Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 19:01   #1
Senior Member+

Teachers to 'Work to Rule'-will this be an improvement?

The teachers are threatening to work to rule from September 26th.
Does this mean they will now teach the children to read, write and do maths properly before they're 18 or will they carry on leaving it to employers and universities?
Or is teaching the three r's properly not part of their job and therefore not covered by the rules?
Also with 73% not voting at all and only 22% voting for action how can they say they have a credible mandate?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2012, 19:45   #2

Re: Teachers to 'Work to Rule'-will this be an improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
.....Also with 73% not voting at all and only 22% voting for action how can they say they have a credible mandate?
In exactly the same way that the current disgraceful Tory government steer the country's ship of state despite having won just over a fifth of the nation's potential votes.

Last edited by Neil; 10-09-2012 at 21:51. Reason: fix quote
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:52   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
In exactly the same way that the current disgraceful Tory government steer the country's ship of state despite having won just over a fifth of the nation's potential votes.
I know the Lib/Dems are a very forgettable party but have you forgotten they are part of this government? Anyway, the government hasn't gone on strike yet( although perhaps things would improve if they did).
Your answers to my first two questions?

Last edited by Neil; 10-09-2012 at 21:51. Reason: fix quote
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:15   #4
God Member

Quote:
I know the Lib/Dems are a very forgettable party but have you forgotten they are part of this government? Anyway, the government hasn't gone on strike yet( although perhaps things would improve if they did).
Your answers to my first two questions?
This government may not have gone on strike but from day one they have definitley been on a tory "work to rule" ..this mob are the laziest bunch of school kids to ever take control of this nation..first day in big form all the lessons were cuts cuts and cuts.. nowt else on the agenda!

Last edited by Neil; 10-09-2012 at 21:52. Reason: fix quote
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:32   #5
God Member

Quote:
Does this mean they will now teach the children to read, write and do maths properly before they're 18 or will they carry on leaving it to employers and universities?
Or is teaching the three r's properly not part of their job and therefore not covered by the rules?
Also with 73% not voting at all and only 22% voting for action how can they say they have a credible mandate?
Are you a teacher?.. I ask because you come across as having some insight into the level of education of school leavers.
Old 10-09-2012, 21:32   #6

Quote:
.....Your answers to my first two questions?
Well,as for teaching them to read, write and do maths properly, it kind of depends on what the flavour of the month is and whose educational experiences have equipped them to be the sole purveyor of wisdom re how to educate. Goalposts move more often than my bowels, and no matter how well the kids do, (see A level trends, Key Stage 2 SAT results improvement etc.) the poor bloody infantry get it in the neck from most sides.
What working to rule might mean is a lot more parents taking responsibility for their own kids for a while rather than using schools as cheap child minding services. (latest a child was left at my school was over 2 hours after school closed but many, many kids left on a daily basis for between 40 and 60 mins - just part of life's rich tapestry working in inner city/ generally deprived area schools).
Not sure if universities do much on basic literacy and numeracy, although I agree that employers do have to shore up spelling and numeracy skills for some employees. I've done it myself in a managerial capacity a few times in various jobs I've had, it's what I got paid the extra bucks for. Mainly the folk who needed the help were fairly regretful about having messed around so much at school when younger. As Stan Laurel used to say, "you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"

Last edited by Neil; 10-09-2012 at 21:52. Reason: fix quote
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:06   #7
God Member

Quote:
I'm having a pop at you Gordon because you are suggesting a large proportion of kids leave school without being able to read or write and this is the fault of teachers.. I left school in the 70's with no qualifications but had the basics.. I know of a few that left in my year that had difficulties in reading and writing despite the teaching standards...but I'd bet the percentage is no higher these days.

Just another question.. do you think the 25% cut in education funding annouced by this government (amid cheers from the tory back benches) will inprove the present situation?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..