Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 19:11   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: St.James churchyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
'Seating will be provided in the form of low level stone walls'.
Let's hope the 'performances' don't go on too long! Although the council won't be able to remove 'low stone walls' as easily as benches.
Perhaps it's going to be like Cornwall's Minack Theatre?

You sit on low stone walls there too.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-12-2011, 21:28   #32
Senior Member+

makes a mockery of the words final resting place, there used to be a graveyard on hyndburn road, now a car park for homebase. there used to be a graveyard on union street now a car park for the social services building and a part of the arndale centre. there used to be a graveyard on abbey street, now a car park for the swan pub. there is a theme developing here. do we realy want a bandstand and seating on the graves in St James. All the grass you see within the curtilage of the church have internments in them.
All these graveyards contained the remains of the people that built hyndburn, are we showing due respect
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 22:28   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if they were pretty recent burials then No it aint showing due respect,as fer graveyards that aint been used fer eons,then the jurys out we me, the one yeh mention on Hyndburn Rd Dave was used fer sheep waiting to be slaughtered across the road,when i was lad, so yeh could argue thats showing less respect?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
makes a mockery of the words final resting place, there used to be a graveyard on hyndburn road, now a car park for homebase. there used to be a graveyard on union street now a car park for the social services building and a part of the arndale centre. there used to be a graveyard on abbey street, now a car park for the swan pub. there is a theme developing here. do we realy want a bandstand and seating on the graves in St James. All the grass you see within the curtilage of the church have internments in them.
All these graveyards contained the remains of the people that built hyndburn, are we showing due respect
Probably one reason they ain't burring me Dave, its definitely ashes to ashes for me
Old 03-12-2011, 13:05   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Rix now you've spoiled my night bob reminding me of that guy
Sorry about that, Jay. Some bad smells just seem to linger.
Old 03-12-2011, 13:39   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Probably one reason they ain't burring me Dave, its definitely ashes to ashes for me
I have it planned how I want to go, and how I want disposing off.

I want to be shot... by a jealous husband on my 90th birthday.
I want to be cremated..........and my ashes placed under a loose womans bed.

and I dont mean "loose", as in falling to bits
Old 03-12-2011, 13:53   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if they were pretty recent burials then No it aint showing due respect,as fer graveyards that aint been used fer eons,then the jurys out we me, the one yeh mention on Hyndburn Rd Dave was used fer sheep waiting to be slaughtered across the road,when i was lad, so yeh could argue thats showing less respect?
good point, but sheep are not car parks.
I supervised the exumations of all the bodies in this grave yard, and the internments were of the people who built accrington into what you see today(well whats left), mill owners, foundry owners etc.

I dont think how long ago they died should impact on how you treat them in death.
So building a bandstand on them to me is disrespectful
Old 03-12-2011, 13:55   #38
I am Banned

Quote:

Thats a near enough quote that an old mate of mine used to say, only he wanted to be shot in the back when he was 95, by a jealous husband.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 14:00   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Oak St Congregational Church, & Graveyard is now a carpark, circa 1966.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 14:04   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Well I might agree with you there Dave especially if the jealous husbands wife was a 21 year old green eyed blond with big knockers
Old 03-12-2011, 14:11   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
good point, but sheep are not car parks.
I supervised the exumations of all the bodies in this grave yard, and the internments were of the people who built accrington into what you see today(well whats left), mill owners, foundry owners etc.

I dont think how long ago they died should impact on how you treat them in death.
So building a bandstand on them to me is disrespectful
yep,but sheep crapping all oer the graves don't seem very respectful to me either,so like i said, jurys out wi me.
Old 03-12-2011, 14:15   #42
I am Banned

Groove thinks its all about time. If the deceased in them graves have no relatives or anyone for that matter to tend,visit or even know about these graves it seems they are then fare game to be re-located...Groove too is unsure of the morality of this undertaking.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 15:17   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Groove thinks its all about time. If the deceased in them graves have no relatives or anyone for that matter to tend,visit or even know about these graves it seems they are then fare game to be re-located...Groove too is unsure of the morality of this undertaking.
So you would no doubt accept that it would be alright to disinterr all those currently buried inside Westminster Abbey and St Paul's Cathedral on the same grounds. And presumably the same would go for all those currently taking up space for no good reason in cemeteries across the world administered by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission?

What sort of country have we made where even the dead can find no rest?
Old 03-12-2011, 15:32   #44
Give, give, give member

Those plots would have been sold, and bought by people who thought their final resting place was for time immemorial.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 16:18   #45
God Member

I don’t see what all this fuss is about exhuming the contents of a few ancient coffins. We have always has Charnel House and Ossuaries in this country where human remains have been placed after graveyards are full to capacity or a new development needs to go over the top. In fact, given the overall grim ambiance of the place, I’m quite sure Ossy was named after the latter.

The only thing that concerns me is that this is not the only announcement this week about the redevelopment of Accy town centre; we have also had news about the Arcade being tarted up. In both schemes, money is reliant on national lottery funding. It seems to me that given the record of previous local grandiose plans that have come to nowt, the council would have been far better advised to say nothing until all the money is in place and then make public the go-ahead.

Maybe then some of those old bones that are dug up could be used to go on display in the Arcade. It would make the town centre one hell of a tourist attraction..A few skulls over the Church Street entrance and leg and arms over each shop window.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..