Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2004, 00:04   #1

Rules

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Accrington Web will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Accrington Web, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Accrington Web reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

This is what I agreed to to join this forum. I can't actually see many rules. I see a bit of policy. You say that all messages express the views of the author and the owners are not responsible for what is put. I have said that I agreewill not post obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening or otherwise volative of any laws. I don't know what volative means but I have seen hateful obscene and vulgar things posted anyway which are left even tho you say you reserve the right to remove them. A friend of mine put what you probably call hateful in reply to something where somebody else put something hateful. My friend was banned. No warning, no message about why, no second chances. Banned just like that. Other things are put which are sexual oriented and vulgar or obscene and they are still there and so are the people who put them. Maybe its cos my friend is Asian and you don't like Asian speaking their mind?

I expect to be banned and this to be removed but I hope some people see and know that this is a very one sided place where some people get on and can call other people and insult and so forth but when an opposing point is made then it means banned and no warnings and no chance even to defend what is said or make amends or even know if the person presumed insulted has made an objection and if someone has done then who it is and given a chance to sort it out.

Wouldn't it be better if you gave them a chance?
ossyclogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2004, 11:23   #2

Re: Rules

I would be interested to learn how you consider the moderator who banned your friend knew that the person was a Asian.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 11:44   #3
Len
God Member

Who is your friend?

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 11:54   #4

Where is this obscene, hateful and vulgar threadage that you talk of? I'm on here every day and I haven't seen any of it! I would say that this is not a 'one-sided' site as you claim, differing opinions are welcome and as valid as the next one and as proof I can safely say that I have disagreed with the majority on some threads but have never had my thoughts on the subject deleted.

"Is it cos I is black?" Oh please.....
Old 23-08-2004, 12:04   #5
Member.

I am certainly aware of the offending thread which was posted between the late hours of Saturday evening and early hours of Sunday morning. All I will comment on at this time is I personally thought it to be offensive in its content and in some instances as it almost certainly contravened the race relations act. I believe that matter was address quite rightly by a senior gentleman shortly after being posted.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 14:35   #6

I think we've been here before....I'm sure that if you post anything that is considered offensive you get a warning before anything is deleted!!

As for the race relations act........don't mention it....!!! Are we grown-up or what???

We all have a bit of a dig at something or other, but by and large we all agree to disagree. That's what is so effective about this site. We use to call it Common Sense.

Anyway I see that Ossyclogs posting has not been deleted...nuff said!!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 16:13   #7
Len
God Member

If the person you are talking about is the one that got banned on Sunday.
The reason why he/she did not receive a warning was because he/she had not enabled Private Messaging so the mod was unable to PM.
As far as I know he/she has got a 7-day ban.

Donate to Accyweb here:
Old 23-08-2004, 19:29   #8
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
I expect to be banned and this to be removed but I hope some people see and know that this is a very one sided place where some people get on and can call other people and insult and so forth but when an opposing point is made then it means banned and no warnings and no chance even to defend what is said or make amends or even know if the person presumed insulted has made an objection and if someone has done then who it is and given a chance to sort it out.
Why do you expect this to be removed? Why do you think we are one-sided?

Quote:
Banned just like that. Other things are put which are sexual oriented and vulgar or obscene and they are still there and so are the people who put them. Maybe its cos my friend is Asian and you don't like Asian speaking their mind?
Now this annoys me! How on earth are we supposed to know what race you are, in this virtual world we have here? You think I might have programmed in a special web camera viewing system that rings alarm bells and flags users?

Our policys are small, as we rely on people using common sense. We are only a small website in a small part of the world, and there is generally no trouble. People have respect for each other and things are usually left on the site UNLESS someone reports it and has a genuine issue with the post/thread.

I'm afraid you can take this forum or you can leave it. As far as I and I am sure all of our members are concerned you are welcome to come and join in.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 19:34   #9

Well said Roy. I too made the point about the moderator being unaware of the race of the poster. How silly.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 23:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
If the person you are talking about is the one that got banned on Sunday.
The reason why he/she did not receive a warning was because he/she had not enabled Private Messaging so the mod was unable to PM.
As far as I know he/she has got a 7-day ban.
If you are meaning me and I got banned just over a week ago as far as I know. If you had deleted the post and PM me about it would have been a good start.

Contrary to comments by those in control here I have never had a stop on receiving private messages and I have not been sent a message to explain why I was banned or given a warning before the ban. Of course I cannot prove it and it will always be my word against the word of the law of the website but they know the truth as much as I do. Nothing said I was only banned for one week. I only looked off chance just now and saw that I am not banned now. I have not touched my profile and anyone can try sending me a message they will see it gets through.

I think you don't like my opinion but I am not putting down anyone here apart from when someone knocks Accy saying it's not as good as other places and all the things wrong with it. You prefer to have someone who knocks the place and tells you what it should be like instead of someone who will defend it and say there are bad places in the rest of the country worse than Accy.

What I do think is about PC gone mad and why people take offence now. Keep fighting people off who mean no harm only makes people more agressive and turn against the people who need to feel they have to have protection from rules and the law and can't just get on and LIVE.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 23:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby

As for the race relations act........don't mention it....!!! Are we grown-up or what???
YES!!!! and that was my point in what I said and got banned for saying.
Old 31-08-2004, 00:47   #12
God Member

If you people dont like the way the forum is run then why dont you sod off somewhere else or start your own. Moan moan moan moan moan. Same posters. same old record.

Just a thought
Old 31-08-2004, 08:43   #13
Resident Waffler

I once had a post deleted and wasn't told why so I can sympathise with Ifty. I recall a little while ago other people also asked if certain points could be clarified because they were unsure what was acceptable and what wasn't. If we overstep some mark it does help to be told why. It doesn't necessarily mean we disagree with the whole website and have nothing else to say on any other subject.

If we all agreed with each other on every topic it would be a most boring place wouldn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 11:23   #14
Len
God Member

ifty. welcome back.
I'm glad you have decided to rejoin us.

But,
You seem to be over looking the post you made in another thread the same night where you attacked another member with a direct insult by calling him a “complete a***hole” Fortunately that other member had not seen that post. Otherwise we would have had another slanging match on our hands. To this day that other poster still thinks you are a decent fellow thanks to that moderator.

Donate to Accyweb here:
Old 31-08-2004, 17:25   #15

PM replying

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..