Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2005, 11:36   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Serious Topic - Do Women Have More Rights Than Men?

don't know about women having more rights than men! what i do know is women are always RIGHT. pmsl
Old 27-06-2005, 12:51   #17
Resting in peace

There is actually no such thing as custody any more. It was abolished by the Children Act some time ago. The current thinking is that both parents should have equal responsibility for their child(ren), although it is normally the case that the children live with mother. In many cases, mother does not/has not worked, and the children have spent more time with her. That said, fathers should and can get reasonable access - and it can be enforced more strongly than before. There is a move in the Courts to send mothers to prison if they consistently refuse access, and not before time. A parent can get a Residence Order, whereby the Court states that the child should live with that parent, but a father usually has to prove that the mother is unfit before he is granted one.

And yes, the children are consulted as to which parent they want to live with, once they are old enough to make a reasoned decision.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 12:53   #18
Resting in peace

Forgot to add this bit - I am concerned about sexual harassment in the workplace. It does happen, but far too many women over-react these days. However, lads, there is a world of difference between an appreciative look and feeling up the goods! I would treat any allegation made by a member of staff with a degree of scepticism and would want some corroboration/proof.
Old 27-06-2005, 23:59   #19
I am Banned

all it took was a tiny sacrifice from one stupid "suffering get" who decided to throw herself in front of the kings horse, in protest that she was as equal to any man and wanted equal status so now what are you women doing to do eh? mollify every male around? ... you actually think you can outsmart a real man? har har har ... well two x,s never make a y (chromesome) meaning that even if there are a thousand "mummies" around a child, it would never come close to five minutes with his or her real FATHER, for a start, who is most likely to tell the child the truth about the real world instead of filling its head with sick fantasies of a world of equality where decent people can live in peace with the demented...its sssooooooo unholy! im sorry to have to bursts your bubbles ladies but there is only one way you can ever be equal to a man and that is you have to be lucky enough to have been born one... brussells can make as many rules and pass as many laws as they like, but i have it from the highest authority, that in every known universe that contains a life force there is a perfectly natural pecking order whether it be an "evolutionary order" or an "intelligent order" ....this order to the chaos on this island earth has been totally buggered up by your strife for equality which can never be, allow me to be the first to say that war is inevitable, world war... for which no-one in this country is prepared for should it suddenly loom before the appropiate time...too busy embracing sodom and building giant monuments to adulterers while paying for the privelidge of getting your own money from the banks! ...... still lets see what womenkind can do first, ...like the first eve who tempted adam ...or the slut salome who had john the baptists head cut off, to the modern day 6 kid 7 father unmarried trollops who use the children as weapons in order to extract money from all concerned, this planet is one big asylum like a home without a father in it...constant bickering...a blatant disregard for laws and the delusion that we are all equal... well god made man in his image, not woman, so get over it and go and make a brew or summat.......
p.s.margaret thatcher couldnt even be equal after fighting with some argy schoolies and having that operation you can have done at private hospital....whatsit called... oh yeah...a strappadictomy! blessed are the ignorant, for they shall inherit large bills.....
the real michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 06:00   #20

Oh my...michael - funniest post ever!

I have to assume you are joking, because surely nobody could be that daft and still breathe...
Old 28-06-2005, 17:19   #21
Resting in peace

Oh dear, another male who hasn't read Margaret Mead. Also, all you are stuck with are stupid X chromosomes - we have a Y as well. And who are all these women who achieve parthenogenesis? It takes two to make a baby - even if one is a sperm donor, so where are all these men taking responsibility for their illegitimate offspring? No, blame the woman, it's easier.

As for slagging off the women who fought for the right to vote, words (almost) fail me. Fortunately I am a woman, so they rarely do.

You gave me a laugh, though, Michael - no-one with half a brain could seriously believe that the possession of wedding tackle makes them a higher species!
Old 28-06-2005, 17:25   #22
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Women have got all the rights and services that they have because they fought for them. If blokes were seriously unhappy with their lot then all they have to do is change it. In the first post it was mentioned that male domestic violence victims are on the increase. I'm not saying that this is acceptable but women have DV services because women publicised the need for those services, got off their backsides and started running those services. If blokes want those sort of rights and services then go and get them. Just stop expecting the women to do it all for you.......

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 17:35   #23
Give, give, give member

Quite agree with Lettie, women's sufferage and rights were hard won, and brought about by women themselves.

The so called p*ssy whipped male whingers haven't the balls or the gumption to attempt to change something they don't like, unlike Mrs Pankhurst and her home girls.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 17:48   #24
God Member

Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy. ~Henry Kissinger

I asked a Burmese why women, after centuries of following their men, now walk ahead. He said there were many unexploded land mines since the war. ~Robert Mueller

