Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2008, 09:37   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: 13yr old boy falls

It appears that this day and age there are no such things as accidents, there is always some one to blame. Only this week there was an item on TV news regarding broken roads and footpaths, councils are now unable to do all the repairs to roads and paths because they ar paying out so much compo, its the big catch 22 position. When you consider how much tax motorists pay on road tax and petrol duty our roads are a disgrace and this is not a swipe at the present government its been going on for years, its time money raised on these taxes were ring fenced and has to be spent on road improvements, or is it all part of the big plan to get every body off the roads and on public transport
Old 26-06-2008, 10:22   #17
God Member

There is scaffolding round the building!! Wonder if thirteen year olds can claim they didn't know it was dangerous to climb up it Or maybe to keep them safe it should be taken down every night
Old 26-06-2008, 10:23   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Interesting... she may actually win that, though I think 1 million is a little excessive!

At the end of the day, the lawyer with the best story wins I find land law very interesting!

Obviously the cows were likely to be aggressive at the time she got injured, and there isn't any reason why the farmer wouldn't know that... either side could win that case.

I think the boy trespassing case is MUCH more straight forward, unless he actually had to force entry into the premises.

There is never a straight forward yes or no answer to law, if there was then we'd use computers to give us the answer. Generally I think our law is a good one, though there are some patchy areas. Trespass to land is quite interesting though!
And this is exactly whats wrong with this country, too many lawyers with no common sense.

Lad was somewhere he knew he shouldn't be, his fault

woman with cow, this is a 1/2 tonne 'wild animal'. her stupid fault for being in its home.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 10:24   #19
God Member

(quote jaysay) this is not a swipe at the present government

Can i frame this please!

The law should be cleared up once and for all with these things, I hope the lad is okay, but, he shouldnt have been there, if there are repairs required or measures necessary to keep people out, then the firm should be prosecuted, if the kid broke in, or is there theiving, then he should be prosecuted, injured or not, the firms should also display no trespassing signs just to cover thier backsides.
Old 26-06-2008, 10:51   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
(quote jaysay) this is not a swipe at the present government

Can i frame this please!

The law should be cleared up once and for all with these things, I hope the lad is okay, but, he shouldnt have been there, if there are repairs required or measures necessary to keep people out, then the firm should be prosecuted, if the kid broke in, or is there theiving, then he should be prosecuted, injured or not, the firms should also display no trespassing signs just to cover thier backsides.
Be my guest Derek, but its no use heaping this problem on the present useless lot, it hasn't copped up over night. On the other issue what hppened to the signs that used to be prominent when I was young, in as much as Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted, but I supose that stopping people going and doing exactly as they like is against there Human Rights init
Old 26-06-2008, 11:03   #21
God Member

We have a thread which covered 'trespass' when we discussed the rights and wrongs of those cranks who 'explore' derelict buildings and take photos.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 16:38   #22
God Member

The law is based on common sense, so any lawyer that tried to apply common sense in court would likely lose their case.

You elect the MP's, not the lawyers alone, and then they make the laws, so who is really to blame?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 16:42   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
The law is based on common sense, so any lawyer that tried to apply common sense in court would likely lose their case.

You elect the MP's, not the lawyers alone, and then they make the laws, so who is really to blame?
don't matter who really, suffice it to say ridiculous laws that allow the "Wrong" to be "Right" n the vultures that feed on em should be shot like the carrion they are.
Old 26-06-2008, 16:51   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't matter who really, suffice it to say ridiculous laws that allow the "Wrong" to be "Right" n the vultures that feed on em should be shot like the carrion they are.
Well I think the law is correct in this situation. I go on many walks in the countryside and often it isn't clear which bits are and aren't the footpath, and if a farmer failed to signpost that I was wandering on to land that contained a risk to me and I got injured I'd be pretty annoyed.

It was designed specifically to make things like railways liable for children wandering through holes in fences on to tracks and things, and why shouldn't they be held liable for that damage to someone when they are expected to keep their land as secure as possible to avoid injury to the public?

If it was your child dead on the railway, you would want justice. No amount of money would make it better, but this law is designed to deter land owners from have unsecured dangerous land that may harm people. This law doesn't just protect those who immorally trespass onto land with the intent to commit crime, it never was intended for that, it was intended to protect the majority of trespassers who are innocently trespassing and have been injured.

I wouldn't stand by a law that in practice was ineffective, hence why I stand strongly by this one as it has done a lot of good in the past.
Old 26-06-2008, 17:33   #25
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

The kid shouldnt have been on the building in the first place!
Old 26-06-2008, 17:37   #26
God Member

Everyone says claims like these are wrong until it is themselves or their own kids hurt and then all of a sudden all these left wing ethical whingers suddenly go all capitalist with the pound signs flashing in their eyes.

Everyone wants money, would you really not sue if it was you? I know I could use a few extra grand in my bank account.
Old 26-06-2008, 17:41   #27
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Everyone says claims like these are wrong until it is themselves or their own kids hurt and then all of a sudden all these left wing ethical whingers suddenly go all capitalist with the pound signs flashing in their eyes.

Everyone wants money, would you really not sue if it was you? I know I could use a few extra grand in my bank account.
My son injured himself at school, we could have sued, but we didnt.......
Old 26-06-2008, 17:51   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Why the hell do people see £££££ sins flashing up before their eyes whenever some one is hurt, the kid should not have been on the roof in the first place end off, and its only greedy lawyers filling their boots that todays ethos has emerged, Make somebody pay, and it want cost you a penny, big deal, there a bunch of over paid underwork leeches feeding off others misfortunes
Old 26-06-2008, 17:59   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Why the hell do people see £££££ sins flashing up before their eyes whenever some one is hurt, the kid should not have been on the roof in the first place end off, and its only greedy lawyers filling their boots that todays ethos has emerged, Make somebody pay, and it want cost you a penny, big deal, there a bunch of over paid underwork leeches feeding off others misfortunes
Well actually I'm speaking from the POV that the majority of british citizens earn minimum wage and it is often nowhere near enough to live on, nevermind have money to treat yourself once in a while.

He could sue and pay for an education, or put it in savings and use it to put a deposit on a house in the future. Why not gain from the misery?

I'm not a lawyer yet, so don't treat me like one. I am a student with no money, and yes, money does often motivate me. Does that make me a bad person? How many people do the lottery every week in the hope of winning millions? People NEED money, its not even a case of just WANTING it.
Old 26-06-2008, 18:03   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
My son injured himself at school, we could have sued, but we didnt.......
I once injured myself at school, but there is apparently often a difficulty of proving injuries at school. I feel down a full flight of wet steps that didn't have a caution sign.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..