Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 08:54   #1
Resident Waffler

Windmills

HRH Prince Charles doesn't fancy the idea of a windfarm in the vicinity of the Castle of Mey, the childhood home of the Queen Mother. It's up in the highlands and hardly likely to bother many people and from where the Queen Mum is right now I can't see her having much of an objection either.

Aren't they supposed to be environmentally friendly? Aren't they a renewable source of energy in this age of diminishing resources?

This prompted me to wonder how other people feel about them.

Personally although I wouldn't want one right outside my backdoor as it would probably be quite noisy I do actually find them quite a pleasant sight up on a hillside. A darned site more attractive than a nuclear power station anyway.

Busman says that's probably because we've got a baby one of our own up at the caravan.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-09-2005, 09:01   #2
God Member

Re: Windmills

Considering that they are only about 20% efficient at converting available wind energy into electricity I have to say they are a pretty bad idea and a bit of an eyesore to boot. And perhaps this is why the Queen, noted for her fiscal prudence, has chosen to spend millions on providing Windsor Castle with a hydro-electrical system powered by Old Father Thames.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 11-09-2005 at 09:03.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:05   #3
Resident Waffler

Oh I think our baby one is quite pretty. At least we get 20% of the wind which we wouldn't otherwise get and it powers our lights and TV.

There's a guy down Peterborough way has a mushroom farm/factory which is powered by one. Saves on his electricity bill.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:48   #4
Senior Member+

I think they are a good idea if they help to save money.I could do with one in my back garden.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:45   #5
Give, give, give member

I wasn't allowed to have a bike when I was a child, as it was considered too dangerous where we lived then on Stanhill Lane. I manged to find a bike substitute on the tip, which was a wheel chair, and used to get my friend Shirley to push me up and down the lane, only after doing a Rindy make over and painting it beige with black spots.

My much loved form of transport was cruelly taken from me though, in the power cuts of the early seventies. My Dad took the wheels off, and along with a church pew, and some lengths of drainpipe, boilt a windmill on top of the garage.

It measured over twenty feet tall and Mum, and some of our neighbours were mortified. Traffic used to stop, and people used to stand across from the house to gawp.

It didn't generate enough energy to power the television, but we were the only house in Ossy with lights on downstairs.

Last edited by garinda; 11-09-2005 at 12:47.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 13:44   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

probably prince charles objects because the trees will not be able to hear him talking to them if theres a windfarm in the vicinity.lol don,t think they look too bad personally.
Old 11-09-2005, 13:49   #7
I am Banned

with those ears it dosnt matter where they put the windmills charlie will always be able to hear them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 15:32   #8
God Member

I agree with chave with them ears he should hear anything. Mind you in a strong wind does he spin as well? Besides if Joe Public and Fred the Farmer have to put up with them why should be different? He spouts of enough about renewable energy so he can lump it he cannot have it both ways.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 15:53   #9
I am Banned

i am chav and i havnt been on or inside a windmill in holland but it only took me one post to tell you all that
Old 11-09-2005, 16:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i am chav and i havnt been on or inside a windmill in holland but it only took me one post to tell you all that
lmao!!! well your obviously not trying hard enough to increase your posts total are you!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 16:04   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny gem
lmao!!! well your obviously not trying hard enough to increase your posts total are you!!!
well ime a great believer that if you must talk crap at least have the decency to compress it into as few posts as possible lol
Old 11-09-2005, 16:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
well ime a great believer that if you must talk crap at least have the decency to compress it into as few posts as possible lol

lol...well all i have to say is... "job well done!!"
Old 11-09-2005, 16:09   #13
Give, give, give member

I am Garinda. I was winded by a miller. What am I on about? What's a windmill? Help me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 16:12   #14
land of hope and glory

you sit on it and spin round!!

staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 16:16   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I am Garinda. I was winded by a miller. What am I on about? What's a windmill? Help me.
A guy with a gas problem in the rear.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..