Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2013, 08:59   #1
Resting in Peace

Sad News

Heard some sad news yesterday, former Conservative Councillor for Rishton, Stan Horne has died, I work with Stan in politics for a few years, he was a native of Burnley RIP Stan.
Judith Addison likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2013, 09:02   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Sad News

Some More sad news, My good friend and former Tory Councillor Brian Walmsley has been ill for some time, Brian had a stroke on Christmas Eve and has been in hospital, recently he was transferred to rehab, but sadly he was readmitted to hospital last weekend, just hoping he soon gets back on his feet and able to go home
Old 21-04-2013, 09:50   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Heard some sad news yesterday, former Conservative Councillor for Rishton, Stan Horne has died, I work with Stan in politics for a few years, he was a native of Burnley RIP Stan.
Quote:
Some More sad news, My good friend and former Tory Councillor Brian Walmsley has been ill for some time, Brian had a stroke on Christmas Eve and has been in hospital, recently he was transferred to rehab, but sadly he was readmitted to hospital last weekend, just hoping he soon gets back on his feet and able to go home
Sad news about Stan, I worked with Stan when I was working, he was always enthusiastic about his Ward and the Borough.

Also worked with Brian when he was appointed to the Parks and Open spaces Committee, get well soon Brian.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 13:53   #4
Senior Member+

Stan was my step sons next door neighbour, heard on friday he had died, didn`t realize he was such a well known public figure.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 17:44   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Sad news about Stan, I worked with Stan when I was working, he was always enthusiastic about his Ward and the Borough.

Also worked with Brian when he was appointed to the Parks and Open spaces Committee, get well soon Brian.
Sadly I've been talking to Brian's daughter this afternoon, he did come out of hospital earlier this week but was rushed back yesterday, it now appears there is very little they can do for him,
Old 23-04-2013, 09:11   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sadly I've been talking to Brian's daughter this afternoon, he did come out of hospital earlier this week but was rushed back yesterday, it now appears there is very little they can do for him,
Sorry to hear that, he was always easy to deal with, and worked with you to sort problems out.
Old 23-04-2013, 09:43   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Sorry to hear that, he was always easy to deal with, and worked with you to sort problems out.
Brain is one of the guys I could really call a mate, since JKH died he's the only contact I've had from former so called colleges, he came to se me every week while I was in hospital, Its upset me that I'm not in a position to do the same.
Old 23-04-2013, 12:29   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Brain is one of the guys I could really call a mate, since JKH died he's the only contact I've had from former so called colleges, he came to se me every week while I was in hospital, Its upset me that I'm not in a position to do the same.
I am sure he knows the situation, and his family would have passed it on that you were concerned for him.

As time goes on the people we worked with move elsewhere or retire and suddenly its not the same workforce anymore. I know that where I worked, I only know a handful of people now, and I am sure the people there now have never heard of me, and I spent almost 40 years in the same department.
So its a warming thought that Brian kept in touch.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29   #9

Only just found out Stan Horne died recently i played in a couple of bands with Stan and remember many nights out on the road at gigs and the banter that went with it.
Just been looking at some old photos with him in the band sat playing his Farfisa organ
fond memories
Barry Dickinson

Rip Stan
zippy139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 15:46   #10

Did Stan used to work as a delivery driver at Lancashire Evening Telegraph?
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 17:35   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Did Stan used to work as a delivery driver at Lancashire Evening Telegraph?
I know he had something to do with transport at the Telegraph
Old 03-05-2013, 17:41   #12

Yes the same Stan, 20 odd years ago we used to attend the planning meetings,spending half the time winding each other up over Tory politics. A good bloke. R.i.p.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 17:54   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Yes the same Stan, 20 odd years ago we used to attend the planning meetings,spending half the time winding each other up over Tory politics. A good bloke. R.i.p.
Stan had only two topics of conversation politics and music, in fact when he frequented Ossy Con, we had a rule especially for Stan, do not mention politics around this bar
Old 03-05-2013, 18:33   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Stan had only two topics of conversation politics and music, in fact when he frequented Ossy Con, we had a rule especially for Stan, do not mention politics around this bar
I found him the opposite, when he sat in my office I was regaled with tales of his time as delivery manager for the Telegraph, and the composition of Burnley news against Blackburn news. Politics never came into his reasons to visit, just to see if we could help with a problem he had.
Old 03-05-2013, 21:14   #15
God Member

a couple of years ago stan dressed up as zorro and helped raise money for a local childrens hospice on a pub crawl round great harwood and ossy with me and a few others from the ossy con.Didnt get to know him that well but a decent enough chap .

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..