Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2008, 14:08   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Silent Night

Local authorities have had the power since 2003 to fine people a minimum of £100 who make a noise between 11:00pm and 6:00am (I think it was) and it was reported on the Jeremy Vine show this morning that Portsmouth is the first LA to invoke those powers.

The minimum noise level is 34 decibels or as the Jeremy Vine programme offered, the noise from a ticking clock. The noise level is not that at source but the level that is heard next door.

For some people a noise just on the edge of conscious hearing can be most annoying and could prevent someone from dropping off or even wake them. Especially the heavy boom, boom, boom of a modern pop record, which quietly pervades the whole area without actually being too loud. On the other hand much louder noises do not bother some people.

So here we have yet another step towards the 1984 society.
Old 30-06-2008, 16:15   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Silent Night

I can't quite decided if you are for or against noisy neighbours there.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 16:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I can't quite decided if you are for or against noisy neighbours there.
willow i think he is against, or he is just stating a fact about how loud the nose should be, before some one can complain.
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 16:37   #4
Resting in Peace

Hell I'm going to have to be careful as I've been told I snore for England
Old 30-06-2008, 16:41   #5

jaysay don't tell us you snore at 32 decibels? in that case I'm glad i don't live next door to you lol
Old 30-06-2008, 16:42   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Silent Night

I’m not against noisy neighbours during normal hours. Say about 8:00am to about 11:00pm. Even though I rarely get up before 10:00am. I’m a good sleeper with noise all around me. Any sailor on a warship quickly learns to ignore noises and get to sleep at the drop of a hat, because a ship never sleeps, except in dry dock. In fact being responsible for various bits of equipment like radar etc I was awake before being called if the radar aerial stopped rotating for some reason. I could ‘hear’ the missing noise. If that makes sense? Electricians would “KNOW” if a ship’s power generator suddenly stopped.

But for me people can make as much noise as they like during the day, although the boom, boom music can be a bit wearing at times, especially in summer when most of my windows are open. If it gets too much my stereo bangs out things like military marches, traditional jazz and big bands to drown it out. It’s amazing how quickly the boom, boom music gets turned down so I turn mine down too in appreciation. And we live in harmony.

Night time is a different matter though and people should think of their neighbours.

Sadly in today’s me, me, me, me, me, me, me society, noisy neighbours are becoming a problem for some.
Old 30-06-2008, 16:56   #7

jambutty i agree with you after a certain time they should turn the music down, i fell sorry for the person that as to live next door to all that so i must be a lucky one i just a nose neighbour.
Old 30-06-2008, 17:28   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam1 View Post
jaysay don't tell us you snore at 32 decibels? in that case I'm glad i don't live next door to you lol
Well I don't know pam I'm always asleep
Old 30-06-2008, 18:06   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Electricians would “KNOW” if a ship’s power generator suddenly stopped.
I can tell the same thing here, the lights go out
Old 30-06-2008, 18:11   #10

Its true though about the sound. We have a clock in our bedroom and usually it ticks 3 times for 3 seconds then doesnt for 3. The other night it was ticking twice then not for 4. I knew it was wrong and it took me ages to get to sleep, as my brain kept timing it for the missing tick. Stupid thing but there you go. Its now back to normal....Spooky
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 21:40   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I can tell the same thing here, the lights go out
Not necessarily!

A ship has several generators. Some supplying the 440v 3 phase ring main. Some supplying the 230v single phase ring main. Some supplying the 110v 60Hz for some radar sets. Some supplying 60v 100Hz for other equipment.
Old 30-06-2008, 21:48   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

When I lived in Blackpool during the war (that’s WWII not the Boer war) our house was the end one of a terraced row that backed onto the main railway line out of Blackpool. If there had been a window in the gable end I could have looked down on the railway.

Trains would come and go all night long and being the LMS they were always on time. I and everyone else slept through it all. But if one train didn’t arrive on time I and many other people would wake up and couldn’t get back to sleep until the next scheduled train came past.
Old 30-06-2008, 21:49   #13
Loz

It's difficult because different people have different tolerance levels.
Frank(my fiance) can sleep through anything but for me the slightest noise wakes me!
I'm not bothered during the day, i like my music loud too and me and my neighbours never have a problem but at night i always turn it down and it's annoying when you can hear your neighbours music/telly etc.. especially when you are trying to sleep.
Old 30-06-2008, 21:49   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

had a real noisey git about 3 yrs ago, coming home in car window open, radio full blast n parking right under our bedroom window then sitting in car fer 5/10 mins listening to his music, i decided to put a letter through his door which was not very pleasant, he never did it since. hey it aint a kid, the guys in his 40s.
Old 30-06-2008, 21:59   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Silent Night

For me the worst sort of noise isn’t the loud noise. I can cope with that and just drift off to sleep.

What really gets under the skin is that noise just on the edge of hearing. You know, the sort that you cannot hear if you rustle the bedclothes but lie still and quiet it is just there and you begin to strain to hear it better. Even when you cover your ears you can still hear it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..