Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2010, 16:45   #1

Shadow Cabinet Elections..

Does David Milliband's decision not to stand for a Shadow Cabinet post make sense or show sour grapes?...please discuss.
Old 29-09-2010, 16:50   #2
God Member

Re: Shadow Cabinet Elections..

Can't see it makes any difference to the man in the street. He will no doubt put his name forward in about 4 years time
Old 29-09-2010, 17:03   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
Does David Milliband's decision not to stand for a Shadow Cabinet post make sense or show sour grapes?...please discuss.
ONLY, if you will, I want help from the lecturer before I do my homework.

For example, should they have come to an amicable agreement and the dominant brother put himself forward?

Or should they both have stood down rather than cause a family rift?

Without proper guidance from one such as you, how could we guess?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 17:47   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Can't see it makes any difference to the man in the street. He will no doubt put his name forward in about 4 years time
Makes no difference to me If he wants to sit at the back.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 17:48   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as ya never seem to commit n opinion when ya start off on one, why should i or anyone comment ? or are ya descended from the "Spanish Inquisition"? i'm only asking don't sue please.
Old 29-09-2010, 17:55   #6
Resting in Peace

Think that decision was the worst kept secret ever, if that is what he thought of front line politics why did he want the top job in the first place, for what its worth I actually think he would have been a better bet for Labour in the long run, but who am I to rain on their parade
Old 29-09-2010, 18:10   #7
JCB

If both brothers had been in the Shadow Cabinet every word spoken by them , every gesture they made , every word written etc. would have been scrutinised by the Press for signs of splits , family quarrels , lack of brotherly love etc.

It would have been a diversion from what the Labour Party will try to achieve , and boring nonsense for the electorate .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 18:16   #8

Unhappy Re: Shadow Cabinet Elections..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
If both brothers had been in the Shadow Cabinet every word spoken by them , every gesture they made , every word written etc. would have been scrutinised by the Press for signs of splits , family quarrels , lack of brotherly love etc.

It would have been a diversion from what the Labour Party will try to achieve , and boring nonsense for the electorate .
Yes, that makes everything so much clearer, thank you.
Old 29-09-2010, 18:21   #9
Senior Member+

Young Ed will always be looking over his shoulder into the dark shadows because he knows in there waits BIG BROTHER. If darkness should fall on his leadership, he knows BIG BROTHER will be able to come out of the shadows! Will our Ed ever sleep easy?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 18:22   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

Its likely to be even worse if brother dear is on the back benches, there's the old say better to have them in the tent P****** out, than outside the tent P****** in
Old 29-09-2010, 18:27   #11
Senior Member+

And just remember, whatever happens to the Labour party over the next 4 years-it won't be BIG BROTHERS fault. He could become the parties saviour when all is lost. No it wasn't sour grapes( or brotherly love ) -it was a wise POLITICAL move!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 18:28   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
A reasonable question - but what is your opinion? A discussion is only valid if all parties to that discussion state their personal view on the subject of the discussion!
Old 29-09-2010, 18:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
A reasonable question - but what is your opinion? A discussion is only valid if all parties to that discussion state their personal view on the subject of the discussion!

I just think it is sour grapes. He could have put his ideas forward stronger in shadow cabinet, but it's his choice. I don't think it was the right one though.

Is Less happy now i've voiced my opinion???
Old 29-09-2010, 19:04   #14
Resting in Peace

I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

Being in the shadow cabinet would have given him the perfect excuse for not spending much time in South Shields.

Who would give that up lightly?Not many I suggest.
NO - Something is surely afoot.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 19:07   #15

Smile Re: Shadow Cabinet Elections..

Quote:
I just think it is sour grapes. He could have put his ideas forward stronger in shadow cabinet, but it's his choice. I don't think it was the right one though.

Is Less happy now i've voiced my opinion???
So much easier for the rest of us now we have your wise base to work from than, Discuss, isn't it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..