Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 11:11   #1
Resident Waffler

She's trying - very

I have an elderly friend in her 80s who recently decided it was time she aquired one of these newfangled computer things and learned how to access the "interweb". She phoned me to announce that she wanted to send me an email so could she have my email "number". I told her it was "email address" and she said "you learn a little something every day. Don't you?" So I told her my email address and off she went happily repeating it to herself.

Then she phoned me to tell me that she'd written the "email letter" and was about to send it. I said I looked forward to reading it. I gave it about an hour and checked my in-box - no sign of anything from her. So phoned and asked if she'd sent it. No, she hadn't. She was still trying to "pin one of those paper clips" onto it. I explained to her how to send an attachment and thought wow she's being very ambitious for a first email.

Then I had to go and do a few jobs so it was a while before came back to the PC - still no email from her. I phoned again and asked if she needed any more help. We discovered that she hadn't clicked "send". She now assured me that everything was under control and I awaited the email with baited breath.

Then - there it was in my in box! My friend's first ever email! I opened it. It said "Good this isn't it?" I opened the attachment. It was a word document containing a meticulously typed letter!!!! I somehow think she hasn't quite got the hang of email yet.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2006, 11:58   #2
God Member

Re: She's trying - very

Bless!

Still I know your pain, my neighbours in their 80s use a PC and I 'support' them. As in every couple of months I rebuild it as hes downloaded a virus/removed an important file, deinstalled/reinstalled the printer/scanner at least a dozen times, messed up teh firewall, updated something that he shouldn't, installed new wireless drivers or god knows what else.

Still, I'm working on training Siobhan to do it. She already worked out how to change the CD in her Hifi system in her bedroom and press play to get the new music (Shes 19 months old if anyone doesn't know )

We were playing the teletubbies game on CBeebies the other day as well, using left/right key although she hadn't worked out how to avoid stuff

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:00   #3
Resident Waffler

She's such a love Ian and she's determined to master this 'contraption' but I forsee a lot more phone calls coming.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:12   #4
God Member

Oh yes, There is one thing I can recommend though, if she is on broadband, install a VNC setup on her PC, that way you can 'control it from your house and even 'show her' how to do something remotely.

(Make sure its setup so its a very secure password and don't leave it running all the time, have an icon she can click to start it up)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:29   #5
I am Banned

silvermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:37   #6
Senior Member+

Awwwwww bless.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:44   #7
God Member

Perhaps some people need to know it's not actually compulsory to read or even reply to a thread on this forum
Old 12-12-2006, 13:02   #8
God Member

Its sweet that they try to learn new things at their age. As winter is upon us they might not be able to get out often so with a small computer they can keep in touchas well as find things to do to keep them occupied.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 13:24   #9
God Member

Good for Her Willow

It will be nice for her when she gets used to it. Maybe she could even do her shopping on-line......this is really helpful in cold weather.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 13:28   #10
Senior Member+

I think its excellent that at that age they try to keep up with the modern world. Just think, this lady would have been brought up without a tv or telephone.... my how her world is evolving.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 15:41   #11
Give, give, give member

Go girl.

Well done her.

I'm still amazed I'm mastering it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 16:05   #12
Resident Waffler

I'm still learning. It's kinda scary how clever she thinks I am

Old 12-12-2006, 16:23   #13
I am Band

Exclamation Re: She's trying - very

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
...every couple of months I rebuild it as hes downloaded a virus...
Advise your neighbour to stay away from virus riddled sites like "Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy.Com". Staggeringman had to learn the hard way, when he couldn't resist taking a peek & was infected by an electronic version of ebola virus, which ate all the internals of his computer.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 17:49   #14
Accrington Web Mascot

It's good to hear that she's giving it a go and it's even better that she's got an expert on hand to guide her!

I just wonder what amazing skill I'll be trying to master in 60 years.............I hope my new hip arrives before I get my hoverboard for Chrimbo off the grandkids!!!!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 20:38   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

That's set me thinking (you'd better duck).

My mum, who died 6 years ago aged 91, had never touched a computer in her life. She knew what they were and she was used to seeing lots of them in my house, in various states of assembly as my husband was a hardware/software engineer, but she didn't really appreciate what they were for. In 30 or 40 years there will be very few 80 and 90 year olds who can't use a computer and they will be as commonplace as TV sets are today.

That leads me to think of her mother, my grandmother, who was born in 1870. She died in 1924 so I doubt she had even operated a wireless set on her own and my great-grandmother, born in 1843, wouldn't have understood the concept of electricity and she never saw a "horseless carriage". So when I'm 91 or, even more relevant, when you are 91 what on Earth will be around that we haven't a clue about? It's a staggering thought.

Mind you, I can operate a computer and drive a horseless carriage but I still have trouble setting our video recorder.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..