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 28-06-2005 at 17:51.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 18:39   #25
I am Banned

mans best weapon against women is the toilet seat

if you seriously think we arnt peeing on it on purpous then you are gravely mistaken
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 22:00   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by the real michael
all it took was a tiny sacrifice from one stupid "suffering get" who decided to throw herself in front of the kings horse, in protest that she was as equal to any man and wanted equal status so now what are you women doing to do eh? mollify every male around? ... you actually think you can outsmart a real man? har har har ... well two x,s never make a y (chromesome) meaning that even if there are a thousand "mummies" around a child, it would never come close to five minutes with his or her real FATHER, for a start, who is most likely to tell the child the truth about the real world instead of filling its head with sick fantasies of a world of equality where decent people can live in peace with the demented...its sssooooooo unholy! im sorry to have to bursts your bubbles ladies but there is only one way you can ever be equal to a man and that is you have to be lucky enough to have been born one... brussells can make as many rules and pass as many laws as they like, but i have it from the highest authority, that in every known universe that contains a life force there is a perfectly natural pecking order whether it be an "evolutionary order" or an "intelligent order" ....this order to the chaos on this island earth has been totally buggered up by your strife for equality which can never be, allow me to be the first to say that war is inevitable, world war... for which no-one in this country is prepared for should it suddenly loom before the appropiate time...too busy embracing sodom and building giant monuments to adulterers while paying for the privelidge of getting your own money from the banks! ...... still lets see what womenkind can do first, ...like the first eve who tempted adam ...or the slut salome who had john the baptists head cut off, to the modern day 6 kid 7 father unmarried trollops who use the children as weapons in order to extract money from all concerned, this planet is one big asylum like a home without a father in it...constant bickering...a blatant disregard for laws and the delusion that we are all equal... well god made man in his image, not woman, so get over it and go and make a brew or summat.......
p.s.margaret thatcher couldnt even be equal after fighting with some argy schoolies and having that operation you can have done at private hospital....whatsit called... oh yeah...a strappadictomy! blessed are the ignorant, for they shall inherit large bills.....
I just want to check.......the real michael have you taken your medication?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 22:31   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
mans best weapon against women is the toilet seat

if you seriously think we arnt peeing on it on purpous then you are gravely mistaken

BAS****S !!

If you don't think we keep you for hours from the pub while we get ready you are sadly mistaken lol!
Old 29-06-2005, 06:26   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiango
This has always been something that bothered me. A while ago, women had no rights, and had to start all this bra-burning, protesting to get rights, and slowly but surely, the rights came to women one-by-one. The high numbers of female unemployment decreased adn work rights were given, enabling them to apply and get any job that a man does. Just because women were women doesn't mean they shouldn't get a job. The number of housewives reporting crimes against her at the home has decreased, and general manners towards women has majorly increased (opening doors, sitting them first at a table, etc).

But now, it seems, that men seem to be the minority. All a woman has to do is say that "this guy at work" has been eyeing her for the last month/week/year, and was making rude gestures towards her involving sexually explicit movements. Guaranteed that the woman will be believed before the man, even if the man is innocent. It is very hard for a man to prove the innocence as women take looking at their rear as sexual harrassment nowadays (it's a compliment!).

The number of male house"wives" has increased with the number of "independant" women around who would rather work than look after the kids (this is their choice, and i'm not saying they shouldn't have that choice). But, with this increased number of male house"wives", the number of male beatings from their spouse/significant other at home has also increased. Men are being bullied more than women now, and the perpetrators are women, and men still stuck in the macho "men work, women mind the children" egos.

A man will rarely, if even at all, win a case of sexual harrassment from a woman. It seems that women have an upper hand over men. They seems to have more rights, maybe not specifically speaking more legal rights, but more power anyway.

If a couple are married and have kids, and they split up, the mother has instant custody over the child. The father has to fight for custody. If the mother gets the child, the father has to pay the mother, but not vica-versa. People say that a child needs it's mother more: bull! The child needs both parents, but either will do should push come to shove (also depending on how the mother/father treated the child).

So, in your opinion, do women seem to have more rights than men?

(Oh, and before anyone thinks it, i'm not been chauvenistic, i just thought it would make a good discussion.)
thats something to ponder on the open road today.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2005, 08:29   #29
Resident Waffler

All this talk of equality is all very well but men and women are different and always will be. We are physically different and we should accept that and think of it as an assett. Having equal opportunities is good and getting paid the same wage for the same work wasn't before time though. It seems unbelievable now that women would work alongside men doing exactly the same but get paid less for it. In some cases women are better at some things than men too. lol I remember a weedy little specimen of manhood who couldn't open the strongroom door at the bank because it was too heavy for him!

I know what you are trying to say pixie but it's almost impossible to put into words isn't it? A father's relationship with a child begins at birth. A mother's relationship starts long before then, there's a physical bond. For 9 months that baby is a part of you. It doesn't mean that the father loves his child any less, it's just this something about having carried something which developed from a tiny imperceptible speck into an individual human being, having felt all the little flutterings which develop into wrigglings and kickings. Even before birth my children had personalities, the kicker, the wriggler, the quiet peaceful sqiggly one. The relationship is already developing as the baby develops.

I do think some women have gone a bit OTT though and the balance has swung too far. A lot of male chivalry and gallantry has been lost as a consequence. I don't think we'll ever get that back and it's a shame. I'm probably very old-fashioned but I'd prefer a world where the hubby goes out to work the wife stays home and looks after the house and children. He opens doors for her and holds the chair in a restaurant, takes her coat etc etc. Life was gentler and sweeter then.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 29-06-2005 at 08:31.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2005, 15:50   #30
Resting in peace

Can't agree about women staying at home, Willow. I would hate to have to ask any man for everything I needed/wanted. I do like to have my independence and also to be able to contribute to our joint needs/wants. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying my round in the pub if I'd had to ask David for the money to do it!

There was the downside, too. When there was little employment for married women, families suffered dreadfully from being on the poverty line. There was little enough money for anything, let alone entertainment, thus families had six or more children (it was the only fun they could get). Two wages would have made a lot of difference - even though the wife's would probably have been half the husband's.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..