Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2005, 14:44   #1
Beacon of light

School Yard Games

Just before the schools broke up for the summer there was a report in the paper about Leicestershire Dinner Ladies being given instruction on teaching the kids to play School Yard Games.........like hopscotch, french elastic, five stones, what time is it Mr Wolf etc.
They were given little cards with game rules on...... this is apparently because playtime games are dying out.

Do your children play these games at school.......and do you think it is a good idea to encourage the playing of these games......?????
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2005, 15:05   #2
God Member

Re: School Yard Games

I still play 'em.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 15:08   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

My granddaughter's school, round the corner from my house and the same school her mum went to, has 2 hopscotch grids painted on the tarmacked playground. She seems to play many of the same games I did as a child (she's 5) but maybe that's because the school encourages it and the kids have to play outside at breaks unless there's 4' of snow or a tornado.

One thing I've never got used to, even after 30 years here, is what the kids call what I knew as Tig. Here it's called Tick. Anyway, at least they still play it.
Old 22-07-2005, 16:17   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think its great to see kiddies playing these games, we had hours of harmless fun with them,used to mark the hopscotch out on the flags.(would that be regarded as graffiti these days)it would come as no surprise!
Old 22-07-2005, 16:22   #5
God Member

Did you read in the paper today that some schools are banning rounders. They think it's too dangerous for kids to play these days.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 16:27   #6
God Member

Are you sure that's because of Health & Safety? Is it not because, as in any sport, there are winners and losers, and we can't have the latter, can we? (or should I say those who have their "success deferred")
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 16:59   #7
Beacon of light

When I was at school......which, I know is a long time ago.......games used to have seasons.
Marbles, skipping ropes, whips and tops all had clearly defined seasons......I mean, I know that conkers were an autumn pursuit.......but all the others, well, no-one said when it was time to bring out the skipping ropes.....or the five stones or the whips and tops.....it just seemed to happen.
Old 22-07-2005, 17:03   #8
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Did you read in the paper today that some schools are banning rounders. They think it's too dangerous for kids to play these days.
Don’t you just get sick of these idiots?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 17:27   #9
Beacon of light

Where would children find their competitive spirit?
As Bob Dylan observed in one of his songs 'there's no success like failure, and failure's no success at all'

If children are not exposed to failure, how will they cope with failure when they become adults?
Old 22-07-2005, 17:34   #10
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Where would children find their competitive spirit?
As Bob Dylan observed in one of his songs 'there's no success like failure, and failure's no success at all'

If children are not exposed to failure, how will they cope with failure when they become adults?
What worries me Margaret is that our children are the Policeman and Serviceman of tomorrow and I’m beginning to worry that they might not be competitive enough when they face situations of danger.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 17:34   #11
land of hope and glory

kiss catch ! the fittest birds at school where the ones who where pretty they had to run faster........lol
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 17:36   #12
Senior Member+

Do kids still play hide and seek?
Old 22-07-2005, 17:39   #13
Beacon of light

The kids who live near me don't seem to play any organised games......they just seem to roam around throwing stones at the globes on street lamps and wielding sticks at one another. I really don't think they know how to play.

And yes Doug, you are right with that point.
Old 22-07-2005, 18:35   #14

I don't suppose they will play with bows and arrows nowadays
acertun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 18:42   #15
Senior Member+

The arrows would'nt have suckers on the end if the kids played with them these days.lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..