Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2008, 13:10   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Regarding Parcels for Serving Soldiers,

just had n e- mail from 10 downing street regarding the petition members signed requesting free/reduced charges fer parcels sent to serving troops in Afghanistan/ Iraq, the government have responded positively and parcels up to 2 KGs weight sent to our troops will now be free, can't find thread it was so have put new one up. Well Done,those who signed, also well done fer once the Government.
Old 19-08-2008, 13:16   #2
God Member

Re: Regarding Parcels for Serving Soldiers,

Good news indeed, at last they got something right
Old 19-08-2008, 13:17   #3
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Regarding Parcels for Serving Soldiers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just had n e- mail from 10 downing street regarding the petition members signed requesting free/reduced charges fer parcels sent to serving troops in Afghanistan/ Iraq, the government have responded positively and parcels up to 2 KGs weight sent to our troops will now be free, can't find thread it was so have put new one up. Well Done,those who signed, also well done fer once the Government.
Quite right too but I can’t help wondering if the petition had been run four years ago the result would have been the same. It wasn’t a potential vote winner then whereas today it could be seen as one by the government.
Old 19-08-2008, 13:20   #4
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it, Mr C. So this petition thing does work occasionally!
Old 19-08-2008, 13:21   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Glad to hear it, Mr C. So this petition thing does work occasionally!
i always say wyn- ya got to be in it to win it.
Old 19-08-2008, 13:25   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Quite right too but I can’t help wondering if the petition had been run four years ago the result would have been the same. It wasn’t a potential vote winner then whereas today it could be seen as one by the government.
but it wasn't was it jambutty? so its hypothetical, i run em down meself,but only when i think they deserve it.
Old 19-08-2008, 14:14   #7
white rabbits

Nice one,,every credit to those involved,,,
Old 19-08-2008, 14:54   #8
Senior Member+

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ots-32447.html

Is that it cashy?
tookme a while cos i (wrongly) assumed it would be one of cherokee's

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 15:14   #9
Member.

Quote:

Dito the email. Pleasing to know that the people of Britain are being listened too. Well done everybody.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 15:57   #10
God Member

Answer to Parcel43 Petition

This was the petition:

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to reduce/or free parcel postage prices for serving soldiers in afganastan and iraq.”
Details of Petition:
“after debate on army contact website it seems many are in favour of trying to reduce the cost of sending items to our loved ones in afganastan and iraq, we would like to try for free postage if possible,or to send items at a minimum rate and possibly to increas parcel weight to 3 kilo’s.many families are finding that their loved ones are going without propper food for weeks at a time and they are living in very basic conditions and any boost to moral is great for our armed forces.”

The reply:

"The Government is pleased to be able to respond positively to this petition, noting that since the petition was raised in July 2007 the substantive issue requesting free postage for parcels to Service personnel on operations in Afghanistan and Iraq has been addressed. Families and friends now have the facility to send packets of up to 2 Kg in weight to named service personnel for free. Details of the free mail service are available at Post Office counters or at the British Forces Post Office website: www.bfpo.mod.uk.
The petition also requested an increase to a 3 Kg weight limit for packages. Following careful analysis of the capacity of the postal supply chain out to operational theatres it was concluded that a 2 Kg limit, which conforms to a mail industry standard, is the most practical weight for packages which the system could realistically support without becoming overloaded. There is though, no constraint on the number of packets that families and friends can send.
Turning to the point about food, we place the utmost importance on ensuring our troops are properly fed on operations, and indeed throughout the world. Huge effort goes into nutritional analysis, designing menus, delivering food stocks and preparing food to ensure our men and women have all the nutrition they need to carry out their demanding and important tasks. There are 10 General Purpose menus available in the 24 hour Operational Ration Packs (ORP), and plans are underway to increase this number to 14. There are also five Halal, five Sikh/Hindu and five Kosher/Vegetarian variants. There are also five ‘hot climate’ supplements issued with every box of 24 hour packs. There is also a 10 Man ORP variant available. The majority of remote operating locations receive supplies of fresh food at least once a week, and over 1 million kilos of fresh fruit and vegetables have been delivered to Afghanistan in the last 12 months under UK contracts alone. Royal Logistics Corps Chefs have now been deployed to all of the Forward Operating Bases, and provide cooked meals for personnel using ORPs and fresh food supplies. Meals in the larger bases are generally provided from a three to four week multiple choice menu cycle. All chefs supporting the British Armed Forces on operations take great pride in providing a varied and high quality menu. Personal choice is taken into account when planning menu cycles and the chefs are very responsive to customer feedback."
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 16:00   #11
God Member

Quote:
i always say wyn- ya got to be in it to win it.
Start voting then!
Old 19-08-2008, 16:30   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Start voting then!
when someone (any party) instills confidence in me again i will without doubt,but all these muppets have a long way to go,to do that.
Old 19-08-2008, 16:36   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ots-32447.html

Is that it cashy?
tookme a while cos i (wrongly) assumed it would be one of cherokee's
no wonder i never found it ema, i did the same. oops
Old 19-08-2008, 16:47   #14
God Member

Free postage was one of Tony Blairs things, Petitions have been going in order to keep it going.

I think no matter which Party are in there, while ever they are sending our troups to war there should always be free postage. Petitions IMO shouldnt be needed for this but sadly they are.

Well done Ber999t for putting it up on here.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..