Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2016, 08:17   #646
Senior Member+

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There are certain phrases in the passage which are not particularly English.....they could be American or they could be Australian.....a bit like Barack Obama saying that Britain would 'go to the back of the line' for trade if we left the EU.
We would be much more likely to say back of the queue.
We do not much use the word 'cops'....and to get into Oz you have to have money, a job or a sponsor.

That said, it doesn't matter where it comes from, or whether it was 'borrowed'....It is relevant to the current situation.

Now the latest 'breaking' news is that Goerge Osborne is planning a 'punishment' budget if we vote leave. He reckons that taxes must go up, benefits must come down and spending needs to be cut to fill the black hole that will need filling if we leave the EU.
I have news for him......there will be the vast sums that we no longer commit to the EU coffers......and if there is still a shortfall, then let him cancel the ridiculously expensive HS2 project......and maybe cut the expenses of those in the House of Lords.
Maybe MP's could also take a pay cut too. That way, we really will 'all be in it together'
We should definitely cut Overseas Aid no matter what.
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2016, 10:32   #647
Beacon of light

Yes, Barrie.....that would be another good cost saving exercise.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 10:35   #648
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, Barrie.....that would be another good cost saving exercise.
They cant do that, it wouldn't frighten people.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 15-06-2016, 10:53   #649
Beacon of light

it would also be a cost saving exercise to get rid of the department that doles out this money to countries who either do not need it because they have their own space program(india)...or those with despotic rulers who cream off the money for their own use.

Charity begins at home. Let's look after our own needy and homeless before we start trying to look after the worlds needy and homeless.
Old 15-06-2016, 19:17   #650
God Member

And there is some interest from over here ... there's lots of us looking at Europe these days. The Euros are very popular now that the NHL season is over: Sidney Crosby's Penguins won, by the way. There are large English, Irish, Italian, and Portuguese communities in Kingston. However, before I wander too far ...

Why the spectre of Brexit leaves European Union leaders frozen in fear: Don Murray - World - CBC News
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 19:51   #651
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The final part of that:-

Quote:
And so the continent waits, mute or almost, on the sidelines. But the signs are that the beast of Brussels will react nastily if Brexit carries the day.
Almost the opposite of the kid with the ball, 'it's my ball I'm taking it home'

To 'don't throw my ball back at me, my gangs bigger than your gang we'll get you at playtime'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 20:57   #652
Beacon of light

I liked the comment from a reader. ' The EU must reform or perish'

I think it will perish as it has absolutely no intention of reforming..and that is because it isn't for the people...it is for the ELITE.
That 1% who have the money and influence and think that we should shut up and carry on working, paying our taxes(mustn't ask where they go),not think, not reason...and definitely not question those in power.
We, the present day serfs, should not be allowed to have a say in our destiny...or at least that is the impression I get.

Not nearly good enough is it?

Did you know that MEP's get Ł240 per DAY food and drink allowance?
Some people do not have that per week to live on.......but that is why a lot of politicians want us to be in...they want a chance to jump on this gravy train.
cashman, Eric and DaveinGermany like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-06-2016 at 21:00.
Old 16-06-2016, 05:16   #653
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Bring it on! The eu big boys will threaten & bully, but in the end they'll come tail between their legs looking to trade with US as we thrive outside the constraints of their failing state.

Our tiny little Island has a strong tradition of defending freedom & showing the bully boys their arses! OUT on the 23rd!
hilleluk and China Doll like this.
Old 16-06-2016, 06:23   #654
Beacon of light

I'll drink to that Son....but make it a builders brew.
Old 16-06-2016, 11:13   #655
Beacon of light

Rolls Royce has entered the battle. It is telling its workers that they should vote 'Remain' to protect jobs in this country.
Rolls Royce does 66% of its trade with countries outside Europe...and this is from their own figures.
Michael Howard was on Sky TV this morning saying that the Remain campaign were implying that there were no risks from voting to remain in the EU....yet there are risks.
The budget is still to be determined, the financial position of many of the southern EU countries is dire. Greece is going to need another bail out( the si\e of which is being kept under wraps until after the referendum, as are many other things)........and trade within the EU is shrinking.

We have no control over any of these things...our voice and our opinions are unheard.
There is no democracy, no transparency...it is a dictatorship.
I hope the employees of Rolls Royce do not listen to their CEO. I hope they will see what is in front of them and vote LEAVE
hilleluk likes this.
Old 16-06-2016, 12:18   #656

The TV debate last night was IMO very good and at that point I was all for voting out.
Even though he could not backup what he said with facts on what will happen or not happen.

We shall see what the next debate does to my choice
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 12:24   #657
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
The TV debate last night was IMO very good and at that point I was all for voting out.
Even though he could not backup what he said with facts on what will happen or not happen.

We shall see what the next debate does to my choice
Its simple, neither side can back anything up with facts, even the financial so called experts, its down to plain common sense.
Less and Eric like this.
Old 16-06-2016, 13:07   #658
Beacon of light

The figures that are being used for these 'guesstimates' of the damage are from 2013....and they are ALL using the same statistics.....so obviously they will all be getting their knickers in a twist.
All these 'experts' did not spot the iceberg that was the financial collapse in 2008.
Obviously there has to be a cost, but it is the price that is required to get back a chance for democratic process in this country.

Personally, I do not like the thinly veiled(and completely open threats ) from current members of the EU.....those who are supposed to want us to remain....who are supposed to be our allies(I was going to say friends...but their action refute any notion of friendship).

Any politician, or organisation that is being honest will tell you that no - one knows what will happen if we DO manage to get out of the Black Widows Web of deceit.
hilleluk likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 16-06-2016 at 13:09.
Old 16-06-2016, 14:47   #659
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I don't want to be part of an agreement that causes other nations within the agreement needing to be bailed out, if the EU was working this would never happen, as it is the poorer nations are still getting poorer and we are being taken with them.
They joined hoping for an even playing field, hoping we would raise their hopes expectations and living standards, they didn't join to be punished for being a struggling Country in the first place.
Be honest vote out, it MAY be hard at first whilst we suffer the wrath of the EU, but we are going to do ourselves and others more good in the long run.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 15:10   #660

You should read the 4 hour debate on the petition, never heard such back slapping. it's obvious, petition or not, the attitude to Overseas aid is quite right, everything in the world is wonderful and us M.P. are wonderful and the public know nothing.
SO THERE
hilleluk likes this.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..