Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2006, 00:21   #1
Give, give, give member

Show me yours.

I use Google as a quick spell check. Put in any old gush and it comes back with 'did you mean...,' and I usually do.

I wanted to know how to spell Culpeper, when replying to LankYorkYankee in a post. Being a nosey git, I ended up seeing that his town had a website. I of course had to have a little look. I found it fascinating to see where a member I see on here most days, actually lives.

I thought it would be nice if we all linked a website showing where we live.

There isn't a comprehensive one of Oswaldtwistle, but this site run by one of our members at Accy Web, has some great photographs of Ossy, so I'll start.

You might even spot a young Garinda, with other cast members of the school play, in a freezing cold playground at Moor End Primary School circa 1975.

Life and times of Oswaldtwistle @ Fotopic.Net

Now please show me your's.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2006, 00:43   #2
God Member

Re: Show me yours.

There isnt one for where i live rindy
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2006, 00:47   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
There isnt one for where i live rindy
There is this one.

Knowhere: Rising Bridge, Lancashire, Local Heroes, Famous Residents

Who is Rhodes Boyson though?

Old 28-10-2006, 00:59   #4
God Member

Rhodes Boyson: Information from Answers.com
Old 28-10-2006, 01:02   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
I thought that was the chap. Big bushy sideburns, and used to be on the box all the time talking about education under Thatcher.

Did he come from Rising Bridge?

Old 28-10-2006, 01:14   #6
God Member

hes got some connection with the school and no rindy i cant remember what it is!
Old 28-10-2006, 01:18   #7
Give, give, give member

As lots of us will live in the same areas, please feel free to link any site that will give us an insight to where you live, or what it's like to live there.

Old 28-10-2006, 02:00   #8
Yank in King Art's Court!

Must admit, I was cautious of looking at this thread till Garinda PMed me about it. The town of Culpeper has a pretty nice site but as we are in the County of Culpeper (~8 miles out of town) thought I'd share that website. However, it kinda stunk. Here is a link to our tourism site: http://www.visitculpeperva.com/.

We are surrounded by some really neat history. My favorite is in the town near the rail tracks. There is a spot where Col. George Custer (of Custer's Last Stand), got his horse shot out from under him while trying to stop a reb train from leaving town. Another neat fact: Custer had like 13 horses shot out from under him during the Civil War but he was never wounded!

Enjoy studying up on Culpeper!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 18:28   #9

Thanks for the link, garinda. A lot of my relatives are buried in the churchyard at Immanuel. I love photographs - especially the old ones.

By the way, Brian, Custer thought he led a charmed life. Consequently, he appeared to have no fear for his personal safety whatsoever. But he caused the deaths of many a good soldier. Of course, that all came to a screeching halt when he encountered the Sioux and Cheyenne Nations at the Little Bighorn. What I love about that place is the rodeo arena the Crow Nation erected there within view of the battle site. Custer got a little too uppity on that one. But the Indians are still there, riding their horses. The Crow Nation Fair is a MUST if you are visiting that area in August.

Last edited by bullseyebarb; 29-10-2006 at 18:35. Reason: add a word
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 22:18   #10
God Member

GREAT HARWOOD. Almost all there is to know about Great Harwood

there's a link to my current home town

Harrogate.com in Yorkshire England

and this is where I grew up...no jokes about coming from yorkshire please

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 05:28   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
no jokes about coming from yorkshire please
We have done them all before Lesley so no need
Old 30-10-2006, 07:20   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
Thanks for the link, garinda. A lot of my relatives are buried in the churchyard at Immanuel. I love photographs - especially the old ones.

By the way, Brian, Custer thought he led a charmed life. Consequently, he appeared to have no fear for his personal safety whatsoever. But he caused the deaths of many a good soldier. Of course, that all came to a screeching halt when he encountered the Sioux and Cheyenne Nations at the Little Bighorn. What I love about that place is the rodeo arena the Crow Nation erected there within view of the battle site. Custer got a little too uppity on that one. But the Indians are still there, riding their horses. The Crow Nation Fair is a MUST if you are visiting that area in August.
Come on barb. You've seen mine, now show me your's.

I've never been to Georgia, but have read lots of books set there, and I'd love to visit Savannah. Where abouts do you live in Georgia?

By the way Immanuel is still a place of burials, and is one of the few remaining places where you can purchase a plot with great views over the moors.

Old 30-10-2006, 11:07   #13
Senior Member+

An interesting thread Rindy.

I found this Punto Info - Welcome - Welcome to Puntoinfo an interesting site all about Tenerife.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 11:12   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
An interesting thread Rindy.

I found this Punto Info - Welcome - Welcome to Puntoinfo an interesting site all about Tenerife.
Thanks June. We'll be able to picture where you are now, as well as still be jealous because you're in the warmth.

Hardly a cultural desert though is it? Had a look at yout museums and galleries, they look very good.

Old 30-10-2006, 11:31   #15
Senior Member+

I find that most people think of sun, sand and lagerlouts when Tenerife is mentioned but there's lots of other things to do. I love the scenery, especially the volcano. It's so silent up there that it gives you goose bumps.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..