Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 17:09   #1
Resting in Peace

Something doesn't seem right here

Former Premier League Footballer Andrew Hall, 18 has been jailed for the murder of his 15 year old girlfriend the judge said it was because he was jealous of her other friends. He knifed her around 60 times in her own home, yet the Judge sentenced him to life in prison, with a requirement that he serves at least 10 yearsTen flaming years, if that had been my daughter I'd have been pulling my hair out at that sentence, knifing anybody 60 times tells me and most right minded people that this chap is a very dangerous person, and the thought that he could be back on the streets in 10 years is, to say the least frightening
Old 07-09-2012, 19:31   #2

Re: Something doesn't seem right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Former Premier League Footballer Andrew Hall, 18 has been jailed for the murder of his 15 year old girlfriend the judge said it was because he was jealous of her other friends. He knifed her around 60 times in her own home, yet the Judge sentenced him to life in prison, with a requirement that he serves at least 10 yearsTen flaming years, if that had been my daughter I'd have been pulling my hair out at that sentence, knifing anybody 60 times tells me and most right minded people that this chap is a very dangerous person, and the thought that he could be back on the streets in 10 years is, to say the least frightening
Depends on the sentence Jaysay - if it was an indeterminate sentence that means that he would have to wait ten years before parole could be considered. He would not be able to apply for parole but the board would decide whether he could apply. It would have to be determined that he had completed a number of courses, had been of good behaviour and was not assessed as still being dangerous. It would be very unlikely that he would be released at that point and it is possible that he may never be released.
A different sentence would mean that he could apply for parole himself but that doesn't mean it would be granted - he would have to meet the same criteria. Most people aren't paroled at their first application.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 20:00   #3
God Member

It's not right and everyone knows it..the sentence of "life" terms for murder has been a not so funny joke for many years..and everyone knows it's about time this government make good on the promise to sort it out.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 20:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It's not right and everyone knows it..the sentence of "life" terms for murder has been a not so funny joke for many years..and everyone knows it's about time this government make good on the promise to sort it out.
Please refer to above post! What is reported is not necessarily accurate.
Old 07-09-2012, 20:56   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Well said Mancie, but wrong to blame this lot, yeh they should make good the promise, but the fact is Labour were even worse.
Old 07-09-2012, 21:09   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well said Mancie, but wrong to blame this lot, yeh they should make good the promise, but the fact is Labour were even worse.
I'm not saying this lot are to blame but they did make a big play on making "life" mean life, but nothing has been done and to say any past government Tory or Labour have been even worse is not true.. I don't blame this government for any murders but to make a life sentence mean life has been law since the 50's.. if this government truly wanted to enforce a life sentence they could but it maybe one of the other things they put on the back burner... or nicely shoved it under the carpet ..Eh?

Last edited by Mancie; 07-09-2012 at 21:11.
Old 07-09-2012, 21:14   #7

Quote:
I'm not saying this lot are to blame but they did make a big play on making "life" mean life, but nothing has been done and to say any past government Tory or Labour have been even worse is not true.. I don't blame this government for any murders but to make a life sentence mean life has been law since the 50's.. if this government truly wanted to enforce a life sentence they could.
Please refer to my last posts, it really does depend on the sentence, if it's an indeterminate sentence for public protection it means that the person can be considered for parole after the determined period, but then if it's decided he might be eligible after meeting stringent criteria he/she can apply, but doesn't mean it will be granted. An indeterminate sentence is really much more serious than a life sentence when the prisoner can just apply after the designated sentence.
Old 07-09-2012, 21:15   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I'm not saying this lot are to blame but they did make a big play on making "life" mean life, but nothing has been done and to say any past government Tory or Labour have been even worse is not true.. I don't blame this government for any murders but to make a life sentence mean life has been law since the 50's.. if this government truly wanted to enforce a life sentence they could but it maybe one of the other things they put on the back burner... or nicely shoved it under the carpet ..Eh?
We will have to disagree on that point, Too many see good in everyone have infested the Labour party in my view,
Old 07-09-2012, 21:19   #9

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Depends on the sentence Jaysay - if it was an indeterminate sentence that means that he would have to wait ten years before parole could be considered. He would not be able to apply for parole but the board would decide whether he could apply. It would have to be determined that he had completed a number of courses, had been of good behaviour and was not assessed as still being dangerous. It would be very unlikely that he would be released at that point and it is possible that he may never be released.
A different sentence would mean that he could apply for parole himself but that doesn't mean it would be granted - he would have to meet the same criteria. Most people aren't paroled at their first application.
The sentence was life with a minimum term of 10 years..which is below the average given of 15years. Even if most people are not paroled first time, SOME are so this guy could be out in 10??

This was a 60 stab wound frenzied attack on the head, neck and upper chest with two knives..Ian Brady was given life with a 40 year minimum,..the judge had leeway here and totally fumbled the ball
Old 07-09-2012, 21:23   #10
God Member

Quote:
We will have to disagree on that point, Too many see good in everyone have infested the Labour party in my view,
Not sure what you are on about.. this bloke was sentenced yesterday.. what has is got to do with do gooding Labour?
Old 07-09-2012, 21:29   #11

I've just looked it up on the internet and it does seem like it's a life sentence rather than an indeterminate sentence. This means not that he'll be released automatically after ten years but that after ten years he can apply for parole - it's not often granted after the first hearing. But it does seem to be a light sentence for what he did.
Old 07-09-2012, 21:31   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Not sure what you are on about.. this bloke was sentenced yesterday.. what has is got to do with do gooding Labour?
Nothing at all, I'm referring to how the do-gooders have ruined a party i always supported. i'm near sure Labour could have won the last election if the ordinary people believed they still actually stood up fer em.
Old 07-09-2012, 21:48   #13
God Member

Quote:
Nothing at all, I'm referring to how the do-gooders have ruined a party i always supported. i'm near sure Labour could have won the last election if the ordinary people believed they still actually stood up fer em.
I'm near sure "do gooders" had nowt to do with the last election...like I say nothing much has changed regarding sentencing for murder since the 50's..there is still a "life means life" sentence for murder on the books..it applied to the Krays, Bradey and such..I was saying and will repeat that this government made the promise they would enforce that sentence but they have not.
Old 07-09-2012, 22:13   #14

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
I'm near sure "do gooders" had nowt to do with the last election...like I say nothing much has changed regarding sentencing for murder since the 50's..there is still a "life means life" sentence for murder on the books..it applied to the Krays, Bradey and such..I was saying and will repeat that this government made the promise they would enforce that sentence but they have not.
Basically according to law you have to be a serial killer (two or more premeditated murders) for life to actually mean life..so unless any serial killers have escaped this sentence under the present government, on this occasion, they have actually kept an election promise
Old 07-09-2012, 22:16   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
It may be on the books, but rarely used, I mean jeez go back to the train robbers n sentences they got, It depends who yeh upset i.e. that was the Government twas there money, going to be destroyed, but theres. The Krays - murdering thugs, but never really did much against the innocent folk, They upset the Yard n Met etc, The cruelty n severity of Brady n Hindley ensured by public opinion they would never be released, but dickhead Longford still tried to get Hindley out. Knobs like him have helped make society what it is today in my opinion.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..