Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should the tax payer fund bodies who practice positive discrimination?
Yes, taxes should fund such groups. 0 0%
No, taxes shouldn't fund such groups. 19 95.00%
I'm unsure. 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2011, 13:42   #1
Give, give, give member

Should taxes fund positive discrimination?

Since Cllr. Moss kindly brought the matter to our attention in another thread, when H.B.C. consulted the 'Hyndburn Black & Ethnic Minority Forum' over a recent proposal to relocate an advice centre.

I think it would be interesting to gauge public, rather than political reaction on this issue.

As an example of how tax payers' money is being used to fund organisations who practice positive discrimination, we have the Lancashire Wide Network for Minority Women. An organisation based in Accrington, and funded by Lancashire County Council.

Lancashire Wide Network for Minority Ethnic Women

In their newsletter they openly state on page eight that courses are only available to 'B.M.E. (Black & Minority Ethnic) ladies only'.

http://www.lwnmew.org.uk/minority_et...n/issue_79.pdf

So, the poll question is...

Should tax payers' money be used to fund organisations that 'promote positive discrimination', and aren't accessible to all?

The poll vote shall be secret.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2011, 13:52   #2
Common Sense Member

Re: Should taxes fund positive discrimination?

I'll openly say no to council-backed resources, and the example you gave where a facility is ONLY available for people of a certain gender or ethic background should not be allowed.

The Scaitcliffe Centre, as discussed in another thread, is open to all.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Neil; 20-10-2011 at 07:46. Reason: removed phone number
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 13:53   #3
Resting in Peace

That's a very interesting question Rindi, we are often told that we have to accept other cultures as we are now a multicultural society, although its not as you'd notice, how many organisation have racial connotation with them i.e. Black and Asian Police officers association, if there were to be a "White" police officers association all hell would break loose on the front page of the Guardian and Independent

Another thing which gets my goat is the fact administrations like HBC have to produce leaflets in I don't know how many languages, if I decide to go and live in Spain (another member of the EU) do I get leaflets, written in English, telling me the things I want to know. do I heck as like, I would have to pay for an interpreter to help me out, and if I couldn't afford one, tough
Old 15-10-2011, 14:11   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The Scaitcliffe Centre, as discussed in another thread, is open to all.

No one's saying otherwise.

It's only relevant because, as it says in the council's offical download on the proposal, H.B.C. 'consulted the Hyndburn BME (Black & Minority Ethnic) Forum', who 'offered the proposal it's full support'.

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...e_Services.pdf

No mention is given of any other organisations being consulted on this proposal, or if there was any other support from any other community groups.

Last edited by Neil; 20-10-2011 at 07:46. Reason: removed phone number
Old 15-10-2011, 14:14   #5
Give, give, give member

Anyway, that's really not what this poll is about.

It's about the tax payer funding organisations who practice positive discrimination, and whether that's right, or wrong.

Old 15-10-2011, 14:40   #6
God Member

no !!!
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 14:42   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
no !!!

sorry could you be a little more clear please your answer seems a little vague

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 14:44   #8
God Member

well.....you know i don't like to be noticed
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 15:13   #9
God Member

As a woman living in a country that is not my country of origin i am effectively in a minority, but i get no special treatment here. No language courses, coffee mornings, help in finding work or building my confidence. From what I can see of the Lancs. network for Ethnic Minority Women -most of the courses and activities they offer would be of interest to anyone indescriminately.

Free computer courses would be welcomed by all people of all ages I imagine -and as they have LCC funding they should be available to all residents of the county... the same applies to all the other courses and activities on offer.

I've been living outside the UK for nearly 25 yrs now and what i don't get is the way you have to use positive discrimination over there nowadays, in order to show that you are not discriminating against someone. It's a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

People do like to be lumped together in groups for some reason (safety in numbers?) -but at the end of the day we are all individuals and are all citizens wherever we live. I don't expect to be treated differently to anyone else, and treat all those who cross my path in the same way - that is the basis of non-discriminatory behaviour -it's not that hard to achieve.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 15-10-2011 at 15:15. Reason: spelling
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 17:48   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
From what I can see of the Lancs. network for Ethnic Minority Women -most of the courses and activities they offer would be of interest to anyone indescriminately.

There would probably be nothing at all to stop you turning up at one of these events, but you might find that it was presented in a language other than English.

Maybe it would be a very good idea to offer these activities to ethnic minority women.......and present them in English. It would be a way of getting these women to learn the language, and have other local women there so that a degree of integration might be effected too.
A change of name would be in order ......Lancashire Women's Network sounds just fine to me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 18:02   #11
Senior Member+

Nope!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 21:01   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
......A change of name would be in order ......Lancashire Women's Network sounds just fine to me.
Is that not sexist
Old 15-10-2011, 21:09   #13
Beacon of light

well, Neil....it definitely isn't racist

It was referring to women's activities, so I guess if you like needlework, crochet, cooking, making macrame plantpot holders, you could be designated an 'honorary woman' just so that you could be included.

I don't much like the sound of Lancashire People's Network, it sounds like the little brother to Chairman Mao's set up!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 22:44   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am very in touch with my feminine side, I cry at sad films and all that stuff
Old 16-10-2011, 06:11   #15
Senior Member+

my feelings on this are very simple, any government/council funded activities or resources should be available to ALL members of the community regardless of age,creed,coulour or sex. During these times of troubles and struggles everyone is in need of help in some way and no single group needs it more or less than any other.Funding should therefore be used wisely and according to the needs of the WHOLE community.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..