Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2004, 11:56   #16

Re: Rubbish !

To the person who took a point from my Karma due to my post on this subject - WHY? At least put a reason...or have you no sense of humour...its hardly offensive or controversial...I couldn't really care less about my karma score - but I do want to know why my post has upset you enough to be so petty and have a cowardly dig at me like you have done. What have I said that is any different in tone to what everybody else has said?
Old 20-09-2004, 12:00   #17
God Member

I gave some karma the other day and it gave 3 so i presume mine takes 3 as well... so dont upset me
Old 20-09-2004, 12:07   #18

There was nothing in my post for anybody to get upset or offended about I was just trying to make a humourous, tongue in cheek contribution to the thread - I am flabbergasted as to why anyone would want to take a swipe at me for that!
Old 20-09-2004, 12:31   #19
God Member

Don't worry, guys.....I've just given you some Karma...........
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 13:16   #20
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I gave some karma the other day and it gave 3 so i presume mine takes 3 as well... so dont upset me
OOh what do you have to do to be able to give 3 points? When I give some it only goes up one!!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 13:43   #21

Off the topic a little bit...but mine won't let me give or take from certain people!!! Not that I want to take anybodys away...I prefer just to give it to somebody who has made a good point or made me laugh.

If their post seems dumb or not humourous...I just ignore it!!

Nowt as funny as Folk!!!!

CJ...it might have been your reference to a profit (oohps I'll probably loose one as well!!)

Last edited by Darby; 20-09-2004 at 13:46.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 15:53   #22

Cheers Tealeaf - but like I said its not the point that I lost one (big deal...its not like points win prizes) its the fact that I've supposed to have upset someone for absolutely nothing. If its the reference to Mohammed then whoever it is needs to severely check their head.
Old 20-09-2004, 22:39   #23

If you are implying me you need to get a look at rules where it says I cant do any karma until I have 100 posts. I know the saying mountain wont come to ............

You are not Salman Rushdie writing Satanic Verses but even if you did I give you the right to say so. The post of mine got deleted where I said it causes more trouble for people keep saying cant do this or that it will offend. I said this country was known for free speach and that was good but sad now it is not so.

Today I read the paper Guy Fawkes night might offend Catholic people. How many hundreds of years has it not offended? Why suddenly does it offeend? Has any catholic said it offends? So what happens? People start to blame catholics if they cant have it when no catholic was offended. PC people again causing trouble when they say they are preventing trouble.

You said karma doesnt bother you so why complain? You have a lot of it.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 06:25   #24
God Member

Busman's comment about the lady who bought her own bin wagon is interesting, but I wonder if that qualifies her for a reduction in Council Tax. You can bet your sweet bippy that HBC wouldn't give anything back if the same solution was tried here.

('Sweet bippy' is from an American tv comedy, I'm showing my age, I know. but I'm doing my best not to swear.)

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 21-09-2004 at 06:26.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 06:43   #25
Resident Waffler

I read the same article but her local council's comment was that she was defeating the object which is to meet government targets of producing less rubbish.

When HBC brought up that argument with me I told them that the alternative which some people choose is flytipping and I was beginning to see the appeal of it myself!

Old 21-09-2004, 08:29   #26

Ifty, you are amongst the last people I would expect to do something as snide and petty! I have explained why I'm a bit bemused by it though.

Still nothing in my area re:new coloured bins, HBC were distributing them in the Norfolk St/Burnley Rd region one month ago and as I'm only ten streets away I was expecting mine soon - fortunately (it seems from this and other threads) they haven't arrived.
Old 21-09-2004, 13:07   #27
God Member

>>she was defeating the object which is to meet government targets of producing less rubbish. <<

Oh I see, so collecting four bags of rubbish once a fortnight is better than collecting two bags of rubbish once a week because that helps cut down on the amount of rubbish there is to collect. I can see the logic in that. Lets make the collection service so awful that people will have to take at least half their rubbish to the tip themselves, then when the Government ask how much we collected we can say in all honesty, and with our hands on our hearts, that it was only 50% of last years amount. Targets met, everybody happy, double gin and tonics all round!

I used to be cynical, until I found out that things really were as bad as I thought they were.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 21-09-2004 at 13:09.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 13:14   #28
Resting in peace

Don't tell us about producing less rubbish - tell the manufacturers who package their stuff in three or four wrappings. What are we supposed to do with that - eat it? Mind you, some of the stuff they produce these days, the cardboard wrapping probably has more taste ...
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 13:19   #29
Resident Waffler

Well, theoretically you are supposed to recycle the cardboard in one skip at the tip, the paper in another, the plastic in yet another etc, etc - thus reducing the final amount to anything which doesn't fit into the recyclable categories.

Old 21-09-2004, 13:22   #30
Resting in peace

Yeah, I get the point, but surely it's simpler just to eat it?

What if you're elderly, can't cart rubbish around, don't have a car? I am all in favour of recycling, goodness knows I do enough of it with London beer, but this is getting silly.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..