Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 07:56   #16
Senior Member+

Re: So much to remember....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I really daren't tot up the number of things I have to remember....it would be much too scary. Gayle, are you also expected to remember all the birthdays....not just for your own family, but those of his family.....and friends too....? I know that I am. If anything ever happens to me my hubby will be unable to get any money from the hole in the wall so he will starve to death......and no-one will get either cards or presents.
That's what my wife keeps telling me, what would we all do without the good lady of the house

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2005, 08:28   #17
God Member

Well when birthdays and the like are chucked in then I am in a mess having enough trouble with passwords for work etc. I forget birthdays on a regular basis and dispite using post it notes still miss them.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:20   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
I forget birthdays on a regular basis and dispite using post it notes still miss them.
Yes, I also use post it notes but the people I give them to tell me they would rather have a card!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:37   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
gayle i am very good at remembering usernames and passord so please feel free to pm me your passwords etc to online banking etc for safe storage , its always a good idea to have a backup incase yu forget and i realy dont mind adding your usernames and passwords to my list
Thanks for your generous offer but I'll stick to relying on my memory - it hasn't failed me yet! Not like my friend who had all her passwords in her mobile phone and had it stolen last week!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:38   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
You dinosaur .
Yep - I've tried having one of those palmtops but it's not for me. I love my diary with all it's little notes in it and doodles. So much more fun!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:34   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Thanks for your generous offer but I'll stick to relying on my memory - it hasn't failed me yet! Not like my friend who had all her passwords in her mobile phone and had it stolen last week!
ouch thats got to hurt i hope she managed to change thjem in time

mobile phones are mre like personal organisers these days yet are one of the most easily items to loose and most sought after by theives.

your better off writing usernames and passwords on a piece of paper and hiding it under the carpet than using your mobile phone
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 13:03   #22
God Member

I cheat slightly I keep mine on the works computer network. If I forget some of them which is at least everythird day I just retrieve them. Thats until I forget my works logon.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 13:28   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: So much to remember....

How many people use an actual word as a password on the Internet, I wonder? My guess is that most people do. Well you are just asking to have it discovered and it can be done with a few seconds if the word is in a standard dictionary as was demonstrated on TV a couple of weeks back.

For all Internet passwords, for your own security you should use random characters – at least 12 or preferably 15 or even 20.

So how are you expected to remember something like QSJ2s4FNwdzPisORvv1m I hear people asking.

You can’t but the solution is simple. Use your word processor or even WordPad or NotePad and create a document that contains the name of the site, your user name and your password. Then all you have to do is copy and paste when accessing a particular site. Save the document to floppy or if you are feeling paranoid save it to TWO floppies. Just remember to update them both as you get new passwords or change your existing ones.

Better still get yourself RoboForm for FREE and let it keep all your passwords securely. Over 8 million users cannot be wrong. I have used RoboForm for some five years now, surf all over the place on a daily basis and NEVER had my passwords compromised. But then who would possibly be able to guess something like B5VrFIJ7aShW0AuRutj8? Even if some enterprising hacker wrote a script to trawl through all the possible combinations (62 to the power of 20 = approx 700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) it would take years using the IBM’s BlueGene/L at 70.72 teraflops the fastest computer on the planet. Most mortals are not in that league so it would take them hundreds of years. Hardly worth the effort.

The free version is limited to 10 passwords but the pro version for a mere $29.95 (about £17) has unlimited password storage and is the best money you will ever spend on the Internet. I’m not allowed to publish the RoboForm URL but you don’t need a degree to figure it out as a dot come site.

RoboForm doesn’t just remember your passwords but will also fill in forms with whatever details you want it to and includes a password generator for up to 512 characters. Not that you would ever want to use that many.

Windows will often ask you if you want it to remember your user name & password when you input the details for the first time. DECLINE as it is not secure.

Obviously RoboForm is of no use for access codes at work etc. but it will cut down what you have to remember and will allow you to use secure random characters rather than a 4 digits code or real word.

It works for me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..