Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2011, 04:20   #1
God Member

Never thought I'd live to see it ....

Well folks, I think that The Revolution has started ... Though where it started (and how it will play out), I don't really know. Egypt, maybe? Libya? Maybe it is the inevitable result of social networking. But, can you sense it? ... all over the world in tens of countries, and hundreds of cities?People are tired of getting po'd in private, and are taking their protests to the streeet. I do get the sense that history will look at what is happening now as the beginning of real change. Many of the concerns expressed on this forum, particularly those concerning the response of polititcians, once elected, are being expressed by protesters around the world ... check out what one British Columbian thinks: Your Take: Occupy Canada as the beginning of positive change - Your Community ... A fair bit of what he is saying I have read in many posts on here. Particularly the bits about politicians. In posts about Britain's membership in the EU, "the lack of accountability and visibility of our elected officials" is a theme that occurs regularly.

It's not impossible that something profoundly important is starting ...

If someone had told me 20 yrs ago that I would live to see a black man in the White House, I would have said: "Get the (expletive deleted) outa here. And sell me some of that stuff you are smoking."

I don't know if this is "It" ... but I do see it as something positive that has started and cannot be stopped ... delayed, maybe ... postponed, perhaps ... but not stopped.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-10-2011, 07:23   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Never thought I'd live to see it ....

New technologies have empowered people worldwide, and that can only be a good thing.

You can easily ignore a lone voice.

It's much harder to do that when it's a thousand voiced, united in their anger.

Up the revolution!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 07:54   #3
God Member

Evolution isn't confined to biological systems.
Conciousness also evolves.
Darwin theorised that evolution took place slowly and gradually, but 'evolutionary leaps' are now being discovered in earth's geological past.

Darwin's gradualist theory of evolution not supported by geological history, scientist concludes

We are experiencing an evolutionary leap in conciousness.
Increased awareness causes populations to revolt against injustice.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 08:15   #4
Resting in Peace

The only thing with protest for change is it usually ends up in wide spread violence, as was depicted over the weekend in Rome of all places, very surprised it didn't happen in London as well
Old 17-10-2011, 11:44   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only thing with protest for change is it usually ends up in wide spread violence, as was depicted over the weekend in Rome of all places,
It is nothing new in Italy for the police to react extremely strongly against protestors...

If you have a strong stomach watch the following amateur footage taken at the G8 protests in Genvoa (Genoa) in 2001. One protestor was killed many more beaten, tortured and raped -in particular a large number of these were students peacefully and legally occupying a school-building....it was a disgrace and I don't know how much of this has ever been mentioned outside the country.

Mr. Berlusconi is the owner of all the major private TV channels and as PM has a great deal of say in what the national network puts out too...
Until recently there was access to Current TV as a diverse source of current affairs, political and environmental documentaries on SKY but he also put paid to that being shown as it got too close to him and his dealings.

There is so much more freedom of speech and of the press in the UK -in this respect the British people are lucky WRT many others in the world.

You don't need to understand Italian ...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 17-10-2011 at 11:46. Reason: Post-script...
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 12:37   #6
God Member

Quote:
The only thing with protest for change is it usually ends up in wide spread violence, as was depicted over the weekend in Rome of all places, very surprised it didn't happen in London as well
Of course there will be violence, and much of it will come from the police and other security forces ... look what's happening in Syria. But, if you'll accept the analogy, you can't stop the football season just 'cause some assholes go to the games just to make trouble.

And this one seems different .... it is different. There doesn't seem to be any central leadership, and if one puts itself forward it should be told in no uncertain terms to go forth and multiply. Most other revolutions I can think of carry the seeds of their eventual failure in a centralized leadership and strict point-by-point manifesto which will repeat, in some cases even amplify the mistakes of the system they overthrow.
Old 17-10-2011, 13:07   #7
God Member

Quote:
I don't think this buisness in London is 'owt to shout about. I walked past St Pauls earlier on and got chatting to some of these characters who have rigged up tents out the front. The impression I got is they're just a bunch of young middle class wastrels who, because mummy and daddy have got a bit of belt tightening to do, are no longer prepared to finance their jaunts to Thailand & Australia. One of 'em got most upset when I told him there was plenty of jobs going if he was only prepared to look; he replied he'd got a degree in Leisure Studies & Dog Walking and to do any 'owd job would be a waste of his talents.

Enough said.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 17:58   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I don't think this business in London is 'ought to shout about. I walked past St Paul's earlier on and got chatting to some of these characters who have rigged up tents out the front. The impression I got is they're just a bunch of young middle class wastrels who, because mummy and daddy have got a bit of belt tightening to do, are no longer prepared to finance their jaunts to Thailand & Australia. One of 'em got most upset when I told him there was plenty of jobs going if he was only prepared to look; he replied he'd got a degree in Leisure Studies & Dog Walking and to do any 'old job would be a waste of his talents.

Enough said.
Um wonder why the oik went to university in the first place, but at least rent a mob didn't make an appearance
Old 17-10-2011, 17:58   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I don't think this buisness in London is 'owt to shout about. I walked past St Pauls earlier on and got chatting to some of these characters who have rigged up tents out the front. The impression I got is they're just a bunch of young middle class wastrels who, because mummy and daddy have got a bit of belt tightening to do, are no longer prepared to finance their jaunts to Thailand & Australia. One of 'em got most upset when I told him there was plenty of jobs going if he was only prepared to look; he replied he'd got a degree in Leisure Studies & Dog Walking and to do any 'owd job would be a waste of his talents.

Enough said.
Well there we have it ... in a nutshell ... nothing to worry about then is there. Don't worry T, the revolution will no doubt protect your right to talk through your ass whenever the spirit moves you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..