away and make the streets look a mess, maybe HBC should do the same
Old 27-03-2009, 08:10   #4
Resting in Peace

They normally get round here at 8-20 its now 9-10 and no sign of them and with this wind the street looks like a rubbish tip with bottles and tins and blue bags all over the place
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 08:10   #5

Some people just don't think about the wind factor when putting their bags out - there's stuff everywhere today!

Old 27-03-2009, 08:18   #6

Who needs the wind?. Round here the yobs distribute the rubbish without any help.
Old 27-03-2009, 08:33   #7
God Member

I put mine out before the school trek on Wednesday... came back home at around 10am and it was all over the street!
Of course I had to go round picking it all up and putting it back in the bags
Old 27-03-2009, 08:43   #8
Senior Member+

Mines always out for 7.30, thats normally when they collect anyway (am not far from the depot) but the normal bins its normally around lunch time but were early this week, bins had been emptied by 10am - luckily i always put mine out around 7.30 anyway, last thing id need is to miss the collection

I've had the same problem with my recycling though as they were later this week, had to pick it up off the street before i went out, not too happy, had to chase my blue bag aswell
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 09:10   #9

Absolutely havent a clue what time they come as Im gone for work so I gather and bag up securely the night before
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 10:59   #10
God Member

If you lot think the rubbish now blowing around is bad, wait until food recycling starts...half-eaten butties, pizza crusts, teabags, bits of curry...all over the street.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 11:11   #11

FOOD RECYCLING????????

U havin' a larf???? The Council will have to come up with a decent receptacle to contain food waste. It would have to prevent smells and be easy to clean, with a decent fitting lid that animals can't dislodge.

Old 27-03-2009, 11:28   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
FOOD RECYCLING????????

U havin' a larf???? The Council will have to come up with a decent receptacle to contain food waste. It would have to prevent smells and be easy to clean, with a decent fitting lid that animals can't dislodge.
I'm deadly serious, as always.

A number of councils now recycles anything biodegradable (mainly food) for compost. I think Preston now has recycling; I know here in Tower Hamlets we've had it for a year or so. Each residence gets a little container (like an ice box) which you line with a biodegrad. bag; you stick your food waste in this and when full, take it outside and empty it in one of the food wheelie bins. These are emptied once a week, but not before the local yobs have knocked 'em over.

The funny thing is, all the other recyclable stuff - cardboard, metal, glass, paper, plastic - all goes togeather into one other bin.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 27-03-2009 at 11:31.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 11:28   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass28 View Post
I put mine out before the school trek on Wednesday... came back home at around 10am and it was all over the street!
Of course I had to go round picking it all up and putting it back in the bags

Once you put it out on the street after following their rules it becomes their rubbish and their responsibility.

How can it be your fault it blew all over the road because someone at HBC had a stupid idea of using light weight bags on windy days?
Old 27-03-2009, 11:38   #14

Mine don't blow all over Neil!! If you ensure they are stood up right and you put your paper recycling bag on top it all stays as is.
Problem is people don't think when they put them out.

EDIT: Some thieving git has just nicked my box and bags!!!!!!! Theirs probably got blown away, just went out to get mine and there they are disappearing down the street!!! ME NOT HAPPY!!!!

Last edited by churchman phil; 27-03-2009 at 11:45.
Old 30-03-2009, 13:55   #15
God Member

Our cardboard collection is on a thursday with everything else but its turned up today.....5 days later, no wonder the binmen were stood around looking gormless and scratching their heads, no doubt wondering where all the cardboard was..........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..