Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2006, 17:02   #16

Re: Somebody reads accyweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
Why not lower the age to 17 then we can have all the older 16 year olds saying it's wrong. In thats case lets lower it to 16 and we can have all the older 15 yr olds saying it's wrong etc etc etc. There has to be a legal age that is clearly defined.

Personally I would raise it to 21
Yes, of course. I wouldnt expect it to become a written law. But maybe the Police could turn a blind eye to 17 year olds etc.. behaving themselves on a night out..
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2006, 17:05   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
Yes, of course. I wouldnt expect it to become a written law. But maybe the Police could turn a blind eye to 17 year olds etc.. behaving themselves on a night out..
Where do you draw the line though? Car crime? "honestly officer, i only took the car for a short time".

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 17:08   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Dress older.

I was out clubbing aged 12.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 17:11   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Dress older.

I was out clubbing aged 12.
Doesn't always work. Hyndburn has the "Challenge 21" scheme. Whereby, anyone that appears to be under 21 years old, must be asked for identification.

Old 31-10-2006, 17:16   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
Doesn't always work. Hyndburn has the "Challenge 21" scheme. Whereby, anyone that appears to be under 21 years old, must be asked for identification.

OK, dress older, act older, don't get pished, and you'll be fine.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 17:19   #21
Senior Member+

The fact is that, the police are coming down a lot harder on those that supply alcohol to the underage people these days. One of the town centre pubs got caught last week. The manager was fined £2000, the member of staff that served them was fined £80 & then sacked.

Old 31-10-2006, 17:21   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
.. why do bouncers not let people in if they are 'underage'? Surely it must be illegal?
That's a good point morgan, Accyjay ? what is your guidance on this point and is he correct ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 17:25   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
That's a good point morgan, Accyjay ? what is your guidance on this point and is he correct ?
No, he's not correct, as i stated earlier. The "doormen" won't let under 18's in because, in most cases it's a term of the premises license that no person under the age of 18 years old, be allowed on the premises after a certain time (i.e. 7pm).

Where it is part of the premises license, should any under 18's be allowed in, the license is then in-valid. Therefore the pub / club must close. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by AccyJay; 31-10-2006 at 17:31.
Old 31-10-2006, 17:46   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's not against the law for you to have a drink in a pub or club. However, it is illegal for you to buy alcohol, or for somebody else to buy it for you. The person that either sold you the drinks or purchased them for you could be prosecuted.
So what you saying above ^ is that 16 year olds are allowed in but with restrictions i.e. not after 7 a.m. ? Clubs very rarely open before this time surely.... yes, I am very confused now.
Old 31-10-2006, 17:48   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Where it is part of the premises license, should any under 18's be allowed in, the license is then in-valid. Therefore the pub / club must close. Hope this makes sense.
Don't understand a word of that Accyjay. ????
Old 31-10-2006, 18:00   #26
God Member

I always thought you were allowed in a pub at 16 without an adult as long as you drank non-alcoholic stuff. Under the age of 16 you had to have an adult with you and be out of the pub by 8pm.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 18:04   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
I always thought you were allowed in a pub at 16 without an adult as long as you drank non-alcoholic stuff. Under the age of 16 you had to have an adult with you and be out of the pub by 8pm.
There are also different rules where there is food being served too, isn't there ? but they can stay in until 9 (like the one next to Burnley cinema) ... well, in some places is later .. more confused now.
Old 31-10-2006, 19:35   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

This wasn't meant to end up a legal/illegal yoof drinking thread, I think the young have far more to offer but are not allowed the chance to prove themselves, if we are going to force them into a you are not able to decide for yourself situation, then why are they allowed to have sex at 16? If an important decision such as that can be left to their 'indiscretion', then so should drinking and which is the next idiot you are going to vote for, after all, the former will have a greater immediate effect!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:56   #29
Senior Member+

I got this from the Essex police website. Hope it makes thing a bit clearer.

Quote:
Selling alcoholic drink to a person under 18 years of age

The Licensing Act 2003 maintains the position of making it illegal to sell alcohol to a person under 18 years of age and removes the previous exemptions.

This means it is an offence to buy alcohol for someone under 18yrs with the monthly shopping and then bring it home for their later consumption. If it is spontaneously decided to share a glass of wine from a bottle with a person under 18 then the alcohol was not purchased with the intention at the time of sale and no offence is committed. Research shows that teaching young people to drink responsibly doesn't reduce the risk of problematic drinking later in life. In fact current research shows that we may be teaching them how to binge drink.

It is also an offence for a person under 18 years to consume alcohol on licensed premises.

It is also an offence to buy alcohol and give it to someone under 18yrs - except that a person may buy beer, cider or wine for someone over 16years and under 18yrs to go with a table meal and that they are accompanying that person.

It is also an offence to send a child to obtain alcohol. E.g. a person over 18yrs orders and pays for alcohol over the phone and then they send the child to collect it.

It is a defence to sell if the person had no idea they were under 18 and no cause to have such a belief, or that they satisfied themselves that they were over 18 - For this reason most premises adopt a challenge 21 policy and demand to see only a *passport, photo driving licence or PASS accredited card as proof of age. Nothing else should be accepted.
It remains an offence to provide alcohol to a child under 7yrs

*Please note that Hyndburn's licensed premises are only allowed to accept a valid passport or a photo driving licence.

Advice - Licensing law and guidelines

Erowid Alcohol Vaults : Law : Alcohol Drinking Age in the U.K. (England, Scotland, Wales)

Old 02-11-2006, 11:55   #30
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Doormen can refuse admission to anyone regardless what their age is, a man of 70 was asked to leave a town centre pub, for chatting to young girls, the fact that they were his grandchildren did not wash with them, they thought he was a dirty old man and he had to go.
Yes I do agree young people should be allowed in pub's, most of us have drunk underage so why not under supervision of an adult.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..