Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2005, 10:58   #1
God Member

Crocodile tears and other acts of hypocrisy

So it seems the the Community Wardens are History despite the public outcry and their undoubted contribution to making the town a safer place for all of us.

The Idiot-in-Cheif has decided to pull the plug. The Council were told by central government that funding was available for two years and that when it ran out the council would have to arrange funding itself.

HBC and Barking Britcliffe did nothing to attempt to sort out further funding, except to complain that the government were cheating the borough and to whine that HBC's lack of action was everybody elses fault but theirs.

Thus we have the situation as reported on page 13 of this weeks Observer under the headline "Community Wardens given P45's".

The leader of the Labour Group, Cllr. David Myles, You remember, the one who thinks that a suit and tie places a barrier between him and the electorate and who thinks it is perfectly acceptable to attend his own wedding dressed from head to toe in medieval armour, has said that not enough had been done to save the Wardens. And added that "I would like to know what efforts are being made to secure the funding which would keep them in place".

Laudable sentiments. After all, the money has to come from somewhere and HBC has only a limited budget.

Which does nothing to explain how HBC can suddenly come up with £100,000 to fund "birthday parties" for Area Councils. Nor does it explain why Cllr. Myles felt justified in supporting the 26% increase in councillors allowances.
Old 31-07-2005, 11:10   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Crocodile tears and other acts of hypocrisy

Good point A-b, but again why does it matter what people wear?

In another thread you said the Mayoress was badly turned out, and now felt the need to say that Cllr. Myles doesn't wear a suit and tie.

What on earth has what he wore to his wedding got to do with anything? He could dress up as Queen Victoria for all I care.

Your esteemed leader Britcliffe is always 'nicely turned out' being both booted and suited, does that make him a better leader of HBC?

Politics is already becoming more and more Americanised. Lets not go down the same road.

Let's judge people by what they say, and not how they dress or how attractive they are.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 11:29   #3
God Member

In criticizing the appearance of plain jane(t) I hoped to point out that someone who looks like a sack of spuds tied round the middle does little to enhance and promote the dignity of the office conferred upon her and as an example of Hyndburns brightest and best that a second term for the previous incumbent would have been a preferable option.

Appearance does not matter in Public Life. What a ridiculous notion. Of course it matters. Why else do you think that the Labour party had to dump Michael Foot after he turned up at the Cenotaph in a Donkey Jacket? It's about Standards. It's about having respect for the institution that the public has elected you to represent them in.

I have no problem with judging people with what they do and what they say, hence my criticism of Cllr. Myles.

Cllr. Britcliffe, I hasten to point out, is not "My Leader" as even a cursory reading of my posts to date would amply illustrate.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 31-07-2005 at 11:42.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 11:29   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

like rindy i think it matters not what they wear, but unlike rindy it dont matter what they say its what they actually DO that matters. if leaflets telling us how to cook barbacue food are an example- i dispair.
Old 31-07-2005, 11:43   #5
Give, give, give member

Britcliffe is 'your' leader A-b because he is 'our' leader.

Happily l don't count him as 'my' leader because the majority of people made him so before l moved back to the area, so l am absolved.

I still don't see how what people look like matters a jot as to how they perform their job.

We have no idea what A-B looks like, nor does it matter, or does it?

Perhaps a nice little piccie on his profile will help us decide?

Last edited by garinda; 31-07-2005 at 11:44.
Old 31-07-2005, 11:53   #6
God Member

This sloppy use of definitions will not do, it leads to misunderstandings. Cllr Britcliffe is the leader of HBC and Nothing Else! As such, since I did not vote for him and he does not represent the Ward in which I live, he is not "My Leader". Indeed, I seriously doubt that on the evidence thus far in his political career that he is capable of leading a Whist Drive, much less a Local Authority!

What happens when it comes to be Cllr Myles' turn to be Mayor of Hyndburn? Will he turn up to the Mayor Making dressed in his birthday suit on the grounds that the Mayoral Robes place a barrier between the office of Mayor and the electorate?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 31-07-2005 at 12:03.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 12:25   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

What happens when it comes to be Cllr Myles' turn to be Mayor of Hyndburn? Will he turn up to the Mayor Making dressed in his birthday suit on the grounds that the Mayoral Robes place a barrier between the office of Mayor and the electorate?

