Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 19:58   #226
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: "Silly Cow" Clr Britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The NHS covers dental care and in some cases eye care. The US system, that is extra.
It would cover dental care if the Government had not killed the idea off.

You gave figures for the US private healthcare costs but did not for the state system. You need to add both figures together for a true representation.
Old 02-03-2008, 22:10   #227
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I went to RBH for a cat scan appointment at 9.15am. I was the first appointment. I was there at 9.05am. I was seen at 9.30am. I was the first appointment and they started the day off 15 minutes late.
That's very good for them and you. A workmate last week had an appointment for 2.15pm and was seen at 5.45pm, he did mention that the majority of patients who where in the waiting room with him where non British, asians and eastern europeans to be exact, no surprise there then. That is why I will never vote Labour in a General Election ever again, they have opened our borders to far too many immigrants who as I've said before are bleeding the Health Service to death. It does make me wonder if we had private health schemes would this go some way to stop the influx?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 22:16   #228
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
It does make me wonder if we had private health schemes would this go some way to stop the influx?
don't talk crap baggy,we can't afford it,they can.
Old 02-03-2008, 22:36   #229

Quote:
That's very good for them and you. A workmate last week had an appointment for 2.15pm and was seen at 5.45pm, he did mention that the majority of patients who where in the waiting room with him where non British, asians and eastern europeans to be exact, no surprise there then. That is why I will never vote Labour in a General Election ever again, they have opened our borders to far too many immigrants who as I've said before are bleeding the Health Service to death. It does make me wonder if we had private health schemes would this go some way to stop the influx?
The NHS is run by flippin immigrants these days as far as I can see.
Old 02-03-2008, 22:40   #230
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
The NHS is run by flippin immigrants these days as far as I can see.
twas one that operated on me last week, n a damn good job of it he did.
Old 02-03-2008, 22:56   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
twas one that operated on me last week, n a damn good job of it he did.
Foreign doc operated on my father last year ( cancer of the oesophagus ) wife’s consultant was a foreign lad, no quibbles about their abilities at all….wonder where our lot have gone though and the reasons why.

This is well off topic, sorry cllr jones
Old 03-03-2008, 08:21   #232

MichaelMoore.com : SiCKO : Latest 'SiCKO' News

Maybe you should watch this

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 14:26   #233
Junior Member+

As an Accringtonian in California who deals with the US healthcare system on a daily basis, I can sum it up as thus.

If you have a job, with health benefits, you are pretty well set. (Although the quotes that people have been getting assume that you don't pay any more money). Most plans have additional fees (either flat or a percentage) which are paid at the point of service.

If you have a job that doesnt offer health benefits, you are screwed. Healthcare costs are spiraling out of control. Companies are struggling to deal with it, and individuals are not being able to cope. Typically, they are increasing at 25% per year, due in large part to satisfy the needs of shareholders of insurance companies, and lawsuit friendly nature of the US. 83% of US healthcare spending is on non-patient related care.

Medicare isn't, as Councillor Jones said, a cover all system. It only provides for people over the age of 65. There are other state programs which offer means tested health benefits, but you would have to have almost zero income to qualify for almost all of these. With the budgetary issues that we have been having, most of these programs are being cut significantly. A perfect example last week was my wife's 97 year old grandmother being told that her cardiologist didnt want to see her any more because he wasn't getting enough money from the state. He talked her into signing up for spending an additional $97 a month so he could continue to see her by signing up with the insurance company rep that was hanging out in his waiting room.

IF you make a modest income, then there is almost no government help for you, and if you get sick or hurt in a car accident, or break your leg playing football, you can be financially ruined for life. My sister in law recently quit her job as she is pregnant, because she couldn't afford to pay for her stay in hospital to have her baby. By quitting she qualifies for a modicum of support from the government. That being said she still is on the hook for $500 per day for each day she, or her baby, is in hospital. God forbid it has a problem and stays there for a month, and run up $15,000 of medical bills.

I am lucky, I get bulletproof healthcare through my wife's chosen career, but medical debt is responsible for more personal bankruptcies in California than everything else put together. I LONG for the days of the NHS, at least as I remember it. I have been back home and been treated (the latest time at christmas this year) and I couldn't have asked for anything better. I understand personal experience may be different, but its just my opinion.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 16:53   #234
Give, give, give member

Thanks for sharing that personal insight with us Gareth, most interesting.

The N.H.S. does have it's faults, but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. I know that if I lived in the States, and having been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease at thirty nine, I'd not be receiving the drug treatment I'm getting now, mainly because of the expense.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 16:57   #235
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

No one is saying we don't want an NHS. We just want the Government to stop killing what we have.
Old 03-03-2008, 17:00   #236
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
No one is saying we don't want an NHS. We just want the Government to stop killing what we have.
Stop Labouring the point you silly cow!

We know what you meant.

Old 03-03-2008, 17:01   #237
Give, give, give member

See.

Back on track.

Old 03-03-2008, 18:36   #238
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I LONG for the days of the NHS, at least as I remember it. I have been back home and been treated (the latest time at christmas this year) and I couldn't have asked for anything better.
This is the problem it was a good health service until we opened the borders and let in far too many immigrants who come here and drain it of resources that the British taxpayers have funded. Can I ask did you become ill whilst in England or did you come over to get treatment that would have cost in the US?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 04-03-2008, 14:30   #239
Junior Member+

Quote:
This is the problem it was a good health service until we opened the borders and let in far too many immigrants who come here and drain it of resources that the British taxpayers have funded. Can I ask did you become ill whilst in England or did you come over to get treatment that would have cost in the US?

I got sick while I was attending a wedding in England. I was prescribed a ventolin inhaler which I paid for, and submitted my insurance paperwork to the doctor's office so that they could claim back the cost of my visit.

The ongoing problem that we are facing as a society, pretty much world wide, is that we are keeping more and more people alive for longer and longer and creating more need for health and human services.

We have the same issue with immigration - I live about 2 miles from the Mexican Border, and there is an issue of treating illegal immigrants and who pays for it. I am flying off topic:-). PB probably shouldn't have used the phrase "silly cow". But if he did he should have sucked it up and admitted it. I'd prefer a verbal abuser than a liar running my town.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 14:39   #240
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I got sick while I was attending a wedding in England. I was prescribed a ventolin inhaler which I paid for, and submitted my insurance paperwork to the doctor's office so that they could claim back the cost of my visit.

The ongoing problem that we are facing as a society, pretty much world wide, is that we are keeping more and more people alive for longer and longer and creating more need for health and human services.

We have the same issue with immigration - I live about 2 miles from the Mexican Border, and there is an issue of treating illegal immigrants and who pays for it. I am flying off topic:-). PB probably shouldn't have used the phrase "silly cow". But if he did he should have sucked it up and admitted it. I'd prefer a verbal abuser than a liar running my town.
Thank you for answering my question and not biting my head off (a few could learn from this).

Your final sentence says it all for me and I'm in total agreement with you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..