Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2006, 12:35   #1

self service

hmm not sure if anyone discussed this yet...but has anyone used the self service bit at asda yet??? it looks kinda funky. Is it the way forward??
Old 18-07-2006, 12:39   #2
God Member

Re: self service

for those of us who dont know what your talking about ?...... go on....share?
Old 18-07-2006, 12:43   #3

lol...theres a couple of self service tills at asda..im not sure exactly what the details are on how to use etc......but theyr new and look very funky....they are black with a little scale on and a bit to flash your barcode...also a slot to put your credit/debit card. fraid thats all the info i know
Old 18-07-2006, 12:50   #4

I`ve heard about it, not much details though.. how does it work with regard to dishonest people accidently on purpose not scanning their products?
those were the days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 12:50   #5
I am Banned

i think the correct way to use these machines is 1 item under the scanner then 2 items over the top straight into the bags and so on untl your all packed up

i have yet to recieve confirmation on this from asda

seriously now.

i use the same thing at tescos in haslingden and its ok if you got a small shop but i prefer to use the propper checkouts if i have a lot of stuff becuse they are faster at it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 12:56   #6

so do they hand out training mauals to use them? i am aware that most checkouts can be used by trained monkeys (alas i used to be one) but are they fairly self explanatory...hmm i think this needs investigating further...any volunteers??
Old 18-07-2006, 13:03   #7
I am Banned

they have on screen instructions on the ones at tescos but dont wory they have some assistants to show the brainded and illiterate how to use them as well

not calling you either of those lol

honest
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 13:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
they have on screen instructions on the ones at tescos but dont wory they have some assistants to show the brainded and illiterate how to use them as well

not calling you either of those lol

honest

hey braindead and illiterate are actually my middle names....really unfortunate there...my mum had a mix up when they where asking her to name me....
Old 18-07-2006, 13:09   #9
God Member

If you can use a PC, then an automated checkout is a piece of p**s. However, simply because of the space available in the checkout area, it is not a good idea to buy more than 10 or 12 items. The main problem areas are as follows:

1) Scanner fails to read - call the assistant!

2) Most items are prepacked with barcode. When you get loose items - e.g bananas - then you have to touch the screen, scroll down to the relevant piccy, touch and then weigh. The supermarkets are trying to keep loose items to a minimum, which means more packaging. I suppose that the checkout girls made redundant will end up working in Huncoat's state of the art recyling facility to deal with all this lot.

3) Red Label stuff (reduced price sell by date items). Nomally, the red label goes over the barcode....i.e. reduced from £1.99 to 10p...and the checkout girl removes the label and manually keys in the new price. I have not yet seen this reduced item prices on sale in auto checkouts.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 20:35   #10
God Member

they make random checks on you, you get all your shopping emptied as your about to leave and scanned manually, if they find out you've missed a load of stuff you'll be banned from using it again at the very least.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 20:41   #11
God Member

It really annoys me. How penny pinching, money grubbing are these supermarkets? They've probably made half a dozen people redundant because they don't need to man the tills.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 20:46   #12
God Member

I'd never use one, I refused to use esso's auto pumps at stockport, but it looks like asda petrol stations are all credit cards or note slots now, there isn't a pay kiosk here.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 21:13   #13
God Member

ive used em at tesco and we just got them at asda over here i like them but like folk say they,re ok for a few items not for the big buy, but yeah quite funky .. I agree with MH on petrol though those new pay at pump things at asda are a pain whats wrong with the good old kiosk and just how many poor folk are losing their jobs cus of these machines
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 21:55   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
They've probably made half a dozen people redundant because they don't need to man the tills.
Please no sexist comments, can we please say "they don't need to staff the tills"
Old 19-07-2006, 21:57   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee
just how many poor folk are losing their jobs cus of these machines
Plenty.

That is what machines are for. Unfortuneatly for many, it is called progress. Machines allow companies to cut cost that they can then pass on to us customers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..