Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2008, 20:43   #1

13yr old boy falls

Apprently broke his legs after TRESSPASSING on the old commercial building. What a shame eh.
Old 25-06-2008, 20:46   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: 13yr old boy falls

He'll probably sue somebody.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 20:49   #3

Id sue his family for any damage.

Last edited by Mick; 26-06-2008 at 04:43.
Mr Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 20:53   #4
God Member

Was surprised there wasn't a thread on this Blackburn Road was blocked off and the firebrigade were lowering him down when I was round that way.
Old 25-06-2008, 22:05   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

there but fer the grace of god i say, used to love old buildings when i was a kid, was a great adventure, until one night a kid that used to come down, fell off the roof of the hippodrome into ellison st n was killed. its what lads do alexs.
Old 25-06-2008, 22:08   #6
God Member

Seems as if our Alexs was the most well behaved child ever, hope the lad is okay
Old 26-06-2008, 03:02   #7
God Member

Occupiers Liability Act 1984 creates liability of land owners for trespassers injuries on their land.

If the land is dangerous AND accessible then why shouldn't they be held liable for it? Any dangerous land should either be secured and/or sign posted about the dangers efficiently so that it is clear that trespassers accept liability for their own risks.

If there was a hole in a fence somewhere and your kids climbed into it and broke their legs I'm sure you'd sue over it too, I know I would. If this lads done something similar then I hope he does sue. Why should land owners get away with things like that?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 03:18   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Occupiers Liability Act 1984 creates liability of land owners for trespassers injuries on their land.

If the land is dangerous AND accessible then why shouldn't they be held liable for it? Any dangerous land should either be secured and/or sign posted about the dangers efficiently so that it is clear that trespassers accept liability for their own risks.

If there was a hole in a fence somewhere and your kids climbed into it and broke their legs I'm sure you'd sue over it too, I know I would. If this lads done something similar then I hope he does sue. Why should land owners get away with things like that?
Blazey the kid didn't fall down an open mineshaft , motorways and railway tracks are accessible but that doesn't mean children can play on them , and I'm sure you back up the crazy woman in Preston who is suing a local farmer for one million GBPs because she got tupped by some cows whilst walking across a his field . How long before we hear from some Mother of an ADD/goofy kid suing because of the emotional distress caused by a nettle sting in a local park
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 03:24   #9
God Member

A presentation on this area of law was what got me into university, I find it very interesting. Funnily enough I made a joke similar to the woman who is suing over the cows, except I use the example of pecking chickens.

I wouldn't like to represent her because the Animal Act 1971 comes into play and there is a law saying that an animals behaviour has to be seen as dangerous and predictable for the land owner to be held responsible, and of course the damage has to be sufficient, and being tupped by a cow certainly isn't!

However being able to get into a dangerous building is in my eyes worthy of a strong case, and I would most certainly take up that one

Of course I love a challenge, so bring on the cow case lol.
Old 26-06-2008, 03:29   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
A

Of course I love a challenge, so bring on the cow case lol.
here you go http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-damages.html
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 03:42   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post

Interesting... she may actually win that, though I think 1 million is a little excessive!

At the end of the day, the lawyer with the best story wins I find land law very interesting!

Obviously the cows were likely to be aggressive at the time she got injured, and there isn't any reason why the farmer wouldn't know that... either side could win that case.

I think the boy trespassing case is MUCH more straight forward, unless he actually had to force entry into the premises.

There is never a straight forward yes or no answer to law, if there was then we'd use computers to give us the answer. Generally I think our law is a good one, though there are some patchy areas. Trespass to land is quite interesting though!
Old 26-06-2008, 07:26   #12

"Boys will be boys" so they should suffer the consequences of their actions........not expect a big payout because they have been stupid.
Old 26-06-2008, 07:29   #13

Before I get jumped on (for voicing my opinion) the owners of the properties in a dangerous state should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.........hope that covers my back.
Old 26-06-2008, 08:57   #14

Theres been 4-5 lads and agirl in there all week nicking the scrap copper piping and wire, if they get hurt serves um right
moonshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 09:20   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
Before I get jumped on (for voicing my opinion) the owners of the properties in a dangerous state should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.........hope that covers my back.
i wont jump on yer lynx i agree, that though is a differant arguement,whilst its what kids do in old building,they should not be there. n if ya read some posts on here ya may just see why the countrys in a mess with these stupid sue em laws.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..