Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 15:38   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I do not allow it in my home. so there..
Eeeeew Bernie, is he always this masterful ? ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2007, 15:41   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Eeeeew Bernie, is he always this masterful ? ..
Take no notice Kate, don't smoke in the house as I don't want to be decorating all the time.
Old 13-11-2007, 15:17   #18
Senior Member+

i dont smoke in the house either ecause of the children.. i am not allowed to smoke in my car because it has the company name on the side and is classed as a business car, even tho the car has nothing to do with the business, its just advertising it...... thinking of quitting before i freeze to death outside!!!

emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 17:59   #19
Senior Member+

does seem daft that you cant smoke in a car or taxi cause it might affect someones health but you can churn out carbon monoxide from your exhaust whilst stuck at the lights

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 18:34   #20

the law includes taxis
Old 13-11-2007, 18:45   #21
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=emamum23;493007] i am not allowed to smoke in my car because it has the company name on the side and is classed as a business car, even tho the car has nothing to do with the business, its just advertising it...... thinking of quitting before i freeze to death outside!!

Again, emamum, don't think illegal to smoke in this class of car. Is it your car then or company car ? Not like a hire car, is it. Worth checking out. Even if company car (as mentioned previously) can smoke if no colleagues in there.
Old 13-11-2007, 19:05   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Even if company car (as mentioned previously) can smoke if no colleagues in there.
It might be a company policy thing
Old 13-11-2007, 19:24   #23
Resting in Peace

If you are a disabled person... that needs care in the home ( from agency's or similar) you are not allowed to smoke for an hour before they visit....

I feel really sorry for some people, because right or wrong, in many cases smoking will be there one and only pleasure... I hope all the potential carers will stick to the same and not smoke, for one hour before they do a home visit.... ( I could not do that, if I was a carer )
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 19:34   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
If you are a disabled person... that needs care in the home ( from agency's or similar) you are not allowed to smoke for an hour before they visit....
Yeh, is that the daftest rule or what ? How they going to know anyway ? Unless some nosy bizzybody peering through your windows. Can always hit the air freshener when the door bell goes.
Old 13-11-2007, 19:42   #25
God Member

Quote:
Yeh, is that the daftest rule or what ? How they going to know anyway ? Unless some nosy bizzybody peering through your windows. Can always hit the air freshener when the door bell goes.
Kate - shame on you - I have told you that those air fresheners are more poisonous than fag smoke!!!
Best do what I do - keep the air clean with air washing machines that use essential oils only (no toxins) and are aromapathic. No fag smells in my home and cut down on the redecorating too.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 16:18   #26
Apprentice Geriatric

Thumbs down Re: Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I wonder how they equate that with residents of a care home being able to smoke whilst the staff cannot. Do the residents have to sit in a smoke free room for an hour before they get attention?

Let’s carry that forward to the silliest conclusion of all. You collapse at home and when the Jolly Green Giants arrive they smell the smoke as they enter your front door and ask, “How long ago since you smoked a fag?”
“Fifteen minutes!”
“Sorry we can’t come in for another 45 minutes.”

What about a copper knocking on your door asking to come in to ask you a few questions.
“I’ve just had a fag, you’ll have to wait an hour.” You know what the response will be.

Even worse is the fire brigade turning up to a chip pan fire but you open the door with a fag in your mouth.
“Sorry Mr. XXXXX we can’t come in for an hour, you are smoking.”

When this “no smoking in enclosed public places” thing appeared on the agenda, I like many others, warned of a can of worms being opened that would lead to greater things.

This government, in its mad dash to totally control our lives from cradle to grave, having tasted success with smokers are now going after the food that we eat, drinkers and the usual motorist.

You non-smokers asked for it and now you are going to get more than you bargained for.

In the forthcoming alcohol debate I am going to employ the same attitude that the non-smokers did for the smoking debate. Being a non-drinker of booze I’m all for having extremely severe restrictions placed on when and where you can buy it and when and where you can drink it and all the other garbage that we smokers have to put up with now.
Old 14-11-2007, 16:39   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
In the forthcoming alcohol debate I am going to employ the same attitude that the non-smokers did for the smoking debate. Being a non-drinker of booze I’m all for having extremely severe restrictions placed on when and where you can buy it and when and where you can drink it and all the other garbage that we smokers have to put up with now.
Will you allow us to drink in pubs or will we have to go outside in shelters?
Old 14-11-2007, 18:30   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Will you allow us to drink in pubs or will we have to go outside in shelters?
I’m not suggesting any rules.

But I will support whatever the government comes up with to restrict the sale and use of alcohol.

I’m only following the lead shown by the non-smokers.

Last edited by jambutty; 14-11-2007 at 18:33.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 22:33   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Kate - shame on you - I have told you that those air fresheners are more poisonous than fag smoke!!!
Best do what I do - keep the air clean with air washing machines that use essential oils only (no toxins) and are aromapathic. No fag smells in my home and cut down on the redecorating too.
Hangs head in shame .. but those soap nuts got a really bad rating in that ther' programme Margaret .. useless at cleaning yer clothes.

Oh hek, Jambutty, please don't attack the alcohol .. another of my life pleasures will go out of the window .. Only one pleasure left now, even that has its dangers . They'll be printing warnings on the sides of condoms next ...
Old 14-11-2007, 22:45   #30
God Member

I am still using soapnuts and like them, but do find that I need to use high temperatures for heavy soiled things, which also means they only last that once. For 'non mucky' stuff at 30 or 40 degrees they last for 3 or 4 washes, and do come out soft without fabric conditioner.

I have been websearching today for a petrochemic free carpet cleaner and found some 'all purpose' stuff at
Home Page - Aubrey Organics
Earthaware All-purpose Household Cleanser - Aubrey Organics
now awaiting delivery.

I tried making a soapnut solution but found it clogged my carpet shampoo machine because I couldn't filter it fine enough.

Last edited by MargaretR; 14-11-2007 at 22:48.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..