Well it would save money. I hope he'll have something suitable to hang his chain on.

Or should I, as my swan song, design and make him something fitting? Free of charge of course, I'll waive my usual fee.

Old 31-07-2005, 12:32   #8
I am Banned

i actualy found teh comunity wardens usefull on a few occasions it pi**es me of that they have to go yet the council will fork out for funfairs in honour of the mayor , self indulgent payrises and god knows what other pointless wastes of money they are thinking of

it seems to me that sometimes counilors use OUR money as their own personal account to spend on the most stupid pointless crap they can think of

if it was their own money they were playing with i dare say they would be more carefull with it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 13:32   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i actualy found teh comunity wardens usefull on a few occasions it pi**es me of that they have to go yet the council will fork out for funfairs in honour of the mayor , self indulgent payrises and god knows what other pointless wastes of money they are thinking of

it seems to me that sometimes counilors use OUR money as their own personal account to spend on the most stupid pointless crap they can think of

if it was their own money they were playing with i dare say they would be more carefull with it
The Council spends some £12m. Each warden costs £19,000 to employ with on costs. The Labour Party's scheme of 24 wardens will cost around £450,000. It will be a priority. £200,000 will come from removing the beauracracy within Area Councils - Area Councils will remain or modernise and operate with minimal cost. Other savings will have to found to fund the remaining gap from back office costs and other reductions in beauracracy and paperwork. Abandoning silly schemes will save money as Chav says.

The Labour Party has said the Council Tax will not go up, however residents I have spoken to have said they would want the scheme even if the only way was to put a bit extra on Council Tax. A 10% rise would be 25p per week per household and net £400,000 in receipts.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 13:40   #10
Member.

He we go, Can we not resort to bitching between each other gentleman. I for one believe that those in public service should be smart and well tuned out, How we see people in public life gives us visual confidence in their position. Many of you went out last night and dress up for the part and spent some time doing it. Even you rindy. It the same in every establishment in which you have faith in. We are in every sense of the word what people see. If one of these councillors is representing me I’d expect them to look the part.

The real point of A-Bs comments are the loss of the Community Wardens. This is a pitiful loss to the town in my opinion. Maybe its time that less was spent criticizing each other and spent some of that energy writing to you local councillor to protest at this act of stupidity.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 14:30   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
If one of these councillors is representing me I’d expect them to look the part.
Point take, but what should they look like?

Surely actions are more important than sartorial garb?

As previously posted, PB always seems to be pictured smartly attired, sadly it doesn't make his politics any more appealing to me though.

Old 31-07-2005, 15:29   #12
I am Banned

HMM what would be suitable atire for certain HBC councilors....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robber.jpg (13.4 KB, 23 views)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 16:08   #13
God Member

I do find it strange that Cllr Britcliffe and his cabinet couldn't think ahead two years by planning further funding for the Community Warden. It's not like they didn't know the day would come when the money would run out. But to me that sums up the way the Conservatives are managing the Council - they make a great big fuss about little things as and when they happen but don't have any forward thinking or foresight.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 16:22   #14
Member.

Time we got our fingers isn’t it and got the buggers out. What’s required to secure a vote of no confidence?.................

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 18:38   #15
God Member

This farce has gone on long enough.

I sincerely hope that the Labour group will be spending every penny it can lay its hands on when the time comes to contest the Idiot-in-Chief's Ward. Anything less than a total comittment to removing The Idiot from his seat at the earliest available opportunity will be seen as a dereliction of democratic duty. I am even considering moving to Ossy just to have the pleasure of casting my vote against him.

If no one else is going to suggest it, then I nominate Gayle Knight to stand for the St Andrew's Ward. Anyone care to second the nomination?

As for Cllr. Myles, if you want to demonstrate to friends and family alike what a complete and utter prat you are by traipsing down the aisle dressed as Colon the Barbarian, then that is entirely your perogative and who shall say "nay" to you? Not I!

But when you then seek to convince the people of the borough that you also know better than they what is right for the borough, then I am afraid that you cannot be surprised if people take one look at you and start laughing!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..