Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 22:17   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: She's trying - very

There are things I still can't fully fathom too West Ender so I dread to think what the next 10 years or so may bring. You only need to look back 10 - 20 years to see how much things have changed in such a short time. I remember being excited by an electric typewriter which could lift the text back up off the page if I made a mistake.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2006, 22:34   #17
white rabbits

things go in one of my ears and out the other,, i cant seem to grasp things these days.. but when i was a kid at school i was one of the brighter ones,,,,
i think some of my brain cells have aged too quickly
Old 12-12-2006, 23:52   #18
God Member

Willow, I don't know how able or mobile the lady is but Acc & Ross run an excellent free course called 'computing for the Terrified'. It really does teach the basics, from literally being able to turn the pc on, to eventually e-mailing. It's a very short course (6 weeks I think) but it will help her gain confidence with the pc. There is a good number of older folk that attend these courses, she wouldn't feel out of place.
Old 13-12-2006, 00:01   #19
God Member

Good on her Willow. My mum used to have a go at learning new stuff but gave up when she got older. Said it was all to new fangled for her and wouldnt learn how to use the microwave!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 06:53   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Willow, I don't know how able or mobile the lady is but Acc & Ross run an excellent free course called 'computing for the Terrified'. It really does teach the basics, from literally being able to turn the pc on, to eventually e-mailing. It's a very short course (6 weeks I think) but it will help her gain confidence with the pc. There is a good number of older folk that attend these courses, she wouldn't feel out of place.
IIRC Age Concern do somethinmg similar.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 14:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
That's set me thinking (you'd better duck).

My mum, who died 6 years ago aged 91, had never touched a computer in her life. She knew what they were and she was used to seeing lots of them in my house, in various states of assembly as my husband was a hardware/software engineer, but she didn't really appreciate what they were for. In 30 or 40 years there will be very few 80 and 90 year olds who can't use a computer and they will be as commonplace as TV sets are today.

That leads me to think of her mother, my grandmother, who was born in 1870. She died in 1924 so I doubt she had even operated a wireless set on her own and my great-grandmother, born in 1843, wouldn't have understood the concept of electricity and she never saw a "horseless carriage". So when I'm 91 or, even more relevant, when you are 91 what on Earth will be around that we haven't a clue about? It's a staggering thought.

Mind you, I can operate a computer and drive a horseless carriage but I still have trouble setting our video recorder.
It just goes to show,females are totally hopeless when it comes to video recorders,& five year old's are smart-asses
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 19:31   #22

Keeps those brain cells active.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 19:40   #23
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Boy View Post
It just goes to show,females are totally hopeless when it comes to video recorders,& five year old's are smart-asses

Video recorders are the works of Satan - especially when you've lost the instructions, years ago.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..