Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2005, 20:14   #1
God Member

Road Markings

What total idiot would decide to extend the kerb out a full car width to make a car parking bay in a place where cars were already parked and then add a bus stop such that when the bus stops NO traffic can get past. This may be OK on a minor road but I'm talking about Manchester Road!

Numpties in the extreme.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2005, 20:24   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Road Markings

That makes as much sense as the little peninsula that sticks out at the top of Ormerod Street next to the bus stop. Any traffic coming up Willows Lane and turning into Ormerod Street is automatically forced into the path of the oncoming traffic up the other side of the road.

If it's any consolation HBC isn't the only council to do barmy thngs. Look at this cycle path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg who-designed-cycle-path.jpg (53.2 KB, 22 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 20:49   #3

Welcome to the world of ex councillor (local) George Slynn & his two companions who instituted the total road cock up of Hyndburn Borough. I don't need to add that to get on Mr Slynns road committee the requirements were to have no driving licence & never have driven at all. This is not a wind up, it is fact. What I amwondering is when motorists are going to stand up & raise the riot act over the scandalous rise in petrol & deisel again. Now at 90p + per litre or £4.08 per gallon. It is not so long ago that there were blockades etc over it going above 70p, and while we are at it join it up with the "no road tolls" campaign. The bounce back of all of this is in higher costs all round as most products we need are transported at some point by road. Say nothing & pay the price!
Old 31-07-2005, 21:24   #4
I am Banned

yup i heard that the idiot didnt have a driving license as well

i also heard he got pushed into blackburn and is now making a balls up of that as well although i am not sure on that one i heard it from a taxi driver lol

cant protest over petrol prices big al coz labour/ tony blair made new laws preventing it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 21:31   #5

The guy is still on Lacashire council as a county councillor, got moved from his council home cos the garden resembled Whinney Hill tip as I recall. Given the numerous motorists around & their potential to pull the plug on tone & co you would think they would have more clout. I know Mike Rutherford of Capital radio & Auto Express has started a motorist campaign group but would expect the RAC & AA & co to make some representation. |Maybe it is time to publicise Mr Rutherfords efforts more.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:32   #6
God Member

Heh, I still pay 35p/litre for my fuel.

I agree that the motorists seem to be taking the latest price rises without any fuss. As its now over the £4/gallon I thought there would be some action.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:31   #7
God Member

High Street and Hermitage Street in Rishton has the same system. We drive home that way every evening, what a stupid mess!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:56   #8
I am Banned

all this red crap , mini roundabouts and any other annoyance on the roads is not because we need it but because europe says we have to have it although at times a bit of common sense wouldnt go a miss when doing it
Old 01-08-2005, 08:01   #9

Interesting to see that Europe dictate that speed humps should be a max height of 100mm plus should not be within 25 metres of a water course, i.e. drain- but how many are?
Old 01-08-2005, 21:19   #10
I am Banned

if that is the case then i wonder if you can claim for damage to your vehicle as under european law they are illigal ...?
Old 01-08-2005, 22:42   #11

As they are out of spec, the answer is yes. It seems that it is more economical to pass claims on to council insurers than send a team of workmen out to meet specs until wear & tear demands it.
Old 01-08-2005, 23:12   #12
God Member

Talking about the bus stops - I cornered my councillor cos one of these bus stops is right outside my house and there is bollards in the middle of the road opposite this new bus stop so no one can get past and he said its to give disabled access to buses and theyre going on the 464 route Accrington to Bacup. And its Lancashire County Council that have done it not the local councils! By the way the one outside my house i collared the bloke who came round to check on it and told him that its the worst case of workmanship i've ever seen and he says its within the tolerances of LCC!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 23:28   #13

Thats why it is within their tolerances Shillelagh!! Didnt you know that crap is quality in Lancashire.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..