Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2005, 18:56   #16
Member.

Re: Crocodile tears and other acts of hypocrisy

Would she want it?

You might want to ask her first Bob………However, If she was to agree to you proposal I would stand and second the motion.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2005, 19:21   #17
Give, give, give member

NEWSFLASH!!!

HOUSE PRICES IN OSWALDTWISTLE TUMBLE AS ACRYLIC-BOB THREATENS TO DO A DAME SHIRLEY PORTER!!!

Perhaps HBC should take a leaf out of central Government's book, and give all the councillors a make up allowance so they can look more appealing to the masses.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 19:36   #18
Member.

I’d just prefer them to look Professional Rindy.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 31-07-2005, 19:44   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I’d just prefer them to look Professional Rindy.
Professional what?

I am sorry to keep harping on about it when it wasn't really the point of the thread. I just find it fascinating. I spent half my life in fashion, and l did very nicely out of it thank you.

I just find it strange that a lot of people obviously seem to think that a person, in this case a councillor, is more able to do their job properly if they are wearing what other people deem to be suitable attire.

Are expensive training shoes, or a pair of £2 shoes from Tommy Balls or indeed a pair of Manolo Blahniks really that important as to how these public servants perform their job?

Last edited by garinda; 31-07-2005 at 19:51.
Old 31-07-2005, 19:58   #20
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Ooooh, I'd do anything for a pair of Manolos.....

We knew that the day would come when the community warden scheme would end. If my memory serves me right, we have discussed this before on this site. How is it that the citizens of this borough have known for ages that the warden scheme would need funding, but our council have been so ill prepared that they have let this happen. The wardens do a great job, but they could do so much more. They would raise enough money for their own salaries by issuing littering fines for example. Not only a source of revenue but a nice clean borough to boot......

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 20:21   #21
Member.

OK Randy Westwood…… How these people look as ****** all to do with how they do their Job. However, I know my local Community Warden is Professional and doing his Job because of his uniform! If I had the misadventure of meet Lettie professionally I know I would be in the best of hands because of her uniform….Are you starting to get the Picture? My bank manager wears a shirt and tie, so he looks the part in being a responsible individual, I wouldn’t want one of my employers managers going to asses a service user dressed in a t-shirt and jeans, I want them to look the part, that’s way they wear suites…..But this doesn’t have anything to do with the point in Question. Community Wardens fulfil a necessary function; above all else they lend us a sense of security. What are you going to do without then, are you going to fill the void as a community volunteer?....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 31-07-2005, 20:46   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the wardens do a good job without doubt, its the fact that we are losing them, thanks to INCOMPETANT CRETINS that could not plan a p*** up in a brewery that grates.
Old 31-07-2005, 21:04   #23

There is a difference between public life & private life as newspapers have found to their cost in recent times. I know David well & whatever he wears he represents our area in Clayton well & has always spoken out regardless of the cost to support the forgotten sector of Hyndburn & give Cllr B his due deserts at council meetings. Maybe that is why he felt the need to wear a suit of armour for his wedding. It is possible to dress casual & still be smart-the camera never lies-tell that to the girl who photographed faries at the bottom of her garden (no pun intended Garinda). Actions & words speak out far louder than what comes out of ones wardrobe. maybe the funding could be found by passing the P45s on to the muppets masquerading as traffic wardens who are doing as big a job of cock ups as Cllr B!

Last edited by big al; 31-07-2005 at 21:23.
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 22:14   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
My bank manager wears a shirt and tie.
She must look very smart!

I'm sure Lettie does just as good a job as the midwifes did 50 years ago, when they had to wear frilly starched hats and stockings, or would you prefer that?

Old 31-07-2005, 22:16   #25
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
She must look very smart!

I'm sure Lettie does just as good a job as the midwifes did 50 years ago, when they had to wear frilly starched hats and stockings, or would you prefer that?
Wouldn't you?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-08-2005, 09:11   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

If no one else is going to suggest it, then I nominate Gayle Knight to stand for the St Andrew's Ward. Anyone care to second the nomination?

Thank you A-B, you're the last person I would have expected to have nominated me, oh, apart from Tealeaf of course. Only joking!

All I can say is - watch this space!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 13:13   #27
God Member

Well I'm pleased that I can still pull a surprise or two out of my battered old hat... Go for it girl!
Old 01-08-2005, 13:20   #28
God Member

Thanks A-B, I might just do that.

And for the record, if I did do that you would have to bear in mind that I would have an interest in upping the provision of all arts in the area. But, and this is a very big BUT, with regard to the Panopticon and MPA - it would actually mean that I WOULDN'T be able to have any influence at all because I would have to declare them as a conflict of interest and so would be unable to vote in any matters that concerned them. Just thought I'd get that in quickly before you all started panicking about Panopticons popping up all over the place.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 13:25   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
if I did do that you would have to bear in mind that I would have an interest in upping the provision of all arts in the area.
It will be difficult, but I think that we might just manage to cope with that - So long as you make sure that you fix Britcliffe's little red wagon good and proper!
Old 01-08-2005, 13:31   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Well I'm pleased that I can still pull a surprise or two out of my battered old hat..
What's your hat size?

I'll knock you a nice, new smart one up.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..