Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 19:10   #1
God Member

Romany Fortune tellers

Right, what's everyone's opinion on fortune tellers.

We've just come back from Southport air show and there was a Romany Fortune tellers caravan. Normally, I avoid these places like the plague, too sceptical, but for some strange reason I was curious. So, I parted with my money and listened to her prattling on for about five minutes about my future. Most things were very vague (could have applied to anyone or she could have guessed), a few things were spot on and one thing was most definitely way out.

So what should I do - believe the good stuff and ignore the rest, or just ignore the lot?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2005, 19:18   #2
God Member

Re: Romany Fortune tellers

I believe there are some good and bad psychics out there but wouldn't know how to spot a good one so just don't bother although I do believe in it. If I was you I'd just take it with a pinch of salt.

Was airshow good???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 19:35   #3
I am Banned

until one is willing to tell me the winning number on the lottery i an not interested , i know they say the cant prdict for self gain but telling me wont get them a thing

isnt psychic latin for guess work...?

shoulda saved your cash and bought a scratch card
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 19:43   #4
God Member

I've never been to a Romany fortune teller Gayle but have had my Tarot cards read several times, I do believe in it and although I have been told some things that could apply to anyone I've also been told things that are specific to me, my partner thinks its a load of rubbish. Why dont you get it done again by someone else and see if anything's the same.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 20:13   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

I don't believe in this sort of thing BUT.........

We were living in Whitby at the time and it was Regatta week. On a whim, I went to see a Romany fortune teller, an elderly woman, in her caravan on the pier. I knew she had seen me outside with my husband and, at that time, 2 children aged 9 and 7. She told me one of my children would be very "clever" and the other would be very musical. She said my husband would soon be offered a new job which he should not turn down and she said, "Your family life will change and you'll think you won't be happy but, you will".

Within 6 months my husband was unexpectedly offered a very good job in the North East which eventually led on to an even better one in Manchester. Two years later, when I was just about to return full-time to the Civil Service, I became pregnant with my youngest child - a complete shock to all of us! At first I was devastated but the result was my lovely younger daughter.

My eldest daughter has become an accountant with numerous qualifications and my son has been a semi-professional musician for 20 years. She could probably see the potential in the children - maybe there's a "look" to a studious person or a musician - but it was the change of job and the change of family (I didn't want to have a 3rd child but I'm so glad I did) that made me stop and think.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Old 10-09-2005, 20:21   #6
God Member

This one told me that I liked travel (not hard to guess as I have a tan still), that I work hard (random guess that means nothing), that I had a man who was devoted to me who didn't tell me often (that describes most men) and that my children cause me concern (what children don't?). But she also said that one child was going to be creative (could have been a guess but given who I am it was a good guess), she said a close family member had just died (also could have been a guess but my nanna died recently) and then she said that very soon I would have two jobs (odd guess but an interesting one).

The one thing she got really wrong was that I've had a hard life. I'm not bragging or anything but I've not had a hard life at all, so it was way off the mark.

I just think it was a case of lucky guesses and a few observations.

Old 10-09-2005, 20:44   #7
God Member

Could it be proved it was a real romany?
Theer are people labeled as gypsies yet the romany are the real thing.
I they were genuine then there is no harm.
Did it make you feel better worse or indifferent?
I would try anything once but I would have to be sure its the real thing.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 20:50   #8
God Member

She had that general romany kind of look about her but I could do that with some hooped earrings and a fringed skirt.

Made me feel better I suppose but wasn't feeling bad to start off with. I think I'm settling on the side of it being a load of tosh - I'll keep you all posted in the current months about her predictions.

Old 10-09-2005, 20:58   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Could it be proved it was a real romany?
Theer are people labeled as gypsies yet the romany are the real thing.
I they were genuine then there is no harm.
Did it make you feel better worse or indifferent?
I would try anything once but I would have to be sure its the real thing.

I was very sceptical and only did it for a "laugh". The lady (and she was a lady) that I saw was unpretentious and not at all invasive. She must have been in her 70s and, if nothing else, was a very wise and perceptive lady. She told me she was a Romany and very proud of it and I had no reason not to believe her.
Old 10-09-2005, 21:12   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

never been to one-never will, theres enough usually on the aldi car park,but i know there is some genuine folk about, not necessarily romany fortune tellers,always have an open mind i say,you never know what you,ll lose if you don,t.
Old 10-09-2005, 21:21   #11

I have not been to a fortune teller but used to have tarot cards read. They were usually accurate. I taught myself to read them but only for me. I'm not selfish, just too scared of the damage I could cause if I saw something bad in them.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 18:23   #12
Accy Goddess

My Nanna used to read tea leaves.
She always used to say that it was a gift and people should use it has a gift.
She told me always to be warey of people doing it for money.
Go by your gut instinct.
Take away with you the bits that meant something and leave the rest behind.
What will be will be at the end of the day.
Every thing happens for a reason.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 18:55   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Load of tosh
Same answer as my horiblescopes one Gayle.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 19:18   #14
Beacon of light

I once looked after a lady who was a psychic medium. All the nurses were having readings done by this lady. I didn't ask her to do a reading for me, but she offered to do one for me.
At first I refused.....it was just before I took my Hospital finals......I didn't want her to tell me that I was going to fail...or that I was going to pass either for that matter.
The week after I went onto nights and the lady was still in the ward. One night she couldn't sleep and I made her a milky drink......she asked me to sit down as she had been visited by my grandma......I must have looked a bit sceptical because she realised that I didn't believe her......and I didn't, until she told me how my grandma had died. She told me lots of things about my family that she couldn't possibly have known.......she told me that one of my brothers was going to have a marriage break up. Loads of things......and what is spookier.... they nearly all came true. I was really spooked.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..