Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 23:06   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I need to use high temperatures for heavy soiled things, which also means they only last that once.
It also means you use more electricity for your wash. Think green
Old 14-11-2007, 23:15   #32
God Member

I have one hot wash and 3 cool per week. A bag of soap nuts will give me 6 months of pollution free laundry - can't get greener than that.
My condenser boiler is 95% efficient - so much so that I have just had a £200refund from my fuel supplier.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 23:19   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My condenser boiler is 95% efficient
No it's not. Those figures are rubbish. It is the maximum efficiency not the constant efficiency figure. I can't remember if they achieve that when running flat out, ie making hot water or while ticking along keeping the house warm.
Old 14-11-2007, 23:22   #34
God Member

I was told that by a Crudens fitter (contracted to Hyndburn Homes)
I dont understand the technical stuff -- I am saving loads of money so using less = logical?

Old 15-11-2007, 12:32   #35
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Oh hek, Jambutty, please don't attack the alcohol .. another of my life pleasures will go out of the window .. Only one pleasure left now, even that has its dangers . They'll be printing warnings on the sides of condoms next ...
Why not katex? Non smokers attacked tobacco smoking and destroyed my pleasure.

As I stated I do not use alcohol but nonetheless a couple of times a week at lunchtime me and some other old foggies met in a club for a few games of Crib or Whist and on occasions even Canasta. They drank their beer, I drank Coke, or orange or lemonade. Some of us smoked, some of us didn’t. But we were content with our lot. It gave us a break from staying indoors.

Then along came the no smoking in public places campaign and destroyed our game of cards. Thanks a bunch selfish jerks!

What really sticks in my craw is that the anti smoking campaigners complaining about passive smoking were quite content to jump in their precious cars and drive around polluting the atmosphere that I and everyone else was forced to breath in. And then to add insult to injury they now crow about how they can breath in ‘clean’ air whilst enjoying a pint. This ‘clean’ air that is full of vehicle exhaust pollutants. But it’s OK because they cause the pollution and they breath in their own muck but I am forced to as well.

Not too different to smokers, is it?

We put up with the drunken yobbos damaging our gardens, cars and creating merry hell on the streets. We put up with the hospitals being overloaded with injured drunks, whilst we waited for an ambulance to take one of us to hospital for some serious reason.

Alcohol has caused more harm to others than smoking tobacco ever did and it is high time that its use was severely curtailed.

I support any campaign that restricts the purchase and consumption of alcohol to what it used to be and also restricts where it can be bought. Pubs, clubs, restaurants and Off Licence premises only - between the hours of 10:00am and 3:00pm and 6:00pm and 11:00pm. Night clubs 9:00pm to 2:00am with no entry after 11:00pm. No alcohol consumption in open public spaces other than an enclosed beer garden attached to a licensed premises.

A failed breathalyser driver would have his vehicle impounded there and then and if the case is proven in court the car would be crushed if over 5 years old or auctioned off if under 5 years old with the proceeds going to a victims of alcohol abuse compensation fund.

Alcohol related crimes or public disorder would be met with at the very least punitive fines in the order of several hundred pounds.
Old 16-11-2007, 08:18   #36
God Member

Do you recall those claims that the heart attack rate in Scotland reduced by 17% due to the smoking ban---------LIES!!!!!!!!
BBC NEWS | Magazine | The facts in the way of a good story

Old 25-11-2007, 14:05   #37
Resting in Peace

Well, was out last night in a busy pub and, yes, could smell the air better inside ...you guessed it, what was the dominant smell ....

SWEAT Get some decent anti-perspirants folks.

See Ian's favourite person Mr. Pratt is now complaining in the Observer about people smoking outside pubs/clubs and shops .. says is far worse now and a walk in the fresh air is no longer possible and subjected to more passive smoke than ever ! He returns home with a tobacco taste in his mouth.!

For heaven's sake man .. most smoking areas of pubs are at the back, and always been people smoking outside shops 'cause shops have not allowed you to smoke inside their premises for years.

Walk on the other side .. sure he is doing it on purpose .. oh, and be careful don't take in those petrol fumes either.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 18:22   #38
God Member

I think the law is, if the vehicle is company owned, even if you are the sole driver, you cannot smoke in it, and have to have no smoking signs in the window, If you own the vehicle, you can smoke, providing nobody else is, or is going to use the vehicle. But it is overkill, I am afraid I will be in the dock one day, accused of smoking in my own company vehicle.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 18:27   #39
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

if its a work vehicle ya cant smoke in it...simple....be it a bus, lorry, van or taxi!

but a company one?
Id a thought that didnt count
Old 25-11-2007, 18:41   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
does seem daft that you cant smoke in a car or taxi cause it might affect someones health but you can churn out carbon monoxide from your exhaust whilst stuck at the lights

Shhhhh, THEY were hoping that we hadn't noticed the irony

With all this govt. busy work going on, it's surprising you guys are allowed to f**t upwind of an unsuspecting fellow citizen
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 19:24   #41
Resting in Peace

Here we go again, think you are quite safe derekgas:-

http://www.pinsentmasons.com/media/134379445.pdf
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..