Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 20:42   #1
God Member

Smoking

Are taxi drivers exempt from the ban on smoking in their car? The reason I'm asking I've just been to the back door for a cigarette and a the driver of a taxi that went past was smoking. I thought it was against the law to smoke in a vehicle that was used for work!!
Old 10-11-2007, 20:45   #2
God Member

Re: Smoking

Not sure though if he doesn't have anyone in the car with him cant see a problem.
Old 10-11-2007, 20:48   #3
God Member

Think THIS might answer your question

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 20:55   #4
God Member

So he is breaking the law would imagine he is well aware that he isn't allowed to smoke. It will turn out to be a very expensive cigarette if he gets done for it.
Old 10-11-2007, 20:55   #5

I think like you do, they should leave the smoker,s alone and find something better to do,smokeing may be the only thing some of us do but what do the other people do what dont smoke...................................... and i would let you put your own thing to that,thankyou i have had my moan now.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 21:52   #6
God Member

In all fairness, this guy had NO-ONE in his cab.

The other thing is, this guy owns his own vehicle. That means HE pays tax, insurance,M.O.T, all work to that car etc ....... and should be able to smoke in his vehicle when there is no passengers.

I could understand if the government were prepared to pay for Tax,M.O.T, insurance etc then that car would belong to them, and then they can say what the hell they want.

It's all very OTT if you ask me.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 23:52   #7

Yeah but what if he was on his way to pick up a other and young child? You have to remember that the smoke would still be in the car and therefore the effects of passive smoking would be passed onto any passengers getting into the vehicle.
Old 11-11-2007, 00:02   #8
God Member

It is all OTT IMO
The smoking Ban is bad enough that even the non smokers are complaing about it . one woman said she was fed ou of being left sat on her own in the pub while all her mates went out for a fag ...

I think its high time our government got its act together .
smoke ......... Dont smoke ??????
so ok they want us to quit smoking so who can they hit for the taxes now . umm lets see . MOTORISTS lets just fine them for smoking in their cars . geeesh . do they really know what thay,re doing . NOPE
ok gripe over .
By the way im on 4 days without a ciggie .hehe
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:02   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
In all fairness, this guy had NO-ONE in his cab.

The other thing is, this guy owns his own vehicle.
In the eyes of the law that may be even worse. If he is an owner driver he might be classed as his own boss. Could he then get done for smoking in the work place and as his own boss get done for allowing himself to smoke in his work place
Old 11-11-2007, 12:24   #10
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
In the eyes of the law that may be even worse. If he is an owner driver he might be classed as his own boss. Could he then get done for smoking in the work place and as his own boss get done for allowing himself to smoke in his work place
If thetaxi is 'plated up' he is breaking the law, if he is the owner driver and removes all the plates thus making the vehical a private car he can do as he pleases, smoke and be happy. Mallard You'r point about a non smoker being left on his/her own, I found that to my cost at the last accy web meet.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:38   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I found that to my cost at the last accy web meet.
Are you sure that was to do with smoking
Old 11-11-2007, 13:41   #12
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are you sure that was to do with smoking
I shall take a 'thinker's' break Neil before responding to that, mind you I did not mind as the smell of second hand smoke, on clothes and in their hair makes me puke, but I'm not an anti smoker, I do not allow it in my home. so there..
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 14:11   #13
Give, give, give member

£60 fines are being introduced for smoking whilst driving, whoever you are.

Motorists risk £60 fines for smoking behind the wheel - Times Online

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 15:00   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
£60 fines are being introduced for smoking whilst driving, whoever you are.

Motorists risk £60 fines for smoking behind the wheel - Times Online
well thats me getting fined then.
Old 11-11-2007, 15:31   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well thats me getting fined then.
Wouldn't worry too much Cashy . covered this before in another thread (probably whilst you were away sunning yerself in sunny Spain )

Only if it can be proved you are driving without due care and attention whilst igniting/docking a fag. Can be done for this in any circumstance, as the article, drinking, reading a map, fiddling with your sat. nav, changing cassette, turning around to tell of the kids, etc., etc.

No legislation, like mobile phones, on this .. they would have too many, and police busy enough already. Just the press putting a spin on it I would imagine.

Re: the taxi driver.. does say private hire vehicles, but there is no law that says you cannot smoke in a company vehicle whilst on your own, even though you could be picking up a colleague a little later.

Last edited by katex; 11-11-2007 at 15:35.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..