Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2005, 07:16   #1
Give, give, give member

Sunday, Boody Sunday.

As a Christian country were the majority of people don't atend Church, should Sunday be like every other day?
l used to have to work Sundays. l hated it, but liked having a day off in the week. When shopping is the new religon, and Super Markets are the new Cathedrals, should we not feel sorry for the people who work there, who if they have children won't see them, as schools do distinguish Sunday as being a day of rest? Or when most people work, is it good we can go shopping on Sunday?
l think it's a pity that for lots of people Sunday is a family day, but can't be for everyone because someones got to take their money.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2005, 09:34   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Sunday, Boody Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
As a Christian country were the majority of people don't atend Church, should Sunday be like every other day?
l used to have to work Sundays. l hated it, but liked having a day off in the week. When shopping is the new religon, and Super Markets are the new Cathedrals, should we not feel sorry for the people who work there, who if they have children won't see them, as schools do distinguish Sunday as being a day of rest? Or when most people work, is it good we can go shopping on Sunday?
l think it's a pity that for lots of people Sunday is a family day, but can't be for everyone because someones got to take their money.
1/ I avoid church (except when going to the Stag).
2/ I avoid shopping 24/7.
3/ Individual choice as to wether you shop on Sunday or not.
4/ The People that work Sundays in shops understand that it is part of the job just as it is for nurses, police, Firemen, Landlords & bar staff, etc. etc.
5/ Why not feel sorry for people that work nights as well? or are shop assistants a special case?

Last edited by Less; 13-03-2005 at 09:36.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 10:07   #3

If i didnt do so many hours on the other 6 days of the week id gladly work sunday for at least double time . Sunday equals recovery day from saturday night either that or waste the entire day on this sodding thing now accy is like a ghost town every sunday till the end of the month when people get paid again
Old 13-03-2005, 10:10   #4

I don't mind working Sundays at all. Its only a 10-4 shift and everyone seems more relaxed on a Sunday - its a pleasant atmosphere.
Old 13-03-2005, 10:14   #5

Think the worst would have to be what the place i was working at till last week wanted me to do work continental shifts and on nights , working 6 till 6 on a saturday night would have me climbing the walls and that is why i no longer work there
Old 13-03-2005, 10:17   #6
mez
God Member

i never used to mind working sundays, i worked in a nursing home & it was only every other week-end, but mabe if sundays got back to what it used to be: when most of us DID GO TO CHURCH/SUNDAY SCHOOL mabe it would change the way some of the kids are now. who knows?.
Old 13-03-2005, 10:28   #7
Senior Member+

Believe in God but do not do churches.In Germany you have to pay a Religion tax.So i opted out and now find i would have to pay 700 pounds to have my daughters christened.Church is just a business to me.
Old 13-03-2005, 10:47   #8
Roy
Administrator

The only reason why people work sunday is for money. The same reason as people work through the week. So, if you don't have enough money, or you want more money then you have to work sunday, if it is possible. It really is as simple as that.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 11:16   #9
I am Band

Talking Re: Sunday, Boody Sunday.

On the Seventh Day,
The Lord said,
"Let It Be Double Time!"
And it was... Hallelujah!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 11:46   #10
Give, give, give member

l agree with a lot of comments, that people do have some choice if they work Sundays. l'm single so it was never really a problem, as l enjoyed the time off on a weekday, when it was quieter. l do however feel sorry for families that can't have a day together, children don't have a choice what day's off they get, yet!
Other proffessions like nursing, restaurant and pub workers have always had to work unsocial hours admitedly.Retail workers have a choice in theory if they want to work Sundays, but wouldn't rate there chances much if they refused, so far as promotion, overtime or any other perks.
There's no chance it will ever change now, we expect 24/7 services. l've been off line for a bit to do my shopping!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 12:42   #11
Senior Member+

Have to argue that I don't have a choice about working Sundays;it's in my contract "for the needs of the business" and if I opted out of it the other 2 keyholders would be mighty p***ed off and would have to do 1 in 2 instead of 1 in 3.Think my Area Manager might have issues with it too.

I certainly don't do it for the money and would much rather have the weekend off to spend with my daughter than some mid-week day when everyone else is at work.{and before you all point out "get another job" I am trying!
Old 13-03-2005, 13:38   #12
Beacon of light

I never really minded working Sunday.....or nights for that matter, even though at the time my daughter was only young. If I got a day off during the week it meant I could get so much more done, and you can do your financial stuff during the week.
Nights...well I used to love 'em......it was lovely coming home and going to bed when it was cold and rainy, knowing everyone was toiling their way to work. Even in Summer I didn't mind.....would spend some time in bed and then get up and spend some time in the sun.
I used to stand on the balcony at the end of the 1968 wing at BRI and watch the drunks rolling home along Bolton Rd on a Saturday night. Aaah those were the days!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 13:39   #13
Beacon of light

Oh, and the other thing about working nights was.....hubby was on permanent nights too......so we had some 'snuggle time'
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 17:27   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I really don't mind working Sunday, I have only had 1 weekend off since New Year as I am contracted to help staff the unit 24/7. I do my share of nights, I didn't mind them when I was in my early 20's, used to get up early afternoon and sunbathe in the summer. I find now that my body is less tolerant of night shifts and certain functions do not work the same.. and I feel tired all of the time. Christmas day can be hard when your family are tucking into the turkey and you're at work running around like a headless chicken. Unfortunately we do not get double time for sundays, bank holidays and nights. The most we get paid for a shift is time and 2/3rds..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 17:47   #15
Member.

Sunday + Lake District x Beer =

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..