Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2019, 14:11   #2581
God Member

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

This is a link to an interesting article about the difference between Leavers and Remoaners and, in the James Delingpole web cast, the rally last Friday.
Anecdotally, I can confirm the conclusions.
I was carrying a banner which read “Leave and rejoin the free world”. Only two passers-by made any comments. Both were very smartly dressed, middle-aged men (we were in Chelsea and Westminster, after all!). The first told me I was a racist. The second shouted “islamaphobe”.
Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/201...s-say-experts/
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2019, 14:31   #2582
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
This is a link to an interesting article about the difference between Leavers and Remoaners and, in the James Delingpole web cast, the rally last Friday.
I was carrying a banner which read “Leave and rejoin the free world”. Only two passers-by made any comments. Both were very smartly dressed, middle-aged men (we were in Chelsea and Westminster, after all!). The first told me I was a racist. The second shouted “islamaphobe”.

Hope yeh told em to F. off mate.
Old 01-04-2019, 14:58   #2583
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post

It just shows that these two members of society were intellectually challenged.....and had an extremely narrow view of the world.....though those attributes are what they level as insults against those who voted to leave.
Both of those comments are calculated to close down any discussion.
I found the article that you gave the link for, very interesting.
Thank you.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:20   #2584
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Very interesting link Exile Cheers mate,
Old 01-04-2019, 15:38   #2585
Beacon of light

I seriously hope that the MP's do not tie us into a customs union....that would be against what was promised and it would not be leaving.
For goodness sake just let us leave 12th April under wto.
cashman likes this.
Old 01-04-2019, 16:00   #2586
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I seriously hope that the MP's do not tie us into a customs union....that would be against what was promised and it would not be leaving.
For goodness sake just let us leave 12th April under wto.
Sadly i am 90% certain those traitors will stuff us Margaret. our own M.P.for one.
Old 01-04-2019, 16:21   #2587
Beacon of light

we have to wait and see Cashy...but not hopeful
that said the vote is not binding and TM has shied away from Customs union because it DOES NOT DELIVER Brexit...in fact it ties us firmly to the EU.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 01-04-2019 at 16:23.
Old 01-04-2019, 18:12   #2588
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
we have to wait and see Cashy...but not hopeful
that said the vote is not binding and TM has shied away from Customs union because it DOES NOT DELIVER Brexit...in fact it ties us firmly to the EU.
I know Margaret,but i find it very difficult to think owt she says she means.
Old 01-04-2019, 18:14   #2589
Full Member+

Well, MP's will be voting on 4 proposals, so called Indicative Votes. The proposals are:

Motion C: Customs union

Proposer: Ken Clarke, Conservative

This option commits the government to negotiating "a permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union with the EU" as part of any Brexit deal.

This arrangement would give the UK a closer trading relationship with the EU and reduce the need for some (but not all) checks at the Irish border.

But it would prevent the UK striking independent trade deals with other countries, and has previously been ruled out by Mrs May.

A version of this proposal received the most support in the first round, falling just six votes short of a majority.

Motion D: 'Common Market 2.0'

Proposer: Nick Boles, Conservative

This proposal would mean joining the European Free Trade Association and European Economic Area, with countries such as Norway.

It means the UK would remain part of the EU single market and would retain freedom of movement, so British citizens would keep the right to live and work in the EU and vice-versa.

In the last round, 188 MPs voted for this plan and 283 voted against.

Motion E: Confirmatory public vote

Proposers: Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson, Labour

This gives the public a vote to approve any Brexit deal passed by Parliament, before it can be implemented.

Tabled last time by Labour former minister Dame Margaret Beckett, this option won the highest number of votes, with 268 MPs for and 295 against.

Motion G: Parliamentary supremacy

Proposer: Joanna Cherry, Scottish National Party

This option offers a series of steps to prevent the UK leaving the EU without a deal. First, it requires the government to seek an extension if a deal has not been agreed two days before the deadline for leaving.

If the EU does not agree to an extension, on the day before the UK was due to leave, MPs would be asked to choose between a no-deal Brexit or revoking Article 50 to stop Brexit altogether.

In the event of revoking Article 50, an inquiry would be held to find out what type of future relationship with the EU could command majority support in the UK and be acceptable to Brussels.

MPs previously voted against a proposal to cancel Brexit by Joanna Cherry, but have not considered this plan before.
Old 01-04-2019, 18:35   #2590
Beacon of light

All of these options are odious and mean we are still not OUT.
So it is remain, remain, remain, remain.
I predict a riot.
Will there be anyone brave enough door knock for support come the elections....I will be putting a sign in my window...it will say 'knock if you are brave enough'

Maybe the MP's will knock them on the head....or maybe there will be a mass government walk out = General Election...not that I think this is a good idea....but then all the good ideas are gone.
Old 01-04-2019, 18:57   #2591
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

These votes are not binding but aint holding me breath. the piece of crap called Ken Clark would not have dared propose that if Thatcher had still been leader.

Last edited by cashman; 01-04-2019 at 19:00.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 19:03   #2592
Full Member+

Motions C and D definitely keep us tied to the EU, so we're not out.

There's is still only one deal on the table and that's the one that the EU/UK agreed on, the EU has been adamant that there will be no opening of negotiations on the Withdrawal Agreement and it had to be agreed on by parliament by the 29th March in order to get the extension until May. The default is leave with no deal on the 12th April. To get a confirmatory referendum would require a significant delay.

Motion G: I think if MP's voted to revoke Article 50 many people would see it as a betrayal of democracy and would be deeply unpopular.
Old 01-04-2019, 19:05   #2593
Full Member+

Well, they're out to vote, the result should be in by 22:00.
Old 01-04-2019, 19:26   #2594
Beacon of light

I hope they are as divided and indecisive as ever.
Old 01-04-2019, 19:45   #2595
God Member

Quote:
I hope they are as divided and indecisive as ever.
I think that's the most certain thing that will happen tonight - they'll definitely still be dithering
